OLB Keeon Virgile

Player: Keeon Virgile

Hometown: North Miami Beach, FL

School: North Miami Beach HS

Position: OLB

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 215

40 time: 4.6

Scholarships: Bowling Green, Florida Intl., Georgia, Kansas, Kansas St., Minnesota, Ole Miss, Nebraska, Purdue, South Florida, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Western Michigan

Rivals: :star :star :star

Scout: :star :star

ESPN: :star :star :star

• 3 months later...

^

His HS coach doesn't like recruits taking in-season visits.

That is unfortunate and rather selfish to be honest.

one could just as easily call the player selfish for taking a visit during the season. (if it interferes with games or practices)

But high school is high school. It's a stepping stone for your future - for all students. It's not a job and it's not permanent. Kids should be taking these opportunities to visit and I agree with EZ completely here. It is no different than any non-scholarship athlete that takes some time off of high school to visit colleges, or misses multiple days of college to visit graduate schools. The coach IMO should be giving his kids as many opportunities as possible, not restricting them in any way. But of course, I don't know the precise circumstances. He may have his reasons.

^

one could just as easily call the player selfish for taking a visit during the season. (if it interferes with games or practices)

But high school is high school. It's a stepping stone for your future - for all students. It's not a job and it's not permanent. Kids should be taking these opportunities to visit and I agree with EZ completely here. It is no different than any non-scholarship athlete that takes some time off of high school to visit colleges, or misses multiple days of college to visit graduate schools. The coach IMO should be giving his kids as many opportunities as possible, not restricting them in any way. But of course, I don't know the precise circumstances. He may have his reasons.

yet , the only person with an actual job here is the coach himself. i agree completely that it is a coaches job to promote your kids as much as possible for future possibilities, but he's the only person who can get fired here. I'm willing to bet that 99% of high school coaches frown upon their student athletes missing school and practice for personal school visits that could be made when school is not in session. A suspension (one game or one half) in the kids next game would be completely justified in my opinion, if the kid misses enough time. It should all be the coaches personal choice depending on the circumstances.

^

yet , the only person with an actual job here is the coach himself. i agree completely that it is a coaches job to promote your kids as much as possible for future possibilities, but he's the only person who can get fired here. I'm willing to bet that 99% of high school coaches frown upon their student athletes missing school and practice for personal school visits that could be made when school is not in session. A suspension (one game or one half) in the kids next game would be completely justified in my opinion, if the kid misses enough time. It should all be the coaches personal choice depending on the circumstances.

...so, if I understand you correctly - you agree that it is the coach being selfish, because he's the one with his job on the line worrying about #1.

• Fire 1

^

...so, if I understand you correctly - you agree that it is the coach being selfish, because he's the one with his job on the line worrying about #1.

When you look at how a lot of official visits are structured, the kids don't miss any games or practices. They either catch a red eye late that Friday night, or they catch an early morning flight. They then fly home that Sunday afternoon. So they miss no games or even practices.

^

When you look at how a lot of official visits are structured, the kids don't miss any games or practices. They either catch a red eye late that Friday night, or they catch an early morning flight. They then fly home that Sunday afternoon. So they miss no games or even practices.

Unless of course they visit Michigan. RichRod makes them stay and practice until Tuesday.