Free Speech Fail

Regardless of my opinion of Ann Coulter . . . she should have the right to speak her mind.

Freedom of speech in the United States is still one thing that we can all point to and say "Here's one thing that I am proud of as a United States citizen."

This.

If the Canadians are telling her that she could be in trouble for "stepping over the line" in her speech, then she is correct in asserting the free speech is not as strong in Canada as in America. You can say the most ridiculous hateful things in America and nobody can do anything about it - so long as it doesn't directly threaten or endanger anyone specifically. She is her own best example of this, unfortunately for the rest of us.

Actually the bold section is not quite true. If you switch "nobody" to "US government actor" it would be closer to correct. The Bill of Rights does not protect you from censorship by private parties.

I agree with the rest of what you said.

Right. I was implying public speech. Had a person where I work complain that my boss was infringing on her freedom of speech rights because my boss - a black woman - forbade this black person from saying ******. My boss laughed at her, and then fired her.

Haha. Good for your boss. :corndance