DT Quincy Russell

Nexus

Feel bad for the kid, Texas gave a 17 year old kid a deadline to commit or loose your offer. He was making sure he was making not only a smart coice but the right one as well. This is juts goes to show how Texas pushes their weight around.

And for the Horns fans on orangebloods talking up a storm about how this will effect Aaron's decision are far from the truth. Gary Green was pushing Quincy towards backing off and double checking that he was making the right decision. Coach Gary Green would rather had Quincy come to Nebraska. But the kid's Mom is sick, and he wanted to stay close to home. :rant

Feel bad for the kid, Texas gave a 17 year old kid a deadline to commit or loose your offer. He was making sure he was making not only a smart coice but the right one as well. This is juts goes to show how Texas pushes their weight around.

And for the Horns fans on orangebloods talking up a storm about how this will effect Aaron's decision are far from the truth. Gary Green was pushing Quincy towards backing off and double checking that he was making the right decision. Coach Gary Green would rather had Quincy come to Nebraska. But the kid's Mom is sick, and he wanted to stay close to home. :rant

I'm not a big fan of Texas's pressure recruiting either...but at least they are honest. Would they have taken Quincy had he wanted to commit closer to signing day? Maybe. I don't think they ever tell the kid they won't... they tell him he is guarenteed a spot today, but he might not be tomorrow. I don't see how that is such a bad deal for kids. It's not necessarily Texas pushing their weight around, it's Texas saying "we need to know your status so we can either consider the spot taken or continue to look". How is that different that Bo's rule on players committing and then taking visits? Bo says "we need to know your status so that we can either continue to look, or consider the spot taken." It could be interpretted as the same thing. It would be different if they had 5 committs right now, but their classes always nearly fill up the day after their junior days...kids need to be told that the spots are in short supply, and if they don't hurry they won't have one. Seems honest enough to me, and better than the alternative of dangling the carrot until signing day then going with someone else.

• 5 months later...

• 6 months later...