2011 Recruiting Board

EZ-E

Suntrup, there has been some question on how he fits in with the new style of offense that we seem to be headed toward.

Question by whom? Fans?

Even if we're moving towards a different offense - more power based or whatever - it doesn't mean we're going to take athletes and stick them at QB and hope they can throw. Sure, maybe we don't want statues that hang back in the shotgun and sling it all day, but that's not Suntrup. His film, albeit by my non-expert eyes, is just certifiably nuts. He's under center a lot, always moving around in the pocket and rolling out, buying time, then making BEAUTIFUL throws. He's not a guy that just knows how to lob or just zips every throw - he knows how to get the ball to his guy in all sorts of circumstances. Probably my favorite recruit in the '11 class right now.

I don't get the "we're moving to a different offense" thing sometimes. First it was "we're scrapping WCO, and going spread." Then it's "screw the pansy spread deal, we're going old school power." It seems to me like we simply have a coaching staff willing to adapt year-in, year-out, and to mold the scheme around the players? I mean, whatever offense we run, it won't be 90's Nebraska. We still have this position called "quarterback." I don't understand at all the bias against some guys just because they know how to throw the ball. Do we want bad passers? It's not like Suntrup, Gabbert, etc are slow and immobile.

I don't mean to come off inflammatory with this post, it's just I've seen the "yea, but we don't want those kind of guys at QB anymore with the offense we're heading towards" too much and I've just never understood it. It seems our requirements these days for judging QB prospects include "poor throwing ability" (but good HS stats). Frustrating!

I thought I heard rumblings that the staff may be close to getting Josh Turner, anyone able to confirm that? Looking at his offer sheet I see literally 30 offers, big time prospect. Maybe the #1 recruit in Oklahoma this year.

I have not heard that. If that be the case then we will get one hell of an athlete.

Suntrup, there has been some question on how he fits in with the new style of offense that we seem to be headed toward.

Question by whom? Fans?

Even if we're moving towards a different offense - more power based or whatever - it doesn't mean we're going to take athletes and stick them at QB and hope they can throw. Sure, maybe we don't want statues that hang back in the shotgun and sling it all day, but that's not Suntrup. His film, albeit by my non-expert eyes, is just certifiably nuts. He's under center a lot, always moving around in the pocket and rolling out, buying time, then making BEAUTIFUL throws. He's not a guy that just knows how to lob or just zips every throw - he knows how to get the ball to his guy in all sorts of circumstances. Probably my favorite recruit in the '11 class right now.

I don't get the "we're moving to a different offense" thing sometimes. First it was "we're scrapping WCO, and going spread." Then it's "screw the pansy spread deal, we're going old school power." It seems to me like we simply have a coaching staff willing to adapt year-in, year-out, and to mold the scheme around the players? I mean, whatever offense we run, it won't be 90's Nebraska. We still have this position called "quarterback." I don't understand at all the bias against some guys just because they know how to throw the ball. Do we want bad passers? It's not like Suntrup, Gabbert, etc are slow and immobile.

I don't mean to come off inflammatory with this post, it's just I've seen the "yea, but we don't want those kind of guys at QB anymore with the offense we're heading towards" too much and I've just never understood it. It seems our requirements these days for judging QB prospects include "poor throwing ability" (but good HS stats). Frustrating!

I know what you mean. No offense taken to what you are saying in the least bit. Trust me when I say that I have dissected Jamal Turner's film over and over, he is going to be a good one. Freak athlete that is only going to get better. I am convinced that he is our QB of the future.

Found this on Texas's rivals site. Preliminary list of prospects that are invited to Texas's Junior Day. I will highlight the ones that are relevant to us.

David Ash - Belton - QB

Malcolm Brown - Cibolo Steele - RB

Jaxon Shipley - Brownwood - WR

Trey Metoyer - Whitehouse - WR

Miles Onyegbule - Arlington - WR

M.J. McFarland - El Paso El Dorado - TE

Josh Cochran - Hallsville - OL

Christian Westerman - Chandler (Ariz.) Hamilton - OL

Sedrick Flowers - North Shore - OL

Taylor Doyle - Lake Travis - OL

Marquise Anderson - Cibolo Steele - DT

Cedric Reed - Cleveland - DE

Nathan Hughes - Klein Oak - DE

Chet Moss - Cedar Park - LB

Kendall Thompson - Carthage - LB

Steve Edmond - Daingerfield - LB

Anthony Wallace - Dallas Skyline - LB

Devon Hocutt - Killeen Ellison - LB

Sheroid Evans - Sugar Land Dulles - DB

Found this on Texas's rivals site. Preliminary list of prospects that are invited to Texas's Junior Day. I will highlight the ones that are relevant to us.

David Ash - Belton - QB

We've got an offer out to Cedric Reed.....this kid is a freak. I'd love for us to make a big push after him.

David Ash - Belton - QB

I'm surprised Texas didn't invite Garrett Greenlea? That kids a beast.

David Ash - Belton - QB

I dont think it is set in stone quite yet Nexus. I cant imagine that they wouldnt invite Aaron Green, Hershall Sims, and Brandon Williams. 3 of the top 4 backs in Texas. Unless they have already conceited A. Green to us? :)

Rasco will be there as well.

David Ash - Belton - QB

I dont think it is set in stone quite yet Nexus. I cant imagine that they wouldnt invite Aaron Green, Hershall Sims, and Brandon Williams. 3 of the top 4 backs in Texas. Unless they have already conceited A. Green to us? :)

Rasco will be there as well.

You may be right. Any idea when their Jr. day is?

Derek Farniok is big yes, but he needs to improve his hand and foot quickness and improve his weight room habits. Next time I am in Sioux Falls I'm going to ask around about him and try to scout a few games of his this fall. Westerman is far ahead in the weight room. He can bench 400 vs Farniok's 300, that's a huge difference.