Hometown: St. Louis, Missouri

School: Chaminade

Position: RB

Height: 5'10"

Weight: 170 lbs

40 time: 4.4

Visit Date:

Scholarship Offers: Nebraska, Iowa State,

Interests: Nebraska, Arkansas, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Wisconsin

COMMITTED TO IOWA STATE

Rivals: NR

Scout: NR

ESPN: NR

*Attended Missouri & Kansas Junior days. To attend N's Junior day Feb 27.

Currently has Nebraska in the lead, followed by Illinois, Iowa, and then Missouri. He says he has followed the Huskers growing up and people in his family are Husker fans. He is the teammate of another Husker target, Christian Suntrup. Standard plans to be at Nebraska's Junior Day later this month, and may also come to the Spring Game.

• Fire 1
Football: Speed, strength makeup Chaminade's Standard

Sophomore tailback is the Red Devils top offensive weapon

By David Kvidahl

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 3:50 PM CST

Rob Standard will embarrass you.

He'll leave you grabbing at air. He'll shake you out of your jock strap. He'll leave you wondering "what was that red blur?"

He's a Ferrari. You're a Gremlin.

He's a fighter jet. You've got the Wright brothers pedaling.

Standard, the sophomore running back for the Chaminade football team, is one of the most remarkable young athletes in St. Louis.

This season, Standard has rushed for 2,226 yards and 28 touchdowns. He's carried the ball a whopping 255 times for an average of almost nine yards per carry.

Tonight, another opponent will get a taste of Standard, as Chaminade (7-3) hosts Jackson (5-5) at 7 p.m. in a Class 5 regional matchup. The winner of tonight's game will play at Parkway North (8-2) on Monday.

Chaminade is in the playoffs because of what Standard brings to the offense. He's elusive enough to make a defender miss, speedy enough to blow by tacklers in the open field and patient enough to allow the play to develop. Everyone on the Red Devil offense blocks. Whether it's the offensive line, senior fullback Trevor LaBarge or the wide receivers down field, everyone gets a man and locks them up, so Standard can do what he does best.

"My coach is teaching me patience to let the blocks develop," Standard said.

While the 16-year-old is elusive and speedy, he's not shy about dropping a shoulder when needed.

"I want to show (tacklers), I'm 5-10, 165," he said. "I can get big with you."

Chaminade coach Doug Taylor says while you might see Standard's speed and quickness, it's his toughness that shines through.

"When he gets popped, he hops right back up and is in the huddle," Taylor said. "He's not going to show you that you hurt him. That's a huge edge for him."

Standard spent the summer focusing on football. He said his offseason was devoted to getting faster, stronger and harder to tackle. He spent an inordinate amount of time getting his footwork down, so the incredible dance he does against a defense looks so easy.

"In the summer, I worked on my cutbacks every day," he said. "Every day, I trained. It pays off when you work hard."

Standard says part of the reason he put so much time in during the summer was the excellence of Tim Clark. Clark graduated in the spring, but spent his senior fall toting the load for the Red Devils. Standard watched up close and personal as Clark put in the time.

"His cuts were unbelievable," Standard said.

With Clark, a natural leader, lost to graduation, Standard knew his role would be much bigger this season. He's spent every day since attempting to do what he can to follow Clark's example.

"I want to be the best after him," he said. "I had to be ready this season. Those are big shoes to fill."

The Red Devils rely on Standard for a lot. He's their single best way to move the football and the other teams know it. The fact he continue to be able to move the football when the other team knows what's coming is a tribute to Standard's ability, but also the other 10 guys on the offense doing their jobs. The Red Devils are loaded with seniors this season, including the entire offensive line.

Chaminade takes pride in its ability to wear its opponent down as the game goes along. As the Red Devils continue to pound on the other team, Standard's job is made easier.

"The other team comes out hard in the first half," he said. "In the second half, I can feel the defense getting softer. That makes us come out harder."

Taylor expects Jackson to bring a similar game plan to tonight's game. The Indians like to pound the football with their big, strong offensive line.

"They're very big and they like to run the ball," Taylor said. "I'm looking forward to this kind of game."

Tonight, Jackson gets a first-hand look at Standard. Win or lose, when the game is over, let's hope the visitors don't forget their jock straps.

• Fire 2

Currently has Nebraska in the lead, followed by Illinois, Iowa, and then Missouri. He says he has followed the Huskers growing up and people in his family are Husker fans. He is the teammate of another Husker target, Christian Suntrup. Standard plans to be at Nebraska's Junior Day later this month, and may also come to the Spring Game.

:yeah

From what I got out of the article is that he's almost a Husker fan since he's been following the team ever since his early childhood and keep a good eye on us last year. Sounds like a kid to keep and eye on and his stats get better year after year. Ran almost for 3,000 yards as a Junior.

Sounds like a good Plan B if Aaron Green happens to fall through Bo's hands...which i hope isn't the case :thumbs

With around 25 spots open we can take both of them.

Yeah both!!

maybe if roy, rex, and tray put up some good numbers this year, i hope the "both option" pans out. :)

Thing I'd be interested to see is if we get a commit from Reed, Standard, or whomever else we offer do we hold the other rb-spot for Green? Maybe Reed could be offered as an athlete in such a scenario.

Sounds like a good Plan B if Aaron Green happens to fall through Bo's hands...which i hope isn't the case :thumbs

Yeah both!!

maybe if roy, rex, and tray put up some good numbers this year, i hope the "both option" pans out. :)

Thing I'd be interested to see is if we get a commit from Reed, Standard, or whomever else we offer do we hold the other rb-spot for Green? Maybe Reed could be offered as an athlete in such a scenario.

If Aaron Green says he wants to come to NU he will be on the team.

Yeah both!!

If Aaron Green says he wants to come to NU he will be on the team.

Yes but I don't think Neb wants three rb's, especially after adding a rb like Heard this class. What I wonder is once they get that first commit do they get picky with that second spot, keep it open for Green? As has been said Reed could be offered as an athlete but we'll most-likely offer other backs along the way.