What are you reading right now?

41Qrv6MZPfL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Started reading this after a tweet knapplc posted in the P&R forums.

As a white male, born in the late 80s, in a middle class neighborhood, racism and segregation seemed like a problem of yesteryear that wasn't an issue anymore. Naturally, as I got older, I learned a lot more about how this isn't the case, and this book is a real eye opener. It helps put into perspective how hard it has been, even in the 21st century, to undo centuries of racism.

Wanted to update that I finished this.

Overall, a very enjoyable book and one I recommend to everyone. I didn't agree with a few of the conclusions she arrived at, and my biggest critique of the book is that she presented a lot of opinion and some "evidence" about the Reagan administration, the 1980s drug war, the CIA and the Contras as fact without providing near as much documentation as other parts of the book. It also felt like a far too detailed tangent in comparison to the overall theme of the book.

• 3 weeks later...

d8dbaceb20224738f7dae88308d4ea0e.jpg

I started reading this series last month. I'm almost finished with the 2nd book. I guess they are technically "teen fiction" but I'm not so sure about that. Basically the story is told through journals from a 12 year old boy in 1888. His parents died in a house fire and he was taken in by his father's employer, a doctor of monstrumology (yes, study of monsters). They are fast reads so far. Lots of really gory details throughout, but I am enjoying them. This guy also wrote the '5th Wave' series.

Finally finished the last book. It was quite the dark turn away from the other 3. I enjoyed them though and I would recommend them.

I'm hoping to have an ambitious summer of reading:

The Magicians series:

220px-TheMagicians.jpg

Kinda like an adult Harry Potter. I've been watching their show on Syfy (the first season is on Netflix) and we've been hooked.

The story revolves around a set of children's books similar to The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe but it turns out that Fillory (Narnia) is real but it's not all sunshine and daisies.

Three books in the series: The Magicians, The Magician King, and The Magician's Land

I also just purchased the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I always wanted to read it but I never did.

In addition, I added a few books from female authors since I don't seem to ever read anything written by a woman:

Idaho by Emily Ruskovish

Dead Letters by Caite Dolan-Leach

Sympathy by Olivia Sudjic

• 1 month later...

An American Life - Ronald Reagan's autobiography. Very enjoyable read with all of the stories told with the Reagan humor. I think liberals would like it also!

He talks a lot about his upbringing, his family, how he got into politics, and his the importance of his faith.

Starts with his birth and goes through his transition from being a Dem to a Repub (although he would not identify with the current class of Republicans - regardless how they

try to claim his mantle) and covers his fight against communism (starting during his acting days) and also his desire to reduce the # of nukes.

9781451628395_p0_v3_s192x300.jpg

• Plus1 1
  • 5 months later...

Also, I picked this up after years of having people recommend it to me. It dives into the World Fair in Chicago, the construction/headaches surrounding it and how H.H. Holmes used it as his hunting ground to commit many of his murders. The book is touted as non-fiction and based on the compilation of diaries, notes, speeches, etc. that were collected from H.H. Holmes, his victim's families, the architects who designed the fair, etc.

51IqhTjyl-L._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I just got done reading a short story...it was about a mechanic that was JUST about to close up shop for the night when...all of a sudden two blazing hot girls pulled in because their car was making some "noises" well of course this mechanic was going to help out.  Well as he was working on the car the girls were getting a little flirty...I think you can see where this is going...

I can't remember where I read it...something Forum...

• 6 months later...