Serious Business: Everybody needs to get onboard

Everybody has within them the ability to come up with one truly great idea. I have just had mine and I need every member of Huskerboard to get on the band wagon and help T_O_B to see the fulfillment of his "Vision." I don't usually have a cocktail early in the day except when I'm either in Florida or out of the country or if its the Monday after the Superbowl. My "Vision" is this:

The United States has three Monday Holidays that could be easily moved to the Monday after the Superbowl. Martin Luther King Day, Native American Day and President's Day. MLK Day is significant enough that it should stand alone and the same can perhaps be said for NA Day but President's Day is perfect for the move and actually the most logical choice.

The Monday after the Superbowl has for years cried out to be named a National Holiday. It would be my guess that workplace productivity drops off considerably on this day, hangovers multiply exponentially, it just makes sence to do this.

What we need to do and with our numbers and locations throughout the country I think we can make it happen. Write your Representatives and Senators, send letters to the editor of your local newspaper. Badger your local sports talk radio personalities, talk it up to your friends and enlist their help. This can be done and when it happens the Big Red "N" of Husker Nation will be carved in stone just like the Presidents on Mt. Rushmore. We will have done every football fan in the country a great service and will be thought of by The Nation as gods not mere college football fans (even though we're not.)

T_O_B

:bonez:bonez:bonez

• Fire 1

We don't need another Monday Holiday and there would be a lot of resistance to establishing another one. Presidents Day is already there and doesn't require a specific date, its perfect. And its called Superbowl Sunday, Saturday is for College, the NFL belongs on Sunday.

T_O_B

:facepalm:

Sorry T_O, but look at the mess adding politics to any situation creates. Members of this board can't even agree on a holiday, imagine introducing this idea to the 300 million slaves of this country. How about instead of petitioning your rep to "force" everyone to comply, which is what government does whenever any law is enacted, you just take the day off T_O? How hard would that be?

Sorry T_O, but look at the mess adding politics to any situation creates. Members of this board can't even agree on a holiday, imagine introducing this idea to the 300 million slaves of this country. How about instead of petitioning your rep to "force" everyone to comply, which is what government does whenever any law is enacted, you just take the day off T_O? How hard would that be?

My company provides care to quadraplegics. These unfortunate souls rely on us every day of the year and as the head of the company and Case mqnager for all we serve my life is basically one where I am on call 24/365. That's how hard it is for me to take a day off.

T_O_B

C-mon, guys this is really simple. Congress simply passes a resolution that the day after the Super Bowl is designated as 'Presidents Day.' Don't make t harder than it is, no law needs to be enacted, nobody forces anything on anyone. The country simply takes the day after the Super Bowl off. Is there a law concerning Christmas, Thanksgiving, the Forth of July, nope, usually what makes the day a holiday is the fact that Unions have negotiated the day off into their contracts.

T_O_B

:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno

• 2 weeks later...

I'm all for more Holidays...but the thing is, not many places of business celebrate President's Day. Schools, banks and the government offices do...but my company for one was open this last Monday. Heck, even on MLK Day we're open.

Not only that, but the NFL keeps moving the Super Bowl every so often. It used to be the second Sunday in Jan., then got moved to the third, then the fourth, and now the first Sunday of February. They'd have to move President's day around every time the NFL their date.

And third....I could care less about the NFL or the Super Bowl.