Headline asks, "What If Israel Bombs Iran."

First off I think the whole area is infested with homicidal idiots. I feel for the 60% of the population that just whats to get through the day alive. As for the rest of them the world would be better off without them. I have no reason to think good things about Iran. If they have a segment of their population that does not share the same idiology as their leaders then they need to rise up and make a change. If not then if Israel does decide to bomb them I hope they do a good job of it. Bomb them back into the stone age and give them a chance to come back into the world as decent neighbors of their geographic region and contributing members of the global community.

T_O_B

There actually is a small part of their population that favors democracy and equality.

Then as I said and I don't take sides here there are idiots on both sides and the sane ones that just want to make a life need to get together and make it happen. All this killing needs to stop and the only way for it to happen is for those who don't throw rocks to stop those who do.

T_O_B

There actually is a small part of their population that favors democracy and equality.

If you're talking about Iran, it's not a small part of their population. They're a very modern country amongst their youth. The problem is their huge gap in ages. They had that horrific war vs. Iraq in the 80s that cost hundreds of thousands of lives due to ridiculous World War I tactics combined with use of gas and poor generalship. Iran lost a couple of generations of youth in that conflict, and now has an extremely young population (1/3 under the age of 30) with a much older ruling body. There is a serious disconnect between the youth and the older rulers.

Combine that with the fact that many of the best and brightest Iranians are now expats or completely dispossessed living abroad for fear of political persecution (supporters of the Shah) or simply looking for freedom/education that they aren't allowed in Iran, and you'll see why those living in Iran most likely deserve our pity than our scorn.

That doesn't mean Iran isn't a very dangerous tiger, or that the youth, if forced, won't fight a war against us if their rulers make it happen. What really concerns me is their nuke program, and Israel's determination to see it stop. It's going to be a seriously bad thing if the Israelis take matters into their own hands. And Iran doesn't need nukes - the situation there is stable enough without them. Giving Iran nukes ramps up the likelihood they'll be used 100-fold. Bad news.

What really bothers me is that we have a region of the world that is only important because of what can be gotten from hundreds of feet below the surface of their landscape. They hate each other because of what happened in this area hundreds if not thousands of years ago and because they pray to a different named god, without thinking that this might actually be the same being that everyone else does and that he thinks we are a planet of retards because after 2/3 thousand years we still havent gotten it right.

I'm sick of both sides. They haven't figured out that there are thousands of miles of beach front territory that are begging for resorts. They haven't figured out that if they can find a way to bring water to areas in the desert that could be turned into middle eastern Las Vegas'es, that oil would quickly be replaced by tourism as the number one source of revenue. There would be so many jobs created that they would soon forget about throwing rocks, planting road side bombs, or strapping a self detionated bomb around your middle and start thinking about how they could buy a time share at a resort on the beach and take their family there every year for vacation.

T_O_B

• Fire 1

First off I think the whole area is infested with homicidal idiots. I feel for the 60% of the population that just whats to get through the day alive. As for the rest of them the world would be better off without them. I have no reason to think good things about Iran. If they have a segment of their population that does not share the same idiology as their leaders then they need to rise up and make a change. If not then if Israel does decide to bomb them I hope they do a good job of it. Bomb them back into the stone age and give them a chance to come back into the world as decent neighbors of their geographic region and contributing members of the global community.

T_O_B

None the less I think that if Israel did bomb Iran, those moderates would get a quick dose of nationalistic fever. Much like we all did after 9/11. And even if the younger generation doesn't share in the extreme idealogy of it's government, I think that there's still plenty of resentment if not hatred about Israel. I believe they'd fight or at least support what the Iranian government would do in retaliation.

All I'll say is that if does happen, get ready to pay $7 a gallon for gas.

• Fire 1

There is no clear answer. If Israel does attack, oil prices skyrocket and, as you said, there will be a unity with the Iranian government. And if Israel does attack, it's far from clear they could destroy all or any of the plants since they are underground and spread all over the country. At the same time, we can't allow them to get the nukes. It's not just Iran that's the concern. It's also who they would sell them to, such as Hezbollah. And I just don't see the Obama administration doing anything about it. What can be done?

The other issue is that Iran is persistently digging its own grave with its nuclear ambitions. There is simply no way the world community could allow a psychopath like Ahmadinejad to possess such a destructive technology. What we should all hope is the youth movement uprising manages to stop the situation dead in its tracks before the clock runs out. Obama's non-stance on the issue a year ago during the protests was most definitely not helpful, but as pressure builds and theocratic tyranny persists, the prospect of war amounts to a matter of time.

T_O_B

None the less I think that if Israel did bomb Iran, those moderates would get a quick dose of nationalistic fever. Much like we all did after 9/11. And even if the younger generation doesn't share in the extreme idealogy of it's government, I think that there's still plenty of resentment if not hatred about Israel. I believe they'd fight or at least support what the Iranian government would do in retaliation.

I agree. The U. S. needs to be the peace maker here. Bombing Iran makes no real sense, but then letting Iran have nuclear weapons would be a world wide mistake. You have to remember the guy who leads this country disputes the facts of the Holocost. This man is an all time idiot and I don't believe the future of the entire planet should be put in his hands. The youthful leaders in Iran needto step forward and say we don't want to be lead by religious zelots. No more Mulas will be allowed in the government. I just hope that we have operatives infiltrating this country and finding those that oppose their present leaders and doing what ever needs to happen in order to keep a world wide holocost from happening.

T_O_B

T_O_B

I agree. The U. S. needs to be the peace maker here. Bombing Iran makes no real sense, but then letting Iran have nuclear weapons would be a world wide mistake. You have to remember the guy who leads this country disputes the facts of the Holocost. This man is an all time idiot and I don't believe the future of the entire planet should be put in his hands. The youthful leaders in Iran needto step forward and say we don't want to be lead by religious zelots. No more Mulas will be allowed in the government. I just hope that we have operatives infiltrating this country and finding those that oppose their present leaders and doing what ever needs to happen in order to keep a world wide holocost from happening.

T_O_B

If Iran is allowed to have nukes, it will precipitate an arms race throughout the Middle East the likes of which no one wants.

I believe the Obama administration missed a prime opportunity to give vocal support to the election protests last Summer. Instead they were inexplicably quiet throughout most of the bloodshed until his own party leaders were saying WTF.

In my opinion, Obama could have used his platitudes to inspire them much like Reagan did at the Berlin Wall to the East Germans telling them to help tear down that wall.