WR Stanley Jean-Baptiste

... yes he graduated in 2009 in North Carolina, he was being heavily recruited by some of the major SEC schools but then they backed off because he had grade issues... he ended up qualifying at the last minute but by then most recruiters had backed off so he never got any offers... he decided to go to Fort Scott to try and get better, get more exposure and then get back in with the SEC schools... so he went a year, redshirted, and then was planning on playing this year as a RsFr at Ft. Scott and then trying to get on board with an SEC school next year (he's improved his 40 time 4.59 to 4.45, put on weight 194 to 203, and gotten his grades higher)... but Nebraska approached him and said that since he is qualified already and has proven himself,... he could come play for us if he wanted to come play this year... where most schools were looking at him for next year... so instead of waiting another year at Ft. Scott and hoping an SEC school offers him to play 3 years... he's opted to come to NU in July and play 4 years, beginning this fall. (we had an empty scholarship available, but i'm not sure if he will count for 2010 or 2011).

IF he is as talented as suspected... there's a good chance he could come in as a back up in the fall and then start next year in Niles place after Niles graduates... He is DEFINITELY needed at NU and his commitment eases my concern at the WR position... with Paul, Kinnie, Enunwa, and Jean-Baptiste, we should have some great talent at WR over the next couple of years... not to mention all the guys like k. Cooper, k. Bell, Gillyean, a. Bell, w. Henry, etc. who could break out at any moment... oh yeah and the WR that will come in 2011 that haven't committed yet...

oh yeah the news is getting super good today.... i am really stoked about this guy and coming in with a 4X4 potential.... he could who knows really push some of these guys and perhaps even make an immidiate mix... plus the FSCC guys i'm sure will make the transition easier... big thanks to their coach... in my loss of blood to my head i forget his name.......

oh yeah the news is getting super good today.... i am really stoked about this guy and coming in with a 4X4 potential.... he could who knows really push some of these guys and perhaps even make an immidiate mix... plus the FSCC guys i'm sure will make the transition easier... big thanks to their coach... in my loss of blood to my head i forget his name.......

:lol:

Jeff Sims

So if he is coming in July, is he still counted as part of the 2011 class? How does that work?

I believe 2010

yes, he'd be part of the 2010 class. this is great news, but i wouldn't expect a ton out of him as a freshman, no matter how talented he is. this offense just doesn't lend itself to first year receivers. perhaps by late in the year he can work his way into the rotation.

in any case, another great recruit.

nice to see a WR in the mix..... i can understand why we aren't WR-U but you'd think some guys would like to come on over and be legends... its not like we haven't thrown the ball when we've had the talent around (by the way how does that make our WRs feel now knowing that the OC has changed some our Offensive stratigy because basicly they suck.... :facepalm: exceot for you Niles :corndance and maybe you Kinnie)

Unless there is reason to believe that the offensive line wasn't giving adequate time or passing lanes to a QB that was already playing at a high level, then an improved offensive line isn't likely to make an impact on QB play. There are times, especially with quarterbacks that don't move around in the pocket well or whom don't throw outside the hashes well, when an offensive line giving up 2 seconds or less will have a direct impact on QB play. However, contrary to traditional thinking, many stats often attributed to lineman in that regard have a far better correlation with the QB himself. Sacks are the most common statistic in that regard. Even when QBs change teams, their sack rate tends to hold rather steady. Traditionally we place the blame on the offensive lineman for a sack, when in actuality the QB controls most of the factors that would lead to a sack.

If a QB showed high aptitude when given time, then the improvement of the offensive line would allow him to showcase that more consistently. However, most of our QB issues are independent of the offensive line. Our QBs are slow in the pocket. Their drops are too slow, their reads are too slow, and they tend to hold onto the ball too long (talking specifically Cody and Zac......Martinez has his own issues). I know a lot of people have changed opinion on Zac since the injury revelation, but I'm not one of them. My notes from the Florida Atlantic game are full of things that Zac really didn't do well. His stats look good because of the level of competition. The passing windows were huge and he often had 4 receivers open. He missed the proper window more times than not, often throwing players into zones and out of bounds. It is a classic example showcasing that completion percentage does not equal passing accuracy. His completion percentage may have been high, but he was not putting the ball where it needed to be put, when it needed to be put there.

That said, I'm of the opinion that despite the injuries, Zac improved as a QB as the season went on. He still has a lot of work to do, however.

None of that means the offensive line doesn't need to improve, because they do in a huge way. Where we should see improvement there and indirectly help the QB is in areas like not committing fouls and in the running game. So, so often last year we were a block away in the running game. Often poor technique just killed us. For example, I can think of at least two personal foul calls last year that were a result of poor cut blocking. One was against OU (iirc) where an interior lineman was attempting to block a LB, whiffed, and his moment rolled him into a blocked defender. The other I can't recall the game at the moment, but a missed cut block caused an inadvertent leg whip on a defender. We use a lot of cut blocks in this offense, particular on backside zone blocks and our execution of those blocks really needs to improve. That's just one example, of many. The plays were often there, though, but the execution did not always follow.

More experience, a deeper, healthier unit, and dare I say a potentially more talented offensive line should indeed help the offense as a whole. I expect a big turnaround in this offense this year, not the least of which being what should be an improved offensive line. There's really no reason that this offense can't get back to the 425-450 yards per game level.

• Fire 1