What are you reading right now?

51EWVUMY3WL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Just finished "Praying for Slack" by Robert Peavey. I can understand why a lot of guys come back from combat with mental demons.

I know a guy who's unit was mentioned in this book. He says the accounts are fairly accurate.

• 2 weeks later...

• 8 months later...

hqdefault.jpg

Just finished "The Popular Encyclopedia of Apologetics" by Hindson and Caner. Not sure I agree with every argument they made. But it was a great overview of several hundred Christian topics.

Next up: "Undress me in the Temple of Heaven" by Susan Gilman. It's about a recently graduated, but quite naive, Ivy League coed who travels into recently opened China in 1986.

Undress-Me.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

cover_277.jpg

Just finished reading this.

I picked it up because I was looking for a really good fantasy title, and this one had very favorable reviews on Good Reads. It was tabbed as this generation's "Lord of the Rings."

Admittedly, however, I didn't enjoy it that much. I personally wouldn't recommend.

cover_277.jpg

I picked it up because I was looking for a really good fantasy title, and this one had very favorable reviews on Good Reads. It was tabbed as this generation's "Lord of the Rings."

Admittedly, however, I didn't enjoy it that much. I personally wouldn't recommend.

I thought it was decent but wasn't interested enough to get the sequel.

Have you read the Wheel of Time series?

cover_277.jpg

I think my problem with The Name of the Wind was that there wasn't much of a lure pulling me through the book. In many ways it felt like a slow biography, and I never really felt the urge to keep turning the pages. I described it to a buddy of mine as if someone was writing my life's story but included days I went to get an oil change or binge-watched Netflix. They certainly describe my person, but they don't make for great reading.

And I have not heard of the Wheel of Time series. I'm always looking for a good fantasy series though, particularly something that's really immersive. Would you recommend it?

cover_277.jpg

I think my problem with The Name of the Wind was that there wasn't much of a lure pulling me through the book. In many ways it felt like a slow biography, and I never really felt the urge to keep turning the pages. I described it to a buddy of mine as if someone was writing my life's story but included days I went to get an oil change or binge-watched Netflix. They certainly describe my person, but they don't make for great reading.

And I have not heard of the Wheel of Time series. I'm always looking for a good fantasy series though, particularly something that's really immersive. Would you recommend it?

Yes. ("Moiraine" is a character in WoT). It's a 14 book series. The first 4 books are better than anything else I've ever read. I liked the whole series but some people did not like books 7-10. It picks up again after that. It took me about 100 pages into the first book to get hooked and then I read the rest that were out at the time in about 2 weeks.

http://www.amazon.com/Eye-World-Wheel-Time-Book/dp/0812511816/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462293687&sr=8-1&keywords=eye+of+the+world

I think the only reason the first book has 4 stars instead of 5 out of 5 is because of what I mentioned with the later books. There are a lot of "this book is great, but..." reviews. Books 2-4 are all 4.5/5. (Book 4 is my favorite).

I guess this is going to be required reading for work:

51QrEUUQYjL._AC_UL320_SR202,320_.jpg

Anyone read it?

Yep. Took maybe an hour to read, cover to cover. It's quick and painless and reasonably interesting. It's been a while so I don't remember whatever life lessons they were trying to teach me, but it was a decent book.

I guess this is going to be required reading for work:

51QrEUUQYjL._AC_UL320_SR202,320_.jpg

Anyone read it?

Yep. Took maybe an hour to read, cover to cover. It's quick and painless and reasonably interesting. It's been a while so I don't remember whatever life lessons they were trying to teach me, but it was a decent book.

I've read a lot of terrible reviews on it. Mostly that it's corporate brainwash material saying "Don't question changes, just adapt or you're fired"

mansearchformeaning-John-Ruh.jpg

Not currently reading - read it last year. But, wanted to pass it along. I thought it was an incredible book (it's written by a Holocaust survivor and is about how his experience helped him develop his theory on the meaning of one's life).

I read it in a few days - it's a fairly quick read.