Anyone here not have health insurance?

Since this has been highly debated, is there anyone here that does not have some sort of coverage or know someone who does not? Would be interesting to hear that side of the fence, as much as most here are against this, what positives would this bring to a family that does not have any coverage?

That is kind of why I posted this, with all the negative out of this whole thing, there has got to be a positive for the people that need it. Now I am not saying this is the right answer, but I think for those who are/have been uninsured it is the step in the right direction.

I declined insurance with my employer two years ago.

Because:

Just going through a divorce as I was starting a new job and was trying to save as much money as I could to pay child support and keep up the mortgage.

Hardly ever had the time to use it when I did have it with previous employers.

Don't remember ever feeling like going to the doctor was a good idea after the few times I did go...I usually seemed to remember more from my Bio-Chemistry and Micro-Biology classes than any of my Dr's did..but then, I never saw them for more than 90 seconds at a time.

(Once I butterflied a gash on my Son's eyebrow so well, the ER doc called in another Dr. to see it..then tore it off to re-clean it and it really scarred after that).

Pretty much lost the will to prolong my life any more than absolutely necessary after the divorce/loss of seeing my kids on a daily basis.

Stopped taking BP and Cholesterol meds which was the main benefit I got out of insurance.

Never felt the paperwork was worth the trouble when the body does so well at healing itself.

So now..with this new health plan that my Governor is planning on suing the Feds over..Do I need to find some Religion to believe in that opposes anything other than faith healing so I can get out of it?

I have always had coverage, always. Was layed off last May, Cobra is way way to expensive even with the break Obama approved. So count me as one who does not have any coverage due to unemployment. Pisses me off that they mandated coverage even if it won't go into effect for a few years.

Just how in the hell are you supposed to pay for it with out employment dumb asses.

No healthcare. And the only times in my life that I have was my fathers military insurance when I was under 18 (which I rarely used), and for a few years at my last employer before I was canned. The worst part about that was that I had no co pay and decent deductibles with their insurance, but again I never used it. I know it was foolish but I just don't go to the doctor unless I'm broken or dead, it's just the way I'm wired. Now I'm kicking myself in the ass for not taking advantage of it when I had it. :facepalm:

Now I'm in the position again that I don't know wtf I'm going to do about insurance in the future. What I do know is that it doesn't help matters much that the price of insurance alone makes it a near impossibility for many families, mine included, to afford. So I find myself wondering how exactly anyone expects that to change in the near future?

I also think a more important question is what kind of changes are going to be made by the insurance companies themselves? The companies whose soul purpose now days seems to be to collect outrageous premiums from their customers every month, only to deny as much coverage and care as they possibly can when those people do become ill or injured? (And that's only if they don't drop you from their roles entirely!) What is their role in all this? Do they get to just sit back and keep accumulating cash like it's business as usual?

Huh, if that's the case I think I just stumbled across what my next career field should be! :huh:

No healthcare. And the only times in my life that I have was my fathers military insurance when I was under 18 (which I rarely used), and for a few years at my last employer before I was canned. The worst part about that was that I had no co pay and decent deductibles with their insurance, but again I never used it. I know it was foolish but I just don't go to the doctor unless I'm broken or dead, it's just the way I'm wired. Now I'm kicking myself in the ass for not taking advantage of it when I had it. :facepalm:

Now I'm in the position again that I don't know wtf I'm going to do about insurance in the future. What I do know is that it doesn't help matters much that the price of insurance alone makes it a near impossibility for many families, mine included, to afford. So I find myself wondering how exactly anyone expects that to change in the near future?

I also think a more important question is what kind of changes are going to be made by the insurance companies themselves? The companies whose soul purpose now days seems to be to collect outrageous premiums from their customers every month, only to deny as much coverage and care as they possibly can when those people do become ill or injured? (And that's only if they don't drop you from their roles entirely!) What is their role in all this? Do they get to just sit back and keep accumulating cash like it's business as usual?

Huh, if that's the case I think I just stumbled across what my next career field should be! :huh:

I do agree that insurance companies are most of the reasons why some do not take coverage, it is an unfortunate part of life, and some pay an arm and leg for it, one thing that always got to me is I have coverage and until i had my kid i never made a claim in 7 years, but I was forced to pay higher premiums every year b/c of the high volume of claims made by coworkers. It wasn't until i was selected to a committee at work to select a new provider that I was shocked to learn the hard numbers on why the rapid increase in premiums, and sadly to say most were to cover smoker related claims. <_<

I"ve been without a couple of times in my life, but at the time, I didn't reallly need it. Gotta say though, I sold Insurance briefly in the early 90"s and there were many very affordable catastropic policies (ones that only kick in when you have major medical expenses like cancer of heart surgury) available. I don't know if these will even be an option for those who can't afford premiums under this iniative or, because all policies will be required to contain certain coverages, we may all be screwed.

Just got this email from a fav. cousin in Denver that hardly ever writes...

FORWARD THIS AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!

I went to Congressman Flemings website and "voted," and then also sent

him a message commending his leadership in this amendment

by clicking on "Contact Us" then scroll to bottom of page

FORWARD THIS AS FAST AS YOU CAN

*Finally, some good news to act on!!.

Forward this as fast as you can!

On Tuesday, the Senate health committee voted 12-11 in favor of

a two-page amendment that would require all Members and their

staffs to enroll in any new government-run health plan..*

**It took me less than a minute to sign up to require our

congressmen and senators to drink at the same trough!*

**Three cheers for Congressman John Fleming of Louisiana

!Congressman John Fleming ( Louisiana physician) has proposed an

amendment that would require congressmen and senators to take

the same

healthcare plan they force on us (under proposed legislation

they are curiously exempt).

Congressman Fleming is encouraging people to go on his Website

and Sign his petition (very simple - just email).*

**I have just done just that at:

**http://fleming.house.gov/index.cfm?sectionid=55

Please urge as many people as you can to do the same!

If Congress forces this on the American people, the Congress

should have to accept the same level of health care for

themselves and their families.*

**To do otherwise is the height of hypocrisy!*

*_Please pass this on !!!_*

Just got this email from a fav. cousin in Denver that hardly ever writes...

FORWARD THIS AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!

I went to Congressman Flemings website and "voted," and then also sent

him a message commending his leadership in this amendment

by clicking on "Contact Us" then scroll to bottom of page

FORWARD THIS AS FAST AS YOU CAN

*Finally, some good news to act on!!.

Forward this as fast as you can!

On Tuesday, the Senate health committee voted 12-11 in favor of

a two-page amendment that would require all Members and their

staffs to enroll in any new government-run health plan..*

**It took me less than a minute to sign up to require our

congressmen and senators to drink at the same trough!*

**Three cheers for Congressman John Fleming of Louisiana

!Congressman John Fleming ( Louisiana physician) has proposed an

amendment that would require congressmen and senators to take

the same

healthcare plan they force on us (under proposed legislation

they are curiously exempt).

Congressman Fleming is encouraging people to go on his Website

and Sign his petition (very simple - just email).*

**I have just done just that at:

**http://fleming.house.gov/index.cfm?sectionid=55

Please urge as many people as you can to do the same!

If Congress forces this on the American people, the Congress

should have to accept the same level of health care for

themselves and their families.*

**To do otherwise is the height of hypocrisy!*

*_Please pass this on !!!_*

I tried but the link didn't work.