What are you reading right now?

• You cannot reply to this topic
493 replies to this topic

#51 Blackshirtsguru

The Bobfather

• Mods
  • 5,286 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:10 AM

I just picked up "ESPN those guys have all the fun".....All I can say is WOW.....
"The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have." Vince Lombardi

#52 GSG5545

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,477 posts

HB Donor Scarlet

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:17 AM

I just picked up "ESPN those guys have all the fun".....All I can say is WOW.....

"Wow" as in "interesting" or "wow" as in "those guys are all d-bags"?

2wroncj.jpg#RunTheDamnBall  2wrfc5h.jpg

EAT THE RICH

#53 Rike Miley

Wizard of Osborne

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:54 PM

Harry Potter book 6 and 7 before the next movie comes out.

#54 Chucktown Husker

Travel Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 239 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:16 PM

I've been engulfed in a prep book for my board exam tomorrow and before that I brushed up on the South Carolina Pharmacy Practice Act for the law exam. I wouldn't really recommend those.
You had me at bacon.

#55 knapplc

Legend

• Members2
  • 38,311 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:18 PM

I've been reading all of the original Sherlock Holmes stories.

I just finished these early this year. VERY good reads. I didn't think I'd like them much, but I got hooked. Do you have the Classics two-volume series from Barnes & Noble? That's where I got mine. You can't beat the price. I will definitely be reading this again, soon.

@Carlfense - if you like history, specifically ancient history, I recommend Colleen McCullough's Rome series, starting with The First Man in Rome. It is an absolutely brilliant series. Her Julius Caesar is an incomparable character.

I also highly recommend anything by Pressfield (who focuses on the ancient Greeks). Start with Gates of Fire and work your way through the Alexander series. Crazy-good stuff.

I have insomnia, so I read a lot while I wait for the pills to kick in. Right now I'm re-reading some schlock I picked up as a kid, the Mordant's Need series by Donaldson. It's cheesy, and the first book is incredibly dull (and the characters are vapid), but it picks up in the second book, IIRC.

I've read over 300 novels since I started this campaign in January, 2007. It's been a lot of fun.

clEdF.png

The failure to condemn is necessarily the act to condone.

#56 huskersrule95

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:16 PM

Some books I read recently that I really liked were the Hunger Games Trilogy. It is probably one of my favorite set of books that I have read in quite a while. Here is a short little thing on what it is about:

The Hunger Games is a young-adult science fiction novel written by Suzanne Collins. It was originally published on September 14, 2008, by Scholastic.[1] It is the first book of the Hunger Games trilogy.[2] It introduces sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives in a post-apocalyptic world in the country of Panem where North America once stood. This is where a powerful government working in a central city called the Capitol holds power. In the book, the Hunger Games are an annual televised event where the Capitol chooses one boy and one girl from each district to fight to the death. The Hunger Games exist to demonstrate not even children are beyond the reach of the Capitol's power

#57 carlfense

Legend

• Members
  • 12,709 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:56 AM

I've been engulfed in a prep book for my board exam tomorrow and before that I brushed up on the South Carolina Pharmacy Practice Act for the law exam. I wouldn't really recommend those.

I feel your pain. My 26 pounds of BarBri books are daunting. Good luck on your boards.
"Nebraska has no beaches, mountains or stay-forever good weather. But the loyalty of ticket-buying, check-writing Husker fans is a natural resource that has sustained high-quality athletics in Lincoln for the past 50 years.

That fan devotion is a priceless commodity." -Lee Barfknecht

#58 GSG5545

Legend

• Members
  • 17,477 posts

HB Donor Scarlet

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:02 AM

I just finished these early this year. VERY good reads. I didn't think I'd like them much, but I got hooked. Do you have the Classics two-volume series from Barnes & Noble? That's where I got mine. You can't beat the price. I will definitely be reading this again, soon.

Amazon had a free version for Kindle that has all 56 short stories and the 4 novels. I took a break from them for a bit, but I think I have 2 novels left and three groups of the short stories left.

I agree they are very good. I was pretty blown away by the stories considering when they were written. It was like CSI way, way before it's time.

EAT THE RICH

#59 Nebula

Heisman Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:16 AM

I just finished rereading The Plague by Camus and Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut. Now I'm reading Team of Rivals, the book on Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin. It's been out for awhile but I didn't want to buy it and it took me forever to convince my dad to let me borrow it, because, as he says, "I lose everything. Just like that copy of the Fiesta Bowl."

Well, I am NOT responsible for losing that DVD. It was my sister. But I seriously can't find Team of Rivals, for like two days now. Great.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#60 ADS

Legend

• Members
  • 13,762 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:36 AM

Posted Image
O2Z2aGv.png

#61 GSG5545

Legend

• Members
  • 17,477 posts

HB Donor Scarlet

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:02 AM

Posted Image

Have you read it?

I love that movie, but I always forget about the book.

EAT THE RICH

#62 carlfense

Legend

• Members
  • 12,709 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:32 PM

@Carlfense - if you like history, specifically ancient history, I recommend Colleen McCullough's Rome series, starting with The First Man in Rome. It is an absolutely brilliant series. Her Julius Caesar is an incomparable character.

I also highly recommend anything by Pressfield (who focuses on the ancient Greeks). Start with Gates of Fire and work your way through the Alexander series. Crazy-good stuff.

I have insomnia, so I read a lot while I wait for the pills to kick in. Right now I'm re-reading some schlock I picked up as a kid, the Mordant's Need series by Donaldson. It's cheesy, and the first book is incredibly dull (and the characters are vapid), but it picks up in the second book, IIRC.

I've read over 300 novels since I started this campaign in January, 2007. It's been a lot of fun.

Thanks! I will check them out.
"Nebraska has no beaches, mountains or stay-forever good weather. But the loyalty of ticket-buying, check-writing Husker fans is a natural resource that has sustained high-quality athletics in Lincoln for the past 50 years.

That fan devotion is a priceless commodity." -Lee Barfknecht

#63 ADS

Legend

• Members
  • 13,762 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:36 PM

Posted Image

Have you read it?

Just got done reading it. It is easily one of the funniest books I have ever read, so worth it.
O2Z2aGv.png

#64 PaulCrewe

Wizard of Osborne

• Members2
  • 8,146 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:09 PM

Where's Waldo it was a rollercoaster ride for my emotions every page.
DON'T BE A RICHARD, VOTE FOR LO COUNTRY!!!!!

#65 PaulCrewe

Wizard of Osborne

• Members2
  • 8,146 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:12 PM

Posted Image

Have you read it?

Just got done reading it. It is easily one of the funniest books I have ever read, so worth it.

The book is 1,000,000x better than the movie.

aspeedin, you gotta read the second one now. a$$hole$ Finish First. It gets even better

#66 ADS

Legend

• Members
  • 13,762 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:28 PM

Posted Image

Have you read it?

aspeedin, you gotta read the second one now. a$$hole$ Finish First. It gets even better

I just bought it on Amazon, I can't wait to get it. That guys life is insane, some of the crap he has done is just incredible.
O2Z2aGv.png

#67 PaulCrewe

Wizard of Osborne

• Members2
  • 8,146 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:49 PM

Posted Image

Have you read it?

I just bought it on Amazon, I can't wait to get it. That guys life is insane, some of the crap he has done is just incredible.

Not gonna give anything away but his story about Tuckerfest in NJ and when he goes to Austin are the two best stories in the second book. His third book was supposed to comeout this year.
And to think this guy has a Law degree from Duke.

#68 Rike Miley

Wizard of Osborne

• Members2
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:30 AM

Posted Image

Have you read it?

Not gonna give anything away but his story about Tuckerfest in NJ and when he goes to Austin are the two best stories in the second book. His third book was supposed to comeout this year.

What is this book about? Biography of some guy?

#69 ADS

Legend

• Members
  • 13,762 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:48 AM

Posted Image

Have you read it?

My favorite story of Tuckers is when he was an intern at some Law Firm in Northern California. That whole chapter is a riot. Anything with Sligblade is hilarious too.
O2Z2aGv.png

#70 Husker_x

The Bobfather

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:59 AM

@carlfense

Martin's books are pretty stellar. I haven't read much fantasy, either. These really suck you in. I like that the story is more military/political than magical. Just started the fourth one now that I learned there is a release date for the fifth. I liked the HBO series, too, but I thought it took a little bit to hit its stride. The novel felt like a more complete experience, but that's the way it goes a lot of the time with adaptations.

@knapplc

X1000 yes on Pressfield and especially Gates of Fire. I'm still in mourning that they decided to make the graphic novel 300 into a film before GOF. There's just no comparison. People thought they were watching a badass Sparta movie but they weren't. They were munching cold leftovers.

Colleen McCullough just about killed me, though. No Roman army business at all in the first million page novel. I didn't care for the prose much, either. I hear the series gets better after the first one. Hope so.

@Anyone

Here's a few I've read recently that I would recommend: Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank; A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick (the audio version read by Paul Giamatti is spectacular); Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy (bizarre and literary but still very interesting); A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess; The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (another fantasy book by a new author that's picked up some praise); King Lear by William Shakespeare.

Posted Image

#71 knapplc

Legend

• Members2
  • 38,311 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:31 AM

@knapplc

X1000 yes on Pressfield and especially Gates of Fire. I'm still in mourning that they decided to make the graphic novel 300 into a film before GOF. There's just no comparison. People thought they were watching a badass Sparta movie but they weren't. They were munching cold leftovers.

Colleen McCullough just about killed me, though. No Roman army business at all in the first million page novel. I didn't care for the prose much, either. I hear the series gets better after the first one. Hope so.

Agree about 300 vs. GoF. It's doubtful GoF ever gets made as a movie at this point, and that's a tragedy. I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I've exchanged many emails with Pressfield about his ancient Greek work and writing in general. He's a very approachable guy. I've never met him in person, but if I'm ever in the neighborhood when he's speaking, I'll definitely be there. He's been doing a tour of army bases the past month or so in support of The Profession, his latest work. Sadly, everything has been on the coasts - where the military bases are.

I also agree about McCullough's writing when it comes to battles. Being a woman, she's far more interested in character development than in military strategy, so when there was this big chapters-long buildup to Gaius Marius taking his legions up to Gaul for the first battle of the series - and then the whole battle was described in about four paragraphs. She writes voluminously and in tremendous detail about a tremendous amount of characters, so it's hard to keep track sometimes, but taken as a whole, the series is very satisfying.

Here's a few I've read recently that I would recommend: Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank; A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick (the audio version read by Paul Giamatti is spectacular); Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy (bizarre and literary but still very interesting); A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess; The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (another fantasy book by a new author that's picked up some praise); King Lear by William Shakespeare.

I've never read A Clockwork Orange, or watched the movie. I probably need to get that done soon.

clEdF.png

#72 Nebula

Heisman Winner

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:34 PM

Alas, Babylon is a great book. I enjoyed A Clockwork Orange quite a bit. I think I read the first thirty pages and then started over after I had a better grasp of the slang Burgess invented. My favorite Burgess book is The Wanting Seed. Definitely recommend that.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#73 PaulCrewe

Wizard of Osborne

• Members2
  • 8,146 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:57 PM

More or less they are stories of the debotchery he and his buddies have done in the pass, as well as messed up tales of chicks that he has bagged. All toilet humor, and very jackass-ish but friggin hilarious. And like I said earlier this guy is a law grad that has had some huge intern jobs. He is a riot

#74 ADS

Legend

• Members
  • 13,762 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:49 AM

More or less they are stories of the debotchery he and his buddies have done in the pass, as well as messed up tales of chicks that he has bagged. All toilet humor, and very jackass-ish but friggin hilarious. And like I said earlier this guy is a law grad that has had some huge intern jobs. He is a riot

Po- If you get the chance, give the book a try. It will have you laughing from start to finish.

I just started the second one, and already it is giving the first one a run for its money.
O2Z2aGv.png

#75 walksalone

Legend

• Members
  • 16,806 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:09 AM

Physics for Future Presidents - Richard Muller
KGB Poison Factory - Boris Volodarsky
Mustaine - Dave Mustaine
Horse Soldiers - Doug Stanton
Licensed to Kill - Robert Young Pelton
Mein Kampf - Hitler

I shall fear no evil, for the shadow is mine, and so is the valley...

Anything in life worth doing, is worth overdoing... Moderation is for cowards...

PixmwNV.png   the-e-4-mafia_design.png8f573e456f5229786bc39e9184286118.jpg

#FireMikeRiley

#76 PaulCrewe

Wizard of Osborne

• Members2
  • 8,146 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:49 PM

Po- If you get the chance, give the book a try. It will have you laughing from start to finish.

I just started the second one, and already it is giving the first one a run for its money.

Tent people,I have a Bullhorn so I am your GOD!!!!! Hilarious.

#77 GMoose

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:40 PM

I'm on an Anthony Bourdain kick right now, I just finished "A Cook's Tour". Right before that I read "Down and Out in Paris and London", one of George Orwell's first. I think I'm going to check out "Death to the BCS" next. My dad (who doesn't read AT ALL finished it in three days. Said it was quite fascinating.

#78 knapplc

Legend

• Members2
  • 38,311 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:06 AM

I'm on an Anthony Bourdain kick right now, I just finished "A Cook's Tour". Right before that I read "Down and Out in Paris and London", one of George Orwell's first. I think I'm going to check out "Death to the BCS" next. My dad (who doesn't read AT ALL finished it in three days. Said it was quite fascinating.

I've breezed through Bourdain's books at the bookstore and I think they're probably worth the read, but I'm such a cheap bastard that I hate paying hardback prices for them. I can't make myself spend $20 for a book.

He spoke at the Holland Center in Omaha last September and made for a very fun night. Should I bite the bullet and just buy one of his books?

clEdF.png

#79 GMoose

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:07 AM

I've breezed through Bourdain's books at the bookstore and I think they're probably worth the read, but I'm such a cheap bastard that I hate paying hardback prices for them. I can't make myself spend $20 for a book.

He spoke at the Holland Center in Omaha last September and made for a very fun night. Should I bite the bullet and just buy one of his books?

If you really like him as a speaker (I saw him at the Lied a few years back), buy the book. Try amazon, I've bought all my Bourdain books from there...all paperbacks. If you do buy one, start with Kitchen Confidential (Updated edition), his first book. From there, it doesn't matter where you go. So far, "The Nasty Bits" has been my favorite. If you're into his show and travel/foodie stuff, definitely a great read.

#80 Nebula

Heisman Winner

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:09 AM

How Much Land Does a Man Need? (And Other Stories.)

It's a collection of work by Tolstoy. Very enjoyable. $3.00 for a used copy.

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/0140445064
Posted ImagePosted Image

#81 ADS

Legend

• Members
  • 13,762 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:20 AM

Posted Image

I just started reading this one too. Its more about the inside workings of the camp, how people interacted and how the guards interacted. It's grusome, but very interesting at the same time. If WW2 stuff is your cup of tea, this is worth the read.
O2Z2aGv.png

#82 Nebula

Heisman Winner

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:39 AM

Posted Image

I just started reading this one too. Its more about the inside workings of the camp, how people interacted and how the guards interacted. It's grusome, but very interesting at the same time. If WW2 stuff is your cup of tea, this is worth the read.

I'll definitely check that out aspeedlin. Night by Elie Wiesel changed my life forever, no joke. I've never been able to feel quite as sorry for myself ever since.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#83 hskerholic

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:05 AM

I am finishing the book World War Z by max brooks. It is a bunch of interviews by surviviors of the zombie Appocalypse. Max Brooks is Mel Brooks kid and this is goona be made into a movie with Brad Pitt as the lead roll.

#84 T_O_Bull

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,170 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:48 PM

The 'Alex Cross' series by James Patterson.
T_O_B
:bigredn:
The Captain's on Deck

#85 strigori

The Bobfather

• Members
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

I'm reading "The Way of Kings" by Brandon Sanderson. Its in the fantasy genre like the rest of his work, and I really recommend anything from him.
All I know, is heroes come and villains go, just give the lunatic a chance.

#86 krc1995

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,604 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:37 PM

The 'Alex Cross' series by James Patterson.
T_O_B
:bigredn:

I just listened to the first two on Audio book. Pretty good

I am starting "Unbroken" The story of the olympian that was a POW in WWII. I gave a large print copy to my dad for Christmas because he was a WWII vet. He passed away in June, and while we were going through a few of his things I found it beside his bed, booked marked at the end of the book. It has received excellant reviews and I hope he enjoyed it, but I am very sad that I didn't get to discuss it with him.

#87 Husker_x

The Bobfather

• Members2
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:30 PM

I'm reading "The Way of Kings" by Brandon Sanderson. Its in the fantasy genre like the rest of his work, and I really recommend anything from him.

A friend of mine read that recently and also spoke very highly of it. I've never read anything from Sanderson. Maybe a place to start.

Posted Image

#88 strigori

The Bobfather

• Members
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:35 PM

A friend of mine read that recently and also spoke very highly of it. I've never read anything from Sanderson. Maybe a place to start.

The way of Kings is a book 1 of a planned 10. I would say Elantris or Warbreaker (both stand alones) would be better first starts, or the Mistborn trilogy.

#89 Husker_x

The Bobfather

• Members2
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:04 AM

The way of Kings is a book 1 of a planned 10. I would say Elantris or Warbreaker (both stand alones) would be better first starts, or the Mistborn trilogy.

I'll keep that in mind. Right now I'm reading the new one in Martin's series. I try to switch up genre/fiction-nonfiction, so maybe somewhere down the road. I think the first Mistborn is on my to-read list somewhere.

Posted Image

#90 GSG5545

Legend

• Members
  • 17,477 posts

HB Donor Scarlet

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:23 AM

I started reading "Scorecasting" last night. The example they use in the introduction was about little league softball and how they put the worst player in right field cuz he was least likely to touch the ball there, but then teams figured it out and started hitting that way, so they put the kid at catcher cuz there was no stealing allowed and whatnot.

Then they started talking about the David Tyree catch in the Super Bowl and how Mike Carey, the referee, could have blown the play dead because Eli Manning was basically "in the grasp" of the defender. The whole first chapter is about how fans will react worse to a bad call than a no call. They call it ommission bias. Pretty interesting so far.

EAT THE RICH

#91 hskerholic

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:04 PM

I started reading Stephen Hunter. He is the author of the Bob Lee Swager series(Movie Shooter) the first one Point of Impact is what the movie us based on. There are a total of seven of then I red the first one in two days couldn't put it down!

#92 knapplc

Legend

• Members2
  • 38,311 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:17 AM

I'm about to finish Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island. Simple book, one of the classics, and a very quick and easy read.

clEdF.png

#93 darkhorse85

Heisman Winner

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

HB Donor Bronze

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:21 PM

Ender's Game. Great book if you're into Sci-Fi. I'm not a really into Sci-Fi too much but I loved this book.
The D.E.N.N.I.S. System

• D - Demonstrate value
• E - Engage physically
• N - Nurturing dependence
• N - Neglect emotionally
• I - Inspire hope
• S - Separate entirely

#94 strigori

The Bobfather

• Members
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:02 PM

Ender's Game. Great book if you're into Sci-Fi. I'm not a really into Sci-Fi too much but I loved this book.

That is a great book. Its too bad the rest of the series is not nearly as good. Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide don't live up to the greatness of Ender's Game.

#95 GSG5545

Legend

• Members
  • 17,477 posts

HB Donor Scarlet

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:21 AM

I started reading "Scorecasting" last night. The example they use in the introduction was about little league softball and how they put the worst player in right field cuz he was least likely to touch the ball there, but then teams figured it out and started hitting that way, so they put the kid at catcher cuz there was no stealing allowed and whatnot.

Then they started talking about the David Tyree catch in the Super Bowl and how Mike Carey, the referee, could have blown the play dead because Eli Manning was basically "in the grasp" of the defender. The whole first chapter is about how fans will react worse to a bad call than a no call. They call it ommission bias. Pretty interesting so far.

I had to bump this because there was mention of the "defense wins championships" mantra in another thread.

In this "Scorecasting" book, they break down how it's not entirely true that defense wins championships. It's basically pretty even between top-notch offenses winning titles and top-notch defenses winning titles. So they are both even valued.

I thought that was interesting considering we have defensive guru as a head coach here at DONU.

EAT THE RICH

#96 RednScarlet

Travel Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:14 AM

Posted Image

My oldest son gave me this book saying that since the 'cold war' shaped so much of my life,
that I would enjoy the 'behind the scenes' motives.
He is right.
This book will probably scare some people with the amount of chemical munitions still missing from the former Soviet Union.
Where they are at and in whose hand, makes this book an interesting read.

Nhuskers_zpszofkecai.pngNashville...I am only here for the MoonPies and RC Cola

#97 knapplc

Legend

• Members2
  • 38,311 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:12 AM

NPR took nominations, then votes, for the top 100 Sci/Fi & Fantasy novels. Looking through this list, I'm a little surprised that, although this is my favorite genre, I've only read about 1/3 of the books on this list.

LINK <---- Contains descriptions of each novel/series.

Their results:

1 The Lord Of The Rings
2 The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
3 Ender's Game
4 The Dune Chronicles
5 A Song Of Ice And Fire Series
6 1984
7 Fahrenheit 451
8 The Foundation Triology
9 Brave New World
10 American Gods
11 The Princess Bride
12 The Wheel Of Time Series
13 Animal Farm
14 Neuromancer
15 Watchmen
16 I, Robot
17 Stranger In A Strange Land
18 The Kingkiller Chronicles
19 Slaughterhouse-Five
20 Frankenstein
21 Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?
22 The Handmaid's Tale
23 The Dark Tower Series
24 2001: A Space Odyssey
25 The Stand
26 Snow Crash
27 The Martian Chronicles
28 Cat's Cradle
29 The Sandman Series
30 A Clockwork Orange
31 Starship Troopers
32 Watership Down
33 Dragonflight
34 The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress
35 A Canticle For Leibowitz
36 The Time Machine
37 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
38 Flowers For Algernon
39 The War Of The Worlds
40 The Amber Chronicles
41 The Belgariad
42 The Mists Of Avalon
43 Mistborn Trilogy
44 Ringworld
45 The Left Hand Of Darkness
46 The Silmarillion
47 The Once And Future King
48 Neverwhere
49 Childhood's End
50 Contact
51 The Hyperion Cantos
52 Stardust
53 Cryptonomicon
54 World War Z
55 The Last Unicorn
56 The Forever War
57 Small Gods
58 The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever
59 The Vorkosigan Saga
60 Going Postal
61 The Mote In God's Eye
62 The Sword Of Truth Series
63 The Road
64 Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell
65 I Am Legend
66 The Riftwar Saga
67 The Sword of Shannara Trilogy
68 The Conan The Barbarian Series
69 The Farseer Trilogy
70 The Time Traveler's Wife
71 The Way Of Kings
72 Journey To The Center Of The Earth
73 The Legend Of Drizzt Series
74 Old Man's War
75 The Diamond Age
76 Rendezvous With Rama
77 The Kushiel's Legacy Series
78 The Dispossessed
79 Something Wicked This Way Comes
80 Wicked
81 The Malazan Book Of The Fallen series
82 The Eyre Affair
83 The Culture Series
84 The Crystal Cave
85 Anathem
86 The Codex Alera Series
87 The Book Of The New Sun
88 The Thrawn Trilogy
89 The Outlander Series
90 The Elric Saga
91 The Illustrated Man
92 Sunshine
93 A Fire Upon The Deep
94 The Caves Of Steel
95 The Mars Trilogy
96 Lucifer's Hammer
97 Doomsday Book
98 Perdido Street Station
99 The Xanth Series
100 The Space Trilogy

clEdF.png

#98 Husker_x

The Bobfather

• Members2
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:33 PM

They've been writing books a lot longer than any of us have been reading them.

I recent finished the fourth and fifth installments of George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones to you HBO subscribers)––the narrative hit a pretty big lag here. I don't know if at his current pace he'll ever finish the series. He's got a long way to go and claims there are only two books left. Somehow I doubt that.

Posted Image

#99 rawhide

Team HuskerBoard

• Mods
  • 9,892 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 01:22 AM

I was going to call BS if Asimov didn't get in the top 10 :)

Liked the dragon series by Anne McCaffrey too; kinda superficial but entertaining.

Dean Ing wrote a trilogy about post apocalyptic America. Entertaining with survival training included at no additional cost.

Let me clarify that. Post nuclear apocalypse :D

Lots of sci-fi I love but most isn't too deep and not bound for the literary honor roll.

I donated for Childhood Apraxia.

Posted Image

HuskerNation.com is operated by Huskerboard - sales help pay our high hosting costs to keep the board 100% free. We appreciate your help

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/page/huskerboard_rules.html      

#100 Lonestar_Husker

Backup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:35 AM

Golf in the Kingdom. Gotta love a character named Shivas Irons.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users