Bradr    211

Mods, move this if needed.

According to this HuskerExtra article, it sounds like the founding fathers of the site have been fired and no longer have access to the site?

The founders are looking to open a new site called HuskerMax.com. The have an info page here.

Weird. If this is true, I hereby boycott Huskerpedia from here on out.

ESPY    75

Don't ya kinda hafta boycott Huskerpedia if the forefathers don't run it anymore? I'm not about to pay heed to someone who doesn't know the 1st thing about Nebraska athletics, especially if they're based in Cali.

NUance    6,937

Turns out that the www.huskerpedia.com url is owned by Information Superbrand, Inc., an outfit based in Irvine. And all this time I thought it was Max's website.

knapplc    16,509

Turns out that the www.huskerpedia.com url is owned by Information Superbrand, Inc., an outfit based in Irvine. And all this time I thought it was Max's website.

ISI is a facilitator. Think of them like the strip mall in which HuskerPedia is based. They provide the facilities through which HP does their business. HP and similar sites have the content but not the wherewithal to provide it to the public.

What ISI did seems like a strip mall manager taking over a store that sells a unique product. They continue to sell that product under the actual owner's name after they kicked the old owner out.

There is clearly more to this story. I have a very hard time believing Max when he says, “All I know is that Joe and I are no longer part of the company.” He knows more, and he's not saying. Probably he's not talking due to the legal ramifications of the situation, which is prudent on his part, but it could be any number of things from ISI just being belligerent and trying to take over a good product, or Max and the other Husker guy not paying their bills, to any number of things. It's way too early to tell who's at fault here.

What I do know is this - I'll be supporting the Husker fans in this situation, not the overlords from Irvine. Bottom line for me is "support your fellow Huskers."

RedDenver    1,058

Mark me as supporting the small-time Husker fans and not the large corporation. I've already switched my bookmark over to HuskerMax.com

knapplc    16,509

not as good as huskerboard anyway..

Agreed. Haven't found much that's even close (mods, my address is....)

HuskerMax offers different things than we offer. For message boards there's nothing better than HuskerBoard, and frankly it's not even close. There's a reason I'm on here all the time talking to you guys - collectively, we know our stuff, and we make for good conversation. Everyone take a bow. :thumbs

HuskerMax provides some great stats, though, that HuskerBoard doesn't, simply because it's not our focus. I find them useful for supporting facts in a discussion. The facts come from over there, but the discussion happens here. As God intended.

Bradr    211

HuskerMax offers different things than we offer. For message boards there's nothing better than HuskerBoard, and frankly it's not even close. There's a reason I'm on here all the time talking to you guys - collectively, we know our stuff, and we make for good conversation. Everyone take a bow. :thumbs

HuskerMax provides some great stats, though, that HuskerBoard doesn't, simply because it's not our focus. I find them useful for supporting facts in a discussion. The facts come from over there, but the discussion happens here. As God intended.

Absolutely. Different websites, but both very useful in their own way.

mmmtodd    137

Consider me in line for the huskerpedia boycott. I hope the word gets out, and jaws drop when they see the power of husker nation coming together, and making their greedy takeover of obviously a great product seem foolish once there are no more clicks on their site.

Release the hounds!

knapplc    16,509

What irks me about ISI is, if you go to their website, the only site they specifically name of the 1,500 for whom they provide services is HuskerPedia. They boast about how it grosses $1.5 million a year - as if they have anything to do with it. :facepalm:

Here's their latest press release, dated today.

:steam

kchusker_chris    1,401

What irks me about ISI is, if you go to their website, the only site they specifically name of the 1,500 for whom they provide services is HuskerPedia. They boast about how it grosses $1.5 million a year - as if they have anything to do with it. :facepalm:

Here's their latest press release, dated today.

:steam

I think I remember about 6-12 months ago Max saying he was leaving his full time job to join Huskerpedia and work on it full time. I'm assuming that meant joining ISI on staff. From quickly browsing the other 1500 sites...I'd say Huskerpedia and the associated forum is a large percentage of ISI income.

Just a wild guess (and this is all speculation), but I'd say there was probably a dispute about the future of ISI regarding the distribution of that revenue. Huskerpedia is Max's baby, but if he was on staff at ISI he had equal responsibility to the other 1500 sites. If they wanted to unequally distribute revenue I'd be pissed too. Huskerpedia needs a serious face-lift. With revenue like that it shouldn't be an issue - yet it's been almost a year since I'd read an update saying there was a new website in the works. I'm guessing Max was used to being agile in the development and content management. When you're small you can move quickly. When he joined ISI there's probably 3 miles of BS red tape to go along with every decision. Perhaps he saw his baby getting smothered by beauracracy.

Just a theory.

knapplc    16,509

Yeah, could be. I emailed ISI to see if they'd provide some new info, but they haven't responded (and probably won't - I wouldn't).

Judoka    95

If that $1.5 mil is mostly because of Huskerpedia, ISI is sure are going to take a hit after the smoke clears on this one.

knapplc    16,509

If that $1.5 mil is mostly because of Huskerpedia, ISI is sure are going to take a hit after the smoke clears on this one.

Not necessarily. Most consumers aren't choosy. They tend to go to the path of least resistance, and they tend to be creatures of habit. If they've got a bookmark already set up for HP, many folks aren't likely to change because of this.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I think if HuskerMax continues to use the same layout and data that they're going to have legal issues with ISI. I can't imagine ISI letting that much revenue just walk away without trying to make it difficult. This could get ugly.

Judoka    95

Not necessarily. Most consumers aren't choosy. They tend to go to the path of least resistance, and they tend to be creatures of habit. If they've got a bookmark already set up for HP, many folks aren't likely to change because of this.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I think if HuskerMax continues to use the same layout and data that they're going to have legal issues with ISI. I can't imagine ISI letting that much revenue just walk away without trying to make it difficult. This could get ugly.

True about consumers and their shopping tendencies, the uniqueness of this situation will make it interesting to follow.

t_husker    0

i love both sites. huskerboard has much, MUCH better boards. huskerpedia is great in that max has all the links to stories so that when i only have 2 minutes i can get on and see if anything big is going on. max runs a superb website.

JTrain    855

I've had nothing but good experiences with the HP founders. Back in high school, I ran my own Husker site and they would graciously link to articles from the site when I emailed them on occasion. It was free exposure that they certainly had no obligation to provide.

I was also a regular at their forum until they started charging.

irieboy8    251

I've had nothing but good experiences with the HP founders. Back in high school, I ran my own Husker site and they would graciously link to articles from the site when I emailed them on occasion. It was free exposure that they certainly had no obligation to provide.

I was also a regular at their forum until they started charging.

huskerpedia was the first place i checked out.. .but the thought of money just to comment!? really tripped me out..... so i became a dreaded lurker who people on the site would rally against for crashing the board..... so i kinda just stopped going there... sometimes i do go there for the quick summary of thing...

HB is has so much knowledge and detail and so mnay people posting info it crushes HP..... but at the same time for some qucik info (due to limited amount of people posting stuff.. especially in recruiting) i would go there to check stuff out... i am bummed though that some guys got the shaft.... kinda sucks

sarge87    45

I would say you're probably right about any other consumer base, but we're talking about Husker fans knapp. We're probably the only fanbase in the country who mobilizes in force anytime a Husker fan or player needs it.

If ISI truly did them wrong, Huskerpedia won't be worth a plug nickel within a year.

chamrocck    186

I agree with a lot of this. Pedia has some good data facts and links to articles but their boards seemed to have slowed down considerably in last few years. Our recruiting forum completely destroys them. I remember I used to lurk over there on the boards but I don't find nearly as much info. and/or timely info. as I do on our boards. In fact it appears a lot of the topics now start here before Pedia picks up on them.

From lurking their board now, it would appear their members are going to move in mass to the new site to support the originators. So, my bet is Pedia slowly dies (esepcially if no one is posting there!) and while Max will probably have to come up with different look, name, etc. their members will end up over there. Anyway, I hope it all works out for them. Good site but different than ours now for past few years. GBR

garn    4

Here's some info on the dispute that may or may not be new.

http://www.huskermax.com/dispute.html

Huskerpedia was the first husker site I frequented. I still go there to read articles.

Same for me.

Another Husker mesage board soap opera, just what the internet needs...NOT!

irieboy8    251

i feel bad for those guys... not much positivity right now over there..... i think charging just for a message board was a very good idea... leads to a lot of stagnation when most people on ther just got their infor from RSS or this board anyways... i did like some of the shirts they came out with... i even got one of those children of the corn shirts for a christmas gift one year... just a bummer is all i guess....

bshirt    232

I agree with a lot of this. Pedia has some good data facts and links to articles but their boards seemed to have slowed down considerably in last few years. Our recruiting forum completely destroys them. I remember I used to lurk over there on the boards but I don't find nearly as much info. and/or timely info. as I do on our boards. In fact it appears a lot of the topics now start here before Pedia picks up on them.

From lurking their board now, it would appear their members are going to move in mass to the new site to support the originators. So, my bet is Pedia slowly dies (esepcially if no one is posting there!) and while Max will probably have to come up with different look, name, etc. their members will end up over there. Anyway, I hope it all works out for them. Good site but different than ours now for past few years. GBR

I think HuskerBoard simply blows away Huskerpedia. It's not even close.

I used to be a member there in the Callahan days but the political correctness requirements then were simply silly. Unless you showed endless admiration and appreciation for Cally/Coz (even though NU was getting its head kicked in constantly) you eventually would get banned. Seriously.....it happened to many. It was disgusting, imo.

I don't miss HuskerPedia and will shed no tears for it. I'll however always be very grateful for this, Scout & Rivals boards.

mmmtodd    137

from checking out the new boards, doesnt seem like they are having much of a problem getting members to migrate to Max's new site. Looking like ISI is going to end up with their bubblegum caught in the zipper once the smoke clears.

Thanks for the info. I've removed Huskerpedia from my bookmarks and added HuskerMax. I'm already glad to see that Col. Mustard has made the transition too. Removing the founding fathers from Huskerpedia in my opionion is like when the then Athletic Director of Nebraska tried to "kill off" Herbie Husker. Why ruin a good thing? I wonder if Huskerpedia is going to try to revamp their page? Doesn't matter though, I'm telling all my friends and relatives to make the switch. Huskerpedia WAS the place to get your Cornhusker news, I hope it looses a ton of visits now.

HuskerMax wholeheartedly get this Die Hard Cornhusker Fan's support. Go Big Red!

huKSer    1,322

Is there anyway of finding the number of hits per day a website gets? I would like to compare huskerpedia the week after signing day, huskerpedia today and huskermax today. And do the same in a month.

Eric the Red    525

Huskerboard members,

Thanks so much for your continued support. We take your comments very seriously. Several people have mentioned facts and stories that you read at huskerpedia as much of the reason you will venture to the other site. Do you think it would be benficial for us to have something like that here?

A page of statistics or at least links to finding them? If not this, what would put us over the top, far and away the best, complete board out there?

Give me feedback on that...any and all!!!

As always, we appreciate you guys being part of the board.

Eric the Red    525

Mods, move this if needed.

According to this HuskerExtra article, it sounds like the founding fathers of the site have been fired and no longer have access to the site?

The founders are looking to open a new site called HuskerMax.com. The have an info page here.

Weird. If this is true, I hereby boycott Huskerpedia from here on out.

Hey Bradr,

Since it's the offseason and not much going on till at least spring ball starts in a few weeks, this is an important topic and can stay in the main forum. Besides it gives us a great chance to review what we have here and allows the members to offer insight into how we can make out site better.

Thanks

mmmtodd    137

you can get rough estimates here. Whats most interesting (make sure go thru all the different graphs: Time On Site is particularly striking) is that Huskerpedia seemed to trend upward during the beginning of the fallout, but is now, at least according to this site, falling below its normal numbers, and on a downward slide.

Huskerpedia

Huskermax

The Pageviews/User graph for Huskermax was the most interesting to me.

If Im reading it right, users spend almost twice the amount of time (and climbing) on Huskermax than Huskerpedia. (3.24 to 1.85 minutes)

Granted, you cant really find much info/rankings on huskermax yet as it was only created on the 15th of Feb. But from comparing the two on the various graphs, I'd say that Huksermax seems to have the surge behind it, the upperhand.

mmmtodd    137

Huskerboard members,

Thanks so much for your continued support. We take your comments very seriously. Several people have mentioned facts and stories that you read at huskerpedia as much of the reason you will venture to the other site. Do you think it would be benficial for us to have something like that here?

A page of statistics or at least links to finding them? If not this, what would put us over the top, far and away the best, complete board out there?

I think if there was a box on the main page, an aggregate of links to Husker related stories, that would be pretty darn handy. Just nice, clean, and simple. One line description/source type thing. Kind of like what yuo find on the main page at huskermax, but I think it could be put in a small box, a la the status update thingy. I'd rather have every husker related story at my fingertips rather than what joeblow is having for dinner. (which I am guilty of posting regularly.)

HSKRNOKC    75

Huskerboard members,

I think if there was a box on the main page, an aggregate of links to Husker related stories, that would be pretty darn handy. Just nice, clean, and simple. One line description/source type thing. Kind of like what yuo find on the main page at huskermax, but I think it could be put in a small box, a la the status update thingy. I'd rather have every husker related story at my fingertips rather than what joeblow is having for dinner. (which I am guilty of posting regularly.)

I agree with the above. It would also cut down on multiple people posting the same article hopefully.

huKSer    1,322

you can get rough estimates here. Whats most interesting (make sure go thru all the different graphs: Time On Site is particularly striking) is that Huskerpedia seemed to trend upward during the beginning of the fallout, but is now, at least according to this site, falling below its normal numbers, and on a downward slide.

Huskerpedia

Huskermax

The Pageviews/User graph for Huskermax was the most interesting to me.

If Im reading it right, users spend almost twice the amount of time (and climbing) on Huskermax than Huskerpedia. (3.24 to 1.85 minutes)

Granted, you cant really find much info/rankings on huskermax yet as it was only created on the 15th of Feb. But from comparing the two on the various graphs, I'd say that Huksermax seems to have the surge behind it, the upperhand.

JTrain    855

Will be interesting to see what happens with the main site content (historical schedules, game pages, series histories, etc.). You would think someone owns the content, and therefore someone does not. But as of now, they both have the same content.

AR Husker Fan    1,084

Huskerboard members,

I think paying all Admins, say, $100,000 per year. That'd do put HuskerBoard "over the top" for me.

Hey, you asked!

DaveH    85

Huskerboard members,

I think paying all Admins, say, $100,000 per year. That'd do put HuskerBoard "over the top" for me.

Hey, you asked!

seconded.

Redmusky    42

from checking out the new boards, doesnt seem like they are having much of a problem getting members to migrate to Max's new site. Looking like ISI is going to end up with their bubblegum caught in the zipper once the smoke clears.

I agree with you Huskerpedia has no movement on their board, Max is gaining ground.

Bradr    211

I gotta admit, there is some small part of me that wants to peek and see what they're up to...

But thats what they want, so I have avoided temptation thus far.

I think it'll get better once spring football starts. These slow times will make a man slip just for a tidbit of husker info.

knapplc    16,509

I gotta admit, there is some small part of me that wants to peek and see what they're up to...

But thats what they want, so I have avoided temptation thus far.

I think it'll get better once spring football starts. These slow times will make a man slip just for a tidbit of husker info.

What's wrong with visiting their boards? I do it once in a while, and I use HP's stats pages all the time for info. You won't catch anything going over there. They're Husker fans, too. :)

Bradr    211

I meant visiting huskerpedia vs visiting huskermax, which I currently do.

A small part of me wants to see if huskerpedia has any info that huskermax might have missed.

But visiting huskerpedia plays into the very reasons that huskkerpedia's owners got greedy in the first place.

knapplc    16,509

I get it. Duh. :)

There's nothing wrong with peeking in, I guess. I won't, but whatever.

PS - I posted last week that I emailed ISI about the HP situation. They never responded, and I don't blame them. I wouldn't have responded either.