RockyMountainOySker

What are you reading right now?

one_second_after.jpg

Just started reading this yesterday and I am already hooked. It's about a terrorist group that sets off an EMP over the States and sends us back to the stone age. Apparently, this book was recently studied by Congress.

0375701907.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif

Read this a little while ago but it's great and wanted to include it. This book is hilarious. Sactrical novel - - think Curb Your Enthusiasm.

CornHOLIO    181

that was waaaay to easy CornHolio...i almost feel like neg reppin you. :lol:

oops!

Forget I said anything.

Except , Why does this thread still show no views? (and two replies)

mmmtodd    137

I have a newborn, so 'in-depth' reading isnt a luxury im afforded at the moment. the toilet bowl variety is about all I can manage.

So I have this-

final_exits.large.jpg

its a great look into the ways people kick the bucket, with great stories of the history behind them... is quite enlightening, and actually provides some wise advice in places.

T_O_Bull    394

Cross by James Pattinson. Short quick chapters and good plot lines.

How Football Defines America by Sal Palintonio. If you like football...

T_O_B

:)

CornHOLIO    181

Some threads on Huskerboard.

One titled, "What are you reading right now?" at the moment.

.....And this is the reason I actually debated starting this thread. I tend to forget the children. So much for getting book ideas.

Can I help it if I prefer lite reading?

"How about a pamphlet?" -Airplane (The Movie)

I never really learned how to read.

carlfense    2,267

Some threads on Huskerboard.

One titled, "What are you reading right now?" at the moment.

.....And this is the reason I actually debated starting this thread. I tend to forget the children. So much for getting book ideas.

I just recently finished The Stand, by Steven King. I've read it several times. Highly recommended . . . if you can fight through the 100 pages of boredom at the beginning.

knapplc    18,486

Churning my way through Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series right now.

First Man in Rome

Adequately kicks off the series with a detailed peek into the lives of Gaius Marius and Lucius Cornelius Sulla. Marius is the "Italian hayseed with no Greek" who, through political cunning and military genius rises up the cursus honorum to the very pinnacle of pre-Caesar Rome.

The Grass Crown

Marius' historic rise to power is at its peak, and Sulla's is well on its way. Will these two giants remain steadfast, or will differing personal and political desires tear them apart? Well worth the read to find out.

Fortune's Favorites

The advent of an adult Gaius Julius Caesar into the series puts it well into form. McCullough's Caesar is brilliant, beautiful and arrogantly sure of himself. While just a young man, it is clear to his contemporaries that his star shines the brightest. Caesar is a gripping character, and the main reason I eagerly burn through 2,000+ pages before he bursts onto the scene.

Caesar's Women

This is the first of the Caesar-centric books in the series. There's plenty of action from the likes of Pompey, Clodius, Lucullus and Crassus, among others, but Caesar is the star who shines brightest of all. I'm about halfway through this book and enjoying every word.

The rest of the series is queued up on my night table:

Caesar

The October Horse

Antony and Cleopatra

All told over 5,000 pages of brilliance. I should be done with this series by July.

The end of July. ;-D

HuskerNCo    9

Well since I'm unemployed and there are absolutely no jobs in Colorado at the moment, I read my trashy, mindless erotic books. Quite the learning experience for little 'ol conservative me. corndancer.gifoverhere.gifeek3dance.gif

UGAHusker    93

one_second_after.jpg

Just started reading this yesterday and I am already hooked. It's about a terrorist group that sets off an EMP over the States and sends us back to the stone age. Apparently, this book was recently studied by Congress.

0375701907.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif

Read this a little while ago but it's great and wanted to include it. This book is hilarious. Sactrical novel - - think Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I saw your post last week and started researching EMPs and then my girlfriend bought me the book on Saturday. I finished it yesterday morning before work. Needless to say, I'll be buying a few extra gallons of water, vitamins, and a few canned good every time I go to the grocery store for about the next two years. REALLY startling, possible, stuff.

kansas husker    109

I'm not a big novel reader I prefer non fiction. About 2 months ago I finished liberty and tyranny: a conservative manafesto by mark levin excelent read (if you are conservative)

one_second_after.jpg

I saw your post last week and started researching EMPs and then my girlfriend bought me the book on Saturday. I finished it yesterday morning before work. Needless to say, I'll be buying a few extra gallons of water, vitamins, and a few canned good every time I go to the grocery store for about the next two years. REALLY startling, possible, stuff.

Pretty dang interesting (and a good book), huh? Glad you got a chance to read it! It does really hit home and truly seems more plausible than many other doomsday scenarios.

It scares me when he talks about the messes in the big cities....I can't even imagine what would happen in Chicago if something like this went down.

Human Action by Ludwig Von Mises

Mises' magnum opus on praxeology and how it applies to economics. Reading with a dictionary. Slow going at this point and it's over 800 pages, so I will be at for a while.

Mysterious Island by Jules Verne

I have to read a novel every once in a while to stay sane, and I really enjoyed "20,000 leagues under the sea", so I figured I'd give this one a go. I like it so far.

kansas husker    109

I know a little bit about emp but I will read one second after to learn more.

Call of Duty knowledge doesn't count :laughpound:sarcasm

Lol non, heard a guy on the radio a couple years ago. It was in one of the many Norht Korea scares I guess a lot of the former soviet scientest who studied emp are now in North Korea really scarry stuff.

GSG    5,678

I've been reading Naked Lunch off and on for quite a while now. Really hard book to get into at times. And really graphic, definitely not for children.

Reading Bret Hart's book. I got it on my Birthday, and I can't put it down. It's amazing to look at his life from an early age and his start in Stu Hart's Stampede Wrestling which was also the beginning for Dynamite Kid,Davey Boy Smith, and Jim Neidhart. Where I am at this point, he's just started for the WWF, and is just starting out as pretty much a "jobber". The book is almost as thick as a phone book, but I like it when an Athlete's auto biography is very extensive because you get more details about their lives in and out of the spotlight.

Landlord    7,551

I've been reading "10 things your pastor wants to tell you, but can't because he needs his job."

It's one pastor's interpretations/beliefs about the accuracy of the Bible, what is really right and wrong, what Jesus really taught and etc. Some of it seems a bit absurd, but some of it is valid enough and at any rate, it's a good book to get you thinking and not so set in your ways.

carlfense    2,267

All of capitalism talk means I'm going to go pick up Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I read it a long time ago but it makes sense to read it right now.

atlas-shrugged-book-cover.jpg?w=500&h=857

I liked The Fountainhead better. Basically the same story without the 90 page John Galt speech/preaching. Both books pound you over the head with the same idea . . . but I thought the Fountainhead was a better story.

walksalone    2,500

"The Strain" by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan

If you like books about vampires, and not wussy little "Twilight" vampires, then give this a look...

NUance    6,941

"Sacred Hoops" by Phil Jackson. Real old book, but it's a good read. I sometimes like books by coaches and athletes.

Wanted to read this when it came out, finally got a copy as a gift.

Maybe they are trying to tell me to ' take a hike...'

emblidge.jpg

or that's what you tell your staff where you are while you visit your mistress in Argentina. :sarcasm

HuskerNLimbo    12

Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Its about the world just had an apocalypse and a small group of people survived, and so they must restart civilization. Its a pretty quick read as well. Very entertaining.

NUance    6,941

"General A.P. Hill. The Story of a Confederate Warrior" James Robertson, Jr.

Manhattan    41

Just finished reading this one by Ludwig von Mises. It is a short and interesting read that provides some very interesting insight on why so many different types of people reject capitalism and embrace communist ideals.

Anti-capitalistic%20Mentality.jpg

carlfense    2,267

Any recommendations?

I just finished Shelby Foote's Civil War trilogy. Very well written but I found myself disagreeing with a lot of his conclusions. Excellent read about the scope of the war.

Also, dabbling with R.R. Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice series. Fantasy isn't exactly my favorite but I'm really enjoying it. The Game of Thrones series on HBO got me started.

GSG    5,678

I've been reading all of the original Sherlock Holmes stories.

I also read some "graphic novels" (comics).

I'm finally finishing up "Bowl, Polls & Tattered Souls."

On deck: Probably "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." The trailer for the movie looked really good. Then I might move on to "Scorecasting." It's kinda like "Freakanomics" for sports from the sounds of it.