Two Quick Thoughts

How about this. Sixteen thousand fans go to each game next year and cheer wildly. Recruits come to visit and see an atmosphere that matches that of only the top 20 schools. Some good ones sign. Then the next year sixteen thousand more fans at each game and a couple more Big 12 caliber players on board. After that, we start winning and sixteen thousand people are at each game because they want to see a great team. It would be nice to think that Nebraska fans are different and would go support a below average team, with the promise (likely although not certain) that they would get better, with the investment of going out to watch them in a couple of down years. What else are you going to do on a Wednesday night? :wasted

AMEN! I'm tired of talking to people who are die-hard husker fans EXCEPT during bball. They pick a team like Duke or UNC and act like they are "too good" to cheer for a below average team. Get the f*ck over yourself and go to the damn games. How can you claim to bleed red during the fall and then turn your back on the 'skers that play on hardwood?

Once the university starts caring about NU Basketball is the day I will begin caring about NU Basketball.

You can continue to be the bball backer while I, and others, will continue to be the bball realists. Fair enough? Good.

In other words, you will follow them when they win. Our guys chose to play for the Huskers, that is all it takes to have my support. There are plenty of people in Lincoln and Omaha to fill Devaney. They've done it before. Have you ever seen a full stadium for a crappy team (don't mention the Callahan years, it would only serve to prove my point). I may be reversing the typical cause - effect relationship, but I think a good team would result. :wtf

Your only point is just because they are NU we should support a crappy program - a program that could be beyond respectable if the Athletic Dept. cared about the program. Sorry my, and a lot of other peoples - expectations are much higher than settling to watch a team just because they are NU.

Again, once the university cares about and puts a quality and competitive product on the court, a lot more people will care about the program. The ball, so to speak, is in the AD's court. The people will about the program equal to the efforts the AD is making towards putting together a annually competitive product on the court.

How about this. Sixteen thousand fans go to each game next year and cheer wildly. Recruits come to visit and see an atmosphere that matches that of only the top 20 schools. Some good ones sign. Then the next year sixteen thousand more fans at each game and a couple more Big 12 caliber players on board. After that, we start winning and sixteen thousand people are at each game because they want to see a great team. It would be nice to think that Nebraska fans are different and would go support a below average team, with the promise (likely although not certain) that they would get better, with the investment of going out to watch them in a couple of down years. What else are you going to do on a Wednesday night? :wasted

AMEN! I'm tired of talking to people who are die-hard husker fans EXCEPT during bball. They pick a team like Duke or UNC and act like they are "too good" to cheer for a below average team. Get the f*ck over yourself and go to the damn games. How can you claim to bleed red during the fall and then turn your back on the 'skers that play on hardwood?

Once the university starts caring about NU Basketball is the day I will begin caring about NU Basketball.

You can continue to be the bball backer while I, and others, will continue to be the bball realists. Fair enough? Good.

In other words, you will follow them when they win. Our guys chose to play for the Huskers, that is all it takes to have my support. There are plenty of people in Lincoln and Omaha to fill Devaney. They've done it before. Have you ever seen a full stadium for a crappy team (don't mention the Callahan years, it would only serve to prove my point). I may be reversing the typical cause - effect relationship, but I think a good team would result. :wtf

Your logic is like saying that if more people keep buying GM and Chrysler cars they will get better. Right. Even though the basketball and baseball teams are in a slump, at the very least I listen to the radio broadcasts of every game start to finish no matter how bad the beating is. Remember this. 15,000 people who are not into a game sound exactly the same as 3000 people who are not into a game. The Husker basketball team did very little to warrant cheering at home this year. Think about that.

Your logic is like saying that if more people keep buying GM and Chrysler cars they will get better. Right. Even though the basketball and baseball teams are in a slump, at the very least I listen to the radio broadcasts of every game start to finish no matter how bad the beating is. Remember this. 15,000 people who are not into a game sound exactly the same as 3000 people who are not into a game. The Husker basketball team did very little to warrant cheering at home this year. Think about that.

Really? Do cars travel around the nation looking for the best factory to be produced in? Do they base at least part of their decision on how many people seem to support each factory? Last I checked, a packed arena screaming for one team can have a heavy impact on a kid choosing a college (note all the fb commits that say they come because they love the atmosphere), but a packed arena screaming for one car company does not have an impact on the quality of cars produced.

It has more than every to do with the August excuse. Baylor was lass than an inch from death, which was 1,000,000 times worse than what Doc inherited, but Baylor has found a way to play pretty damn good ball.

The August hiring, especially in basketabll, is a really poor excuse.

1. An August hiring in Bball is like a June hiring in football. Pretty sure a football coach hired in June gets a pass on his first recruiting class. (Basketball spring signing is approx. 2 months after football and the bball season starts approx. 2 months after football)

2. Scott Drew's AD hasn't publicly said "I would discourage Scott from using AAU coaches to recruit." He uses AAU, he gets players, he wins. End of story. T.O. won't allow Doc to use that method

Seriously? I didn't know that, no wonder we aren't getting any recruits because have publicly stated that they rarely deal with recruiting these days unless the athlete being recruited isn't on an AAU team. If I was Doc I would be tempted to just visist a AAU tournament and see what he gets out of it. I know he wouldn't be alowed to talk to anybody but it sure would be better than nothing. I honestly don't know how you can recruit well and not talk to AAU coaches. No wonder we get so many JUCO's and players from other countries.

To be fair to Tom, he didn't say Doc couldn't recruit AAU. What he said was he didn't want Doc using the AAU coaches to get to a recruit. As far as I know, Doc can talk to the players. However, the game today goes through the AAU coaches, unless you have a tremendous sales pitch it's going to be hard to sway a kid when he's got his AAU coach in his ear telling him to go somewhere else.

Your only point is just because they are NU we should support a crappy program - a program that could be beyond respectable if the Athletic Dept. cared about the program. Sorry my, and a lot of other peoples - expectations are much higher than settling to watch a team just because they are NU.

Again, once the university cares about and puts a quality and competitive product on the court, a lot more people will care about the program. The ball, so to speak, is in the AD's court. The people will about the program equal to the efforts the AD is making towards putting together a annually competitive product on the court.

First off, when have I not been a realist? I said this team sucked this year. I questioned Doc more than once, especially on recruiting. Saying this team deserves our support makes me unreal? Interesting.

Second, you completely ignored what Cap K said about football. You say your expectations are much higher than settling to watch a team just because they are NU. You mean ol' Bill was meeting your expectations? I didn't realize that everyone's expectations were so low for the football team. After all (according to what you just said), if people were unhappy with a crappy football team they would not have packed memorial just to watch them because they wore an N on their helmets. And your argument about the Ath. Dep. not supporting basketball is somewhat true, but if devaney were packed every night and actually making a little money I bet they'd start to care... also it's hard to say they don't care anymore with Tom building a practice facility and campaigning for a new arena... not to mention he attends every game

• Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Forgot to update this when I heard it but Pressey is goingg to play for Mizzou. There goes another one.

That was a pretty easy recruit. His father, Paul Pressey (26 years in the NBA as a player and coach), has been close friends with Mizzou coach Mike Anderson since they went college together. And Matt's little brother, Phil, will be a freshman next season.

Matt and fellow recruit, Ricardo Ratliffe, are considered two of the top juco players in the country - Ratliffe rated Numero Uno.