Haitian Earthquake Caused By Global Warming?

Danny Glover, Hollywood's resident useful idiot, whose forte' is dining with ruthless dictators while the people of that country are starving outside the palace walls, blames the Haitian earthquake on Global Warming.

"What happened in Haiti could happen to anywhere in the Caribbean because all these island nations are in peril because of global warming," Glover said. "When we see what we did at the climate summit in Copenhagen, this is the response, this is what happens, you know what I'm sayin'?"

Robertson said worshiping the Devil caused this. Glover says this happened because no one worshiped at the church of Global Warming.

Worship..not worship...I'm confused. :dunno

I have an idea. How about you both have a Coke and a smile and please STFU.

http://www.livescience.com/environment/070830_gw_quakes.html

Bill McGuire of the University College London's Hazard Research Center.

One particular feature that can change the balance of forces in Earth's crust is ice, in the form of glaciers and ice sheets that cover much of the area around Earth's poles plus mountains at all latitudes. The weight of ice depresses the crust on which it sits.

As the ice melts, the crust below no longer has anything sitting on top of it, and so can rebound fairly rapidly (by geological standards). (This rebounding is actually occurring now as a result of the end of the last Ice Age: The retreat of massive ice sheets from the northern United States and Canada has allowed the crust in these areas to bounce back.)

Areas of rebounding crust could change the stresses acting on earthquake faults and volcanoes in the crust.

"In places like Iceland, for example, where you have the Eyjafjallajökull ice sheet, which wouldn't survive [global warming], and you've got lots of volcanoes under that, the unloading effect can trigger eruptions," McGuire said.

With the changing dynamics in the crust, faults could also be destabilized, which could bring a whole host of other problems.

"It's not just the volcanoes. Obviously if you load and unload active faults, then you're liable to trigger earthquakes," McGuire told LiveScience, noting that there is ample evidence for this association in past climate change events.

"At the end of the last Ice Age, there was a great increase in seismicity along the margins of the ice sheets in Scandinavia and places like this, and that triggered these huge submarine landsides which generated tsunamis," McGuire said. "So you've got the whole range of geological hazards there that can result from if we see this big catastrophic melting."

Roland Burgmann, a geologist at the University of California, Berkeley, agrees that changes in ice cover can have significant effects on the underlying crust, but says that more research needs to be done to determine the actual scale of the threat and where the effects are most likely to occur.

http://www.livescience.com/environment/070830_gw_quakes.html

Bill McGuire of the University College London's Hazard Research Center.

One particular feature that can change the balance of forces in Earth's crust is ice, in the form of glaciers and ice sheets that cover much of the area around Earth's poles plus mountains at all latitudes. The weight of ice depresses the crust on which it sits.

As the ice melts, the crust below no longer has anything sitting on top of it, and so can rebound fairly rapidly (by geological standards). (This rebounding is actually occurring now as a result of the end of the last Ice Age: The retreat of massive ice sheets from the northern United States and Canada has allowed the crust in these areas to bounce back.)

Areas of rebounding crust could change the stresses acting on earthquake faults and volcanoes in the crust.

"In places like Iceland, for example, where you have the Eyjafjallajökull ice sheet, which wouldn't survive [global warming], and you've got lots of volcanoes under that, the unloading effect can trigger eruptions," McGuire said.

With the changing dynamics in the crust, faults could also be destabilized, which could bring a whole host of other problems.

"It's not just the volcanoes. Obviously if you load and unload active faults, then you're liable to trigger earthquakes," McGuire told LiveScience, noting that there is ample evidence for this association in past climate change events.

"At the end of the last Ice Age, there was a great increase in seismicity along the margins of the ice sheets in Scandinavia and places like this, and that triggered these huge submarine landsides which generated tsunamis," McGuire said. "So you've got the whole range of geological hazards there that can result from if we see this big catastrophic melting."

Roland Burgmann, a geologist at the University of California, Berkeley, agrees that changes in ice cover can have significant effects on the underlying crust, but says that more research needs to be done to determine the actual scale of the threat and where the effects are most likely to occur.

Last time I checked there were no sheets of ice ON HAITI before this earthquake. HUMAN CAUSED GLOBAL WARMING IS A DAMN SCAM. I only say human caused because I, like many others with a NORMAL dose of COMMON SENSE fully understand that NATURALLY the earth can cool and warm thru periods of numerous years. Hey, Doosh Gore, you shoulda been in Nebraska a week in half ago with -40 wind chills, there's your frickin warming a-hole.

this reply has had no intention of offending bennychico. thank you

Last time I checked there were no sheets of ice ON HAITI before this earthquake. HUMAN CAUSED GLOBAL WARMING IS A DAMN SCAM. I only say human caused because I, like many others with a NORMAL dose of COMMON SENSE fully understand that NATURALLY the earth can cool and warm thru periods of numerous years. Hey, Doosh Gore, you shoulda been in Nebraska a week in half ago with -40 wind chills, there's your frickin warming a-hole.

this reply has had no intention of offending bennychico. thank you

no offense taken.

I think one of the biggest myths of global warming is that because the word "warming" is in it's title, that automatically means that we should be having warming temperatures if it were true. The overall consensus is that just because in your backyard it's cold right now...the overall temperature in the rest of the world (particularly the places most effected like the polar ice caps) is getting warmer. It's the average global surface temperatures that scientists look at.

Not only that but I think global warming just means "f'd up temperatures". The -40 wind chills you experienced...is pretty f'd up. I think here in KC they said it was the coldest it's been in 20 years?! That's not normal. The more I think about it too, the more crazy the weather has been over the past year. Ups and downs in just a matter of a few days. We had 2-3 feet of snow on the ground last week and this weekend it's supposed to be 50* here? I think that's pretty strange for January.

I'm no climatologist but I definitely think there's been something up with the overall temperature of the Earth. How much fossil fuel have we burned since the start of the 1900's and the Industrial Revolution? Since the start of the automobile and chemical refineries? How many times have we seen pictures of LA or other major cities and noticed how dirty the air looks? Where do you think all this goes? It's estimated that burning fossil fuels creates 21.3 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide a year, while the earth's natural processes can only absorb half that much.

Now, whether or not that caused Haiti's earthquake in a tickle down effect...I don't know.

I would have to go track the article down, but the 'warming' that gets talked about is something in the area of 1 or 2 degrees change per century. And this is being based off just the numbers they have. Its largely a scare tactic IMO. There is nothing wrong with wanting to 'go green' I am all for better air and water quality, but talking about it as the end of the world is just dumb. There is simply not enough evidence. The whole planet has been warming up since the ice age, using data that only even exists from the last 100ish years and using it to build trends in a complex system that has billions of years of history does not really work.

I would have to go track the article down, but the 'warming' that gets talked about is something in the area of 1 or 2 degrees change per century. And this is being based off just the numbers they have. Its largely a scare tactic IMO. There is nothing wrong with wanting to 'go green' I am all for better air and water quality, but talking about it as the end of the world is just dumb. There is simply not enough evidence. The whole planet has been warming up since the ice age, using data that only even exists from the last 100ish years and using it to build trends in a complex system that has billions of years of history does not really work.

Absolutely.

The first sign you know something is amiss in all this warming hysteria is politicians circling like vultures. They flock to bullsh#t like flies.

Holy Sh@t, I actually agree with something strigori says!!