Bobby Bowden Speech

This was a great article, so I wanted to to share. I specially like the editor's note at the end of the article...

Editor's note: On Oct. 8, 1980, Head Coach Bobby Bowden wrote the following letter on Florida State stationary and sent it to Nebraska after his Seminoles beat the Huskers, 18-14 in Lincoln: "I have been coaching college football the past 28 years and have played before some great crowds in this country. I have never seen people with more class than I saw at Nebraska last week. The Nebraska fans, players, cheerleaders, band, officials, coaches, etc., gave me a living testimony of what college football should be all about. I actually had the feeling that when we upset the Nebraska team that instead of hate and spite, the Nebraska fans thanked us for coming to Lincoln and putting on a good show. This is nearly unheard of in today's society. Nebraska, you are a great example for Americans to copy. I hope we show half the class your people do."

Link

There was a time, though, when Bowden wondered if Nebraska was almost Paradise Lost. "When I saw Nebraska three, four, five years ago, I just couldn't believe it," Bowden said. "I've been around a long time, and I'd just never seen Nebraska not play physical, hard-nosed, ram-the-ball-down-your-throat football. I saw them play a finesse type of football, and it just didn't work.

"My first thought was this defense does not fit Nebraska," he said. "My second thought was this style of offense does not fit Nebraska. It was just not how they were born or what they believed in. It was very obvious to see something was wrong, but I still thought it could be fixed because it's Nebraska. And now, look at where they are ... right back in the fight ... everybody better get ready. Nebraska's back to the old Tom Osborne, Bob Devaney type of football - the kind of football Nebraskans know best and love most."

The defense has been fixed, the offense is seeking a new identity and the leadership has been stabilized.

Thought this part was really interesting. chuckleshuffle

When I was younger, I hated Florida State because we lost to them in the first National Title game I got to watch. But the past 10 years, and hearing how much Bowden respected Nebraska and Osborne really made me think. Then when I heard all the stories on how Bowden helped us out, made my change my tune on them all together.

We owe some credit to Bowden, for making suggestions onto getting more defensive speed. Once we established that, we became more competitive and went on our run in the 90's. At least I'm pretty sure this is true, can't remember where I read it though.

Also, hearing from him, that Nebraska is playing physical, and that every time you play Nebraska you will have to bring your lunch pale to a full days of work, that speaks volumes, because we all know how bad it was and how everyone knew that it wasn't "Nebraska". Much respect to Florida State and Bobby Bowden after all the stories I've heard and read.

This program is in the right hands, and finally, everyone is starting to notice again for the better.

--Correction--

It was stated in the link there about meeting with Bowden's staff after a season one time. I didn't read the link until I posted, but I read it somewhere else as well. I know a lot of coaches meet with each other as well and give some advice and tips, good sportsmanship to see.