503 replies to this topic

#501 Enhance89

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,997 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:47 AM

41Qrv6MZPfL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Started reading this after a tweet knapplc posted in the P&R forums.

As a white male, born in the late 80s, in a middle class neighborhood, racism and segregation seemed like a problem of yesteryear that wasn't an issue anymore.  Naturally, as I got older, I learned a lot more about how this isn't the case, and this book is a real eye opener.  It helps put into perspective how hard it has been, even in the 21st century, to undo centuries of racism.

Wanted to update that I finished this.

Overall, a very enjoyable book and one I recommend to everyone.  I didn't agree with a few of the conclusions she arrived at, and my biggest critique of the book is that she presented a lot of opinion and some "evidence" about the Reagan administration, the 1980s drug war, the CIA and the Contras as fact without providing near as much documentation as other parts of the book.  It also felt like a far too detailed tangent in comparison to the overall theme of the book.

fro daddy, Enhance89 & knapplc are The Trifecta of Awesomeness

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

#502 GSG5545

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,830 posts

HB Donor Scarlet

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:03 AM

d8dbaceb20224738f7dae88308d4ea0e.jpg

I started reading this series last month. I'm almost finished with the 2nd book. I guess they are technically "teen fiction" but I'm not so sure about that. Basically the story is told through journals from a 12 year old boy in 1888. His parents died in a house fire and he was taken in by his father's employer, a doctor of monstrumology (yes, study of monsters). They are fast reads so far. Lots of really gory details throughout, but I am enjoying them. This guy also wrote the '5th Wave' series.

Finally finished the last book. It was quite the dark turn away from the other 3. I enjoyed them though and I would recommend them.

2wroncj.jpg#RunTheDamnBall  2wrfc5h.jpg

EAT THE RICH

#503 GSG5545

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,830 posts

HB Donor Scarlet

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:18 AM

I'm hoping to have an ambitious summer of reading:

The Magicians series:

220px-TheMagicians.jpg

Kinda like an adult Harry Potter. I've been watching their show on Syfy (the first season is on Netflix) and we've been hooked.

The story revolves around a set of children's books similar to The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe but it turns out that Fillory (Narnia) is real but it's not all sunshine and daisies.

Three books in the series: The Magicians, The Magician King, and The Magician's Land

I also just purchased the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I always wanted to read it but I never did.

In addition, I added a few books from female authors since I don't seem to ever read anything written by a woman:

Idaho  by Emily Ruskovish

Dead Letters by Caite  Dolan-Leach

Sympathy by Olivia Sudjic

2wroncj.jpg#RunTheDamnBall  2wrfc5h.jpg

EAT THE RICH

#504 TGHusker

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:56 PM

An American Life - Ronald Reagan's autobiography.    Very enjoyable read with all of the stories told with the Reagan humor.   I think liberals would like it also! 

He talks a lot about his upbringing, his family, how he got into politics, and his  the importance of his faith. 

Starts with his birth and goes through his transition from being a Dem to a Repub (although he would not identify with the current class of Republicans - regardless how they

try to claim his mantle) and covers his fight against communism (starting during his acting days) and also his desire to reduce the # of nukes.   

9781451628395_p0_v3_s192x300.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users