What are you reading right now?

I just finished Skagboys by Irvine Welsh. I have read a lot of his stuff but never Trainspotting (though I loved the film). I think I had read one of his books before seeing it, too, but now I'm not sure I want to read it because of having seen it and already getting this prequel of sorts read. Marabou Stork Nightmares and Crime were probably my favorites aside from the latest. The Scottish/British slang takes some patience but I think it adds something. On a recommendation from some fantasy authors, I'm going to start Diana Gabaldon's Outlander today. I placed a hold on it several months ago and am sure there's still a line so I probably won't even get to finish it before it's due and they don't allow you to renew in that circumstance.

About halfway through the forth (last) book in the Hyperion Cantos. Really have enjoying the series and sad to be near the end. Science fiction meets mystery and religion (kinda).

The first book was published in the late '80s and the author (Dan Simmons) essentially predicts the "internet or world wide web." It's much different in the books but it's about interconnected people/worlds/information/ultimate intelligence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_Cantos

Orson Scott Card sort of did that in Ender's Game, too, but I've never tried to look up whether any one person deserves the credit. I read something recently that gave William Gibson credit for coining the term, cyberspace.

open_bible.jpg

I've been working my way through the good book for the past couple months. I'm a few pages away from Psalms right now.

Well, how is it?!!

For violence, the Old Testament makes Medal of Honor video game look like a Disney movie. Much like the Middle East today, in fact. :lol:

Ha! The violence is abundant in the good book, for sure....

Yeah. I guess the violence stands out because I didn't remember how much killing the Jews did back in the Old Testament days. Life was pretty brutal back then.

I guess it goes without saying that there's a lot more in the bible than violence. I'm looking forward to reading the prophets following psalms/proverbs and then getting into the new testament.

Slaughtering villages in the name of the Lord. Seems a little hypocritical of them, but as you said, there is much more to the bible than that (Revelation is terrifying!)

Pardon more necros but I think it's important to consider that much of the world isn't so advanced as we such that it's fair to judge them for being removed, to a lesser extent, from Biblical times. Couple that with how central violence is to our interactions within our spheres of influence and humanity's plight in the world makes more sense.

open_bible.jpg

I've been working my way through the good book for the past couple months. I'm a few pages away from Psalms right now.

Well, how is it?!!

For violence, the Old Testament makes Medal of Honor video game look like a Disney movie. Much like the Middle East today, in fact. :lol:

Ha! The violence is abundant in the good book, for sure....

Yeah. I guess the violence stands out because I didn't remember how much killing the Jews did back in the Old Testament days. Life was pretty brutal back then.

I guess it goes without saying that there's a lot more in the bible than violence. I'm looking forward to reading the prophets following psalms/proverbs and then getting into the new testament.

Slaughtering villages in the name of the Lord. Seems a little hypocritical of them, but as you said, there is much more to the bible than that (Revelation is terrifying!)

Pardon more necros but I think it's important to consider that much of the world isn't so advanced as we such that it's fair to judge them for being removed, to a lesser extent, from Biblical times. Couple that with how central violence is to our interactions within our spheres of influence and humanity's plight in the world makes more sense.

So.... What book ya readin'?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

7582366.JPG

"Praying for Slack: A Marine Corps Tank Commander in Viet Nam" by Robert E. Peavey.

===============================================================

Anyone here ever heard of, or read, this book? A friend of mine recommended it to me today. He was in some of the battles detailed in this book. Says the descriptions are pretty realistic.

A very good story about the 1st great election crisis (Forget Florida hanging chads - that was child's play in comparison)

A Magnificent Catastrophe: The Tumultuous Election of 1800, America's First Presidential Campaign Paperback – June 10, 2008
by Edward J. Larson (Author)
51CgBzp-nsL._AA160_.jpg
Also reading this book. Keller does a good job discussing views (various religions, cultures, belief systems - including atheism) on the topic and presents strengths and weaknesses of the views. The 2nd half of the book - he makes it practical with the purpose of helping us as we individually walk through our own version of pain and/or suffering. How do deal with issue and go forward wt hope. Good book to go with the topic of ' God and Evil/Suffering' going on in the politics/religion forum. I just found this book a week ago and am about half way through it.
Walking with God through Pain and Suffering Hardcover – October 1, 2013
by Timothy Keller (Author)

41jB7yFVApL._AA160_.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

open_bible.jpg

Finished the bible this morning. I really took my time, this time through, trying to understand what I read and put it in context. If I got to the end of a page, or chapter, and couldn't recall what it was about, I'd read it over. My bible is 1142 pages long, but I'll bet I read 1500 or more pages. I guess that's why it took me about 8 months. That said, I feel like I'm just scratching the surface of understanding and knowing The Good Book. :lol: