PSU Fan hopes Nebraska jumps ship

Hey werpsu, I have to say when all of this talk began my buddy and I were talking about who we would could most likely see as our "big game" every year. I don't like just labeling somebody a rival because I believe they have to develop, but you can surely identify "big games" that could someday develop that rivalry tag.

We said, and maybe it is a little arrogant, that it would have to be an upper-echelon team as we feel the tradition we have as a program is on par with anybody. Michigan has Ohio State and vice-versa so both of those were out immediately. Really, Penn State is the only other school on par with Nebraska in prestige and tradition. We had mentioned Wisconsin, but they haven't broken that National Championship barrier yet. We both decided on Penn State and the history of "The Non-Catch" in 1982 and the 1994 season could help build a little healthy "want-to" when it comes to beating the other every year.

Anyway, welcome to the board kind sir. I don't think you will get too much negative commentary from Husker fans on this board as I believe most truly respect Penn State.

I really think that it makes a difference if you play a team EVERY year or not. If Nebraska goes to the B10 and plays Penn STate every two years, then I don't think that PSU would be Husker's #1 rival in the B10. I would wager that the powers-that-be would align Iowa with Nebraska on a yearly basis...just a guess...but I think that the Hawkeyes, because of close proximity and annual contests, would be THE rival. I would lump Michigan, Penn State, and Ohio State as rivals, too - but not to the same extent as Iowa. I mean any game between any of those teams and Nebraska would be huge and garner national attention. But like it not, it's the teams that you play year-in and year-out that matter the most. Just my opinion.

we know proximity issue with any rivalry, but the poll is who we want. Iowa isn't really a rival I want. Also, I don't believe that iowa has broke the national title barrier. Just because one of the national championship honories names you champion doesn't make you champion. It is just a writers group. Did they even get a trophy? Whatever. The point was who do we want. We already have the history with PSU. Plus, they usually have a good team.

By the way I live on the border of iowa, work with iowa fans, and have some friends who are iowa fans. This is why i just don't care about them(or there one "national title" :dunno .)

Pennsylvania really isn't that much further away than Texas...just saying

Happy Valley is almost 400 miles further than Austin. It takes over 6 hours longer to drive because the speed limits in states to the East absolutely blow. Plus, where would you rather road trip in November: Happy Valley, PA or Austin, TX? I know I'd much rather bask in the sun in Texas rather than freeze my nuts off in Pennsylvania.

Happy Valley is almost 400 miles further than Austin. It takes over 6 hours longer to drive because the speed limits in states to the East absolutely blow. Plus, where would you rather road trip in November: Happy Valley, PA or Austin, TX? I know I'd much rather bask in the sun in Texas rather than freeze my nuts off in Pennsylvania.

HAHAHA. Yea well I guess that's ture. Yes Texas is warmer then Pennsylvania, but most often the temps during the fall are pleasent and are pretty comparable to the temps in Nebraska.

For the Glory.

Glad to have you here werpsu. I'd love to see Nebraska playing PSU every year. Both schools have proud traditions and have/had legendary coaches. Both have great winning traditions and classic traditional uniforms. Both schools emphasize defense. Both have intensely loyal fan bases. Both have WAY above average game day experiences.

Two things I particularly like about PSU:

1. JoePa. What a treasure for your school and fans. How can you not love Paterno when he does things like this?

2. Your uniforms are beautiful. Don't you ever change them.

tonyhuntjerz.jpg

Hope we both get to see this matchup.

Thanks. We do love our uniforms. And like Nebraska, value tradition more than most schools.

HAHAHA. Yea well I guess that's ture. Yes Texas is warmer then Pennsylvania, but most often the temps during the fall are pleasent and are pretty comparable to the temps in Nebraska.

For the Glory.

I have been to a game in Nebraska where the snow plows had to remove snow every quarter because it was snowing so hard that no one could see the yard markers or field. I've never heard of this kind of weather in Austin, TX. However, I have been to Pennsylvania and witnessed similar weather nearly getting stranded there because of snow. All jokes aside, if I have to travel over 1000 miles to go to a game I'd prefer we joined the Pac 10 where at least the weather is nice. Recruiting alone, the West Coast is much better than the Rustbelt. I'd venture to guess if we join the Big 10 that Nebraska and Penn State probably wouldn't play one another any more than once every 2-4 years.

For the Glory.

I have been to a game in Nebraska where the snow plows had to remove snow every quarter because it was snowing so hard that no one could see the yard markers or field. I've never heard of this kind of weather in Austin, TX. However, I have been to Pennsylvania and witnessed similar weather nearly getting stranded there because of snow. All jokes aside, if I have to travel over 1000 miles to go to a game I'd prefer we joined the Pac 10 where at least the weather is nice. Recruiting alone, the West Coast is much better than the Rustbelt. I'd venture to guess if we join the Big 10 that Nebraska and Penn State probably wouldn't play one another any more than once every 2-4 years.

Junior Junior Junior where is the love? You keep comming across as a bitter man "All jokes aside" do you keep a pic of obama above your bed?

I don't mean to sound bitter. Rather, I'm just pointing out the obvious. If we make the move from the Big 12 to the Big 10, as fans we're giving up both weather and shorter travel distances. If Texas and A&M join the SEC, I'd say our pickings in terms of recruits from Texas wave bye bye to us. While we may have more coin in our pocket, I believe our football will suffer tremendously if we join the Big 10. I can't speak for the rest of the Big 12 or even for the rest of Nebraska for that matter, but in my small corner of the state Big 10 football is considered a joke. Big 10 football is often times compared to the Big East.

For the Glory.

Junior Junior Junior where is the love? You keep comming across as a bitter man "All jokes aside" do you keep a pic of obama above your bed?

why do you keep bringing politics into this?

I don't mean to sound bitter. Rather, I'm just pointing out the obvious. If we make the move from the Big 12 to the Big 10, as fans we're giving up both weather and shorter travel distances. If Texas and A&M join the SEC, I'd say our pickings in terms of recruits from Texas wave bye bye to us. While we may have more coin in our pocket, I believe our football will suffer tremendously if we join the Big 10. I can't speak for the rest of the Big 12 or even for the rest of Nebraska for that matter, but in my small corner of the state Big 10 football is considered a joke. Big 10 football is often times compared to the Big East.

Where do people get this concept from? The big 10 is right up there with the big 12 and pac 10 for the second spot even in the media. Any talk otherwise is simply opinion. The numbers speak for themselves.

http://www.frumpzilla.com/frumpzilla_site/articles/the-top-25-college-football-programs-of-the-decade/

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_team_has_the_best_winning_percentage_of_the_last_25_years_in_college_football

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2947988

All 3 point to articles that use "expert" opinions and numbers to figure a system of ranking teams. The second link is 25 year time frame. You'll see boise state in there due to their weak conference foes but the big 10 is a BCS conference and the teams of the big 10 hold their own out of conference. A win is a win. If anything our Bo Pelini coached teams should make us appreciate ugly wins...

Welcome to Huskerboard.com, we look forward to hearing your outside perspective on the Nebraska program and look forward to possibly facing you in the future. I have respect for Penn State and would love for us to play every year. I hate Iowa with a passion that I can't describe because I have to live with the arrogant *****! They've done nothing and they think they are the best team in the world and everyone should bow down to them. It's annoying................

I tend to agree with Junior although I'm the eternal optimist. I see it all as a big gamble. Sure there is a pot of money to chase after, but I don't go to Huskers games to watch money. And I don't think that Texas kids - or recruits from any of the other southern states for that matter, are going to get too excited about playing all of these teams a thousand miles away from family and in the cold. If that wasn't an issue then all of the other Big 10 teams would be getting quality recruits from the south and they do not. None of them. What would make us any different?

And I don't think we have to abandon the Big 12 because of Texas. Just let Texas be Texas. Let Nebraska be Nebraska. I don't want Texas - and what they are and are not going to do - to dictate all of these other quality rivalries that we have enjoyed for darn near a century.

Do I have a beef with Texas? Yes, but to let them dictate what conference we might go join, leave, etc., is the ultimate irony.

The Big 12 would survive as a BCS conference without Texas, and without Nebraska for that matter. Maybe not both leaving, but I think the Big East is proof that you can plug in some really marginal programs (Louisville, etc.) and still have a BCS conference.

Let's just stay with the date that we've got. At least we know how she dances.

The Big 10 thing might work out fine, or it might work out really ugly, and the trouble is, you can't really shift out of a deal like that if things go south and you wake up and find you can't be competitive.

One more thought: The "anchoring" of a championship game is the norm. Don't think for a second that when the Big 10 puts on their championship, that it would ever be within 500 miles of the state of Nebraska - it will not. Nothing's changing in that regard - only the location of the game.