New Coach

I suggest that after Anderson falters again next year we look at Will Bolt as out next head coach! I know he is young but he apparently has what it takes!

The guy took over a pretty successful program at Texarkana, and :gasp: has managed to maintain that success, and before anybody says Anderson did for a while as well, Bolt hired his own staff from the get-go and did not have a crutch like Rob Childress to carry him through his first (and so far only) 3 seasons. I'd take Will Bolt in a heartbeat.

http://www.texarkanacollege.edu/athletics/baseball/coaches.php

I suggest that after Anderson falters again next year we look at Will Bolt as out next head coach! I know he is young but he apparently has what it takes!

The guy took over a pretty successful program at Texarkana, and :gasp: has managed to maintain that success, and before anybody says Anderson did for a while as well, Bolt hired his own staff from the get-go and did not have a crutch like Rob Childress to carry him through his first (and so far only) 3 seasons. I'd take Will Bolt in a heartbeat.

http://www.texarkanacollege.edu/athletics/baseball/coaches.php

Anyone that has paid any attention to Nebraska baseball whatsoever (a'hem, not TO) would know that Anderson inherited a boatload of talent. Once those Van Horn recruits were gone, with Childress soon to follow...well, now you know...the rest of the story.

• Fire 1

Anyone that has paid any attention to Nebraska baseball whatsoever (a'hem, not TO) would know that Anderson inherited a boatload of talent. Once those Van Horn recruits were gone, with Childress soon to follow...well, now you know...the rest of the story.

So in other words Anderson is like another Callahan.....both can recruit top players but can't develope them

So in other words Anderson is like another Callahan.....both can recruit top players but can't develope them

I actually was going to use that as an analogy, but decided to omit it. I chose not to compare it to anything Nebraska football-related. But in short, yes...exactly like that, in my opinion.

Uh oh guys, it's our fault :facepalm:

Where was the swirling negativism in 2004 that flushed that season down the toilet? Where was the vitriol at the end of '06 and '08, when the team collapsed when it counted most after highly successful regular season runs? I was very optimistic at the start of '09, this year I thought the team would make a regional. Most people I knew felt roughly the same. This is getting stupider by the day.

It's a long shot, but Brian O'Connor needs to at least be looked at. Yes, he is the current head coach of the #1 ranked team in college baseball, but he was raised in the Omaha area, pitched for Creighton, and apparently is in love with our program. I have no idea if he would actually accept the job here, but I've heard from some people that he would probably at least listen closely.

It's a long shot, but Brian O'Connor needs to at least be looked at. Yes, he is the current head coach of the #1 ranked team in college baseball, but he was raised in the Omaha area, pitched for Creighton, and apparently is in love with our program. I have no idea if he would actually accept the job here, but I've heard from some people that he would probably at least listen closely.

I hope so, it seems like after losing Van Horn and Childress to that type of situation, the powers that be owe us a coach who wants to come back to his homestate.

See I don't think conference affiliation will matter that much, provided that other conferences merge into the superconferences as rumored (who knows.) So long as Nebraska schedules a good non-conference slate, they should be able to dominate the Big 10 and they'll be right there in the postseason anyway. Using the conference as an excuse to keep a lousy head coach or not pursue a better one is unnecessarily defeatist, IMO. NU still has a lot of things going for it (great facilities/stadium, fan support so long as you're not blowing smoke and/or excuses about the draft up our butt). And really, the Big 10 has much better media exposure via the Big 10 network. Good luck finding a Big 12 baseball game outside of NET's (usually tape delayed) broadcasts on CBS College Sports.

Except for the fact that the MLB draft actually is a legit factor in the success of a program. This years class is the 1st time in a few years where we haven't been absolutely destroyed by it, it takes awhile for that talent to develop.... but that's another story.

And this ISN'T football we are talking about, it's baseball. It's a southern sport. When we get away from the playing in the south it severely cuts into any chance we have with those kids, and there isn't the talent pool up north like there is in the south for baseball, even though there is a solid amount of talent in the north for football. Therefore, it really DOES make a difference. Now, I'm not using that as an excuse to keep a mediocre coach or to not pursue a better coach. Go after O'Connor, do whatever you can to get the guy here, he's a great talent. However, I still stick by my statement that he is a pipe dream. I don't see how we can get him here now. Maybe he really wants to get back home, that'd be great. However, he didn't go to school at NU, he went to Creighton, so it's not like he'd be coming back for his alma mater like Van Horn left NU for. And FSN does carry baseball games, just not nationally, usually only regionally. College baseball in general is gaining airtime, but not where it should be IMO.

Don't forget that JuCo's can offer 24-25 scholarships for their baseball programs. If MLB is getting "all the good players", what about the JuCo route? If a player understands he could use 1-2 more years of development and then try again, the JuCo route is logical. He can get into the draft in at least 2 years, if not 1. But if he goes the 4-year-route, he's relatively stuck for 3 seasons of "development".

If he's a near-tops prospect, I'm sure JuCo makes all the sense for him AND for the Pros who want to keep an eye on his progress.

I have a feeling that's a fairly significant siphon for 4-year-college talent, too.

I've noticed maybe 2 games televised on FSN this year. The Big 12 tv deal across all sports sucks.

Did you ever stop and wonder why, say, Zach Herr would want to sign a contract despite being a really late pick? Answer: to flee Anderson's iron fist. It's not enough to just say the draft destroyed us, how about looking at why everybody wanted to leave? Why is it that David Stewart and Jed Hanson transferred despite showing great potential in the few opportunities that Anderson gave them? Oh I suppose after yesterday's wild pitch-fest, I'm dreaming if I think having another catcher around might have helped. And of course we won't need a new right fielder in 2011, so Stewart's no great loss, right? What happens when Mariot, Yost, Ryan Hughes and a number of other players sign contracts this year? Do we reboot the draft excuse? This isn't football where freshmen and sophomores have to hit the weight room and gain 50 pounds. Many teams are playing with just as much, or more, younger players, and that's just in the top 25. Nebraska had as much senior experience in Bailey, Belfonte, Farst and Bubak to go with pretty good juniors on the pitching staff. I imagine we're looking at moderate improvement next season at best, and the best we can do is claim that we're a northern school and thus can't compete :wacko: