The Official "What Are You Playing Now?" Thread

• 3 weeks later...

On 3/9/2018 at 11:15 PM, Clifford Franklin said:

You guise, I came this close to buying a Switch I don't have time to play today. :madash

Should have bought one yesterday off eBay with their 15% off coupon. Folks were getting a new Switch for ~$245. 

And with the Switch, you'll find time to take it with you and play. It's an ingenious piece of kit, and the fact that we're seeing ports of AAA titles (e.g. Doom, Skyrim, Diablo 3...Overwatch?) coming to it speaks volumes about its future. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I mainly play WoW still because it's cooperative and the only mature gamer friend I have will only play it.  I got access to the beta for the next xpac but haven't finished leveling.  I think Legion was really good but, as always, balance between classes is non-existent.  It's funny how I mostly am just trying to get new legendary items now a la Diablo 3 (which doesn't really encourage cooperative play in my experience).

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, Nier: Automata, Horizon Zero Dawn, and FFXII: The Zodiac Age are all titles I halfway intend to play but my PS4 mainly gets used when I have to work out inside on the elliptical/exercise bike.

On 3/9/2018 at 11:15 PM, Clifford Franklin said:

You guise, I came this close to buying a Switch I don't have time to play today. :madash

You say that, but everybody I know who has purchased one (particularly a lot of married dads) LOVES the Switch for its portability. Its reinvigorated some of their gaming interests because they can use it virtually anywhere, particularly those that find themselves on planes regularly.

On 6/2/2018 at 7:30 PM, Clifford Franklin said:

@VectorVictor @Cdog923 @Enhance

Sounds like it should still be on my list. Can you fellas recommend some games that should be on my list? I haven't paid too much attention to its library of offerings so all I know for sure so far is BOTW, Odyssey & the new Smash Bros game.

I have these games: 

- Breath of the Wild: a must-have. Incredible game

- Mario Odyssey: fantastic Mario game. 

- Mario + Rabbids: it's basically XCOM with Mario characters. Surprisingly, it works pretty well. 

- Splatoon 2: a third person competitive shooter. Good fun with quite a bit of depth. 

- Stardew Valley: Harvest Moon with a pinch of old-school, top down Zelda. 

- Sonic Mania: If you enjoyed the old school, sidescrolling Sonic games, get this.

Aside from those, Mario Kart is always a good choice. Smash Bros. may be coming later this year. Metroid Prime 4 is coming, as well. 

On 6/3/2018 at 7:40 PM, Cdog923 said:

I have these games: 

- Breath of the Wild: a must-have. Incredible game

- Mario Odyssey: fantastic Mario game. 

- Mario + Rabbids: it's basically XCOM with Mario characters. Surprisingly, it works pretty well. 

- Splatoon 2: a third person competitive shooter. Good fun with quite a bit of depth. 

- Stardew Valley: Harvest Moon with a pinch of old-school, top down Zelda. 

- Sonic Mania: If you enjoyed the old school, sidescrolling Sonic games, get this.

Aside from those, Mario Kart is always a good choice. Smash Bros. may be coming later this year. Metroid Prime 4 is coming, as well. 

Smash Bros. is already confirmed for this year for the Switch—we just don’t know if it’s a port of the WiiU version, a new version, or an amalgam of the two. We’ll find out at E3 though.

Also sounds like there’s another racing game a la Diddy Kong Racing using the Starfox characters. Why the f*** Nintendo can’t just give us a new Starfox (or F-Zero for that matter) is beyond me.

As for titles to get for the Switch:

Zelda: BotW

Mario Odyssey

Mario + Rabbids (strategy game using XCom engine...which suggests we may get an XCom 2 port)

Bayonetta 2 (and you get the original via digital download if you buy physical copy)

Skyrim (if you haven’t played it or you’re a junkie that relishes playing it on the go)

Mario Kart

Stardew Valley (excellent homage to Harvest Moon that supersedes the original in every way)

Sonic Mania (THE best Sonic game since the 2-D levels of Generations or Sonic 3)

Rocket League

Pokken Tournament/ARMS (both are good fighters)

Splatoon 2 (Salmon Run co-op is a blast)

• Plus1 2

17 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Smash Bros. is already confirmed for this year for the Switch—we just don’t know if it’s a port of the WiiU version, a new version, or an amalgam of the two. We’ll find out at E3 though.

Also sounds like there’s another racing game a la Diddy Kong Racing using the Starfox characters. Why the f*** Nintendo can’t just give us a new Starfox (or F-Zero for that matter) is beyond me.

As for titles to get for the Switch:

Zelda: BotW

Mario Odyssey

Mario + Rabbids (strategy game using XCom engine...which suggests we may get an XCom 2 port)

Bayonetta 2 (and you get the original via digital download if you buy physical copy)

Skyrim (if you haven’t played it or you’re a junkie that relishes playing it on the go)

Mario Kart

Stardew Valley (excellent homage to Harvest Moon that supersedes the original in every way)

Sonic Mania (THE best Sonic game since the 2-D levels of Generations or Sonic 3)

Rocket League

Pokken Tournament/ARMS (both are good fighters)

Splatoon 2 (Salmon Run co-op is a blast)

I'd throw my wallet at Nintendo for a proper Star Fox sequel. Also, I complete agree with your takes on Stardew Valley and Sonic Mania; the only game with more playtime than SV on my Switch is BotW, and Sonic Mania is by far my favorite Sonic game since S3&K. Both of those titles are getting DLC this summer, with multiplayer coming to SV. 

Also, there's a ton of rumors out there that Fortnite will be announced at E3 next week, along with a few other ports. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2018 at 4:01 PM, Cdog923 said:

I bought Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition for my Switch this weekend, and it's leaps and bounds better, in terms of updates and QoL, than the original. 

Picked that up for my kid as a graduation gift. Hella fun, but shallow (like most of the entries in that genre are). 

Gonna go pick up the Splatoon 2 DLC here this week, I think. Should be good. 

• Plus1 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Getting back into World of Warcraft for the new expansion. I've done this for the past 4 expansions (Cataclysm, Pandas, Warlords, Legion): Get it, play it obsessively for a month, get bored, quit. Wait for next expansion. Repeat. I don't learn my lesson because the nastalgia's too strong and I still have a couple friends who play it.

• Plus1 1