Upset With Astronomical Ticket Prices??

Like any other consumer, I hate paying astronomical prices, handling fees and other charges whenever I choose to attend a live event, but as I was scanning the headlines of another Husker website and read this I couldn’t help becoming quite alarmed!! Not only are ticket brokers and upset consumers petitioning to have a coercive monopoly force a legitimate business, at gun point, to comply with regulation for what they deem to be unfair “monopoly” business practices, but they are also making a grave economic error when they peg the rising ticket prices to greed on the part of the “live event industry behemoths” rather than as a mere increase in event demand or as a disastrous consequence of already strictly enforced government event and zoning regulation.

As consumers, it is a common mistake of only looking at the seen, and ignoring the unseen, and as the folks calling for more market regulation, price fixing, and an end to a market “monopoly” will find out, what they desire will lead to worse and often unintended consequences if they continue their quest. What they are requesting will not lower prices or make events more consumer friendly, but instead will limit the competition, limit the supply, and in the end increase ticket prices and create the exact opposite effect of what they seeking.

Imagine what could happen if all these angry consumers, instead of petitioning for laws which force businesses to comply to government regulation at gun point, actually used their power as voluntary consumers to alter the market. Is anyone forcing them to attend the events held by Ticketmaster or Live Nation? Why not refuse to give them your money by not attending? Why not advocate that others do the same? Have any of them tried to contact venues to find out about alternative ticket purchasing? Also, if that many people are unhappy with the product, isn’t that a tell-tell sign for a striving entrepreneur to enter the live event market as a competitor? Is the only way we know how to solve a problem by reaching for the gun?