Nebraska Games on TV Today

I have no memory of this 2006 KU game. I took the afternoon off just to watch it, so I'm here at home with the game on DVR so I can skip commercials. Some thoughts after the first quarter:

When we were "on" with the WCO, we were good. Zac Taylor has a LOT to do with that, of course, but the offense worked well. Lots of misdirection, lots of trickeration. The Jayhawks were a decent defense and on a couple of plays they were quite confused. It's great seeing Zac again. Love that guy.

Brandon Jackson was a STUD. I forget how good that guy was. He just bulled through some schmuck DB who tried to tackle him.

Andrew Shanle had two picks in the first five minutes of this game. He almost scored on the second pick.

First quarter is in the books, and we're up 17-0. I keep scratching my head wondering, "How did we need overtime in this game?!?!?"

Wait, I think I just saw the reason on the sidelines. Don't want to give it away, but his initials are KC.

I remember watching the game too. I thought man we are gonna roll through them. Then Kansas adjusted and Nebraska didnt, but that was the norm during the callahan.

Just finished the second quarter. We got jobbed, big time, on that backwards pass just before half. Their QB threw it backwards, clearly, and they ruled it incomplete, and it's not reviewable. That's a TD and it's 31-7 going in to halftime. Instead, KU keeps the ball and with the field goal it's 24-10 Huskers.

You can tell exactly where Kansas got momentum in this game. They were on their own five yard line, Barmann was in the end zone, we rushed, and KU connected on a desperation 40-yard strike between two defenders. It was lucky, but it gave the Jayhawks confidence and you could see the defense deflate. They played at 3/4 speed after that.

Our DBs were terrible. Tierre Green and Courtney Grixby - love them both, but they would never have started in our heyday. Neither of these guys would have been anywhere near the top of the depth chart. Overall there was just too much running up into traffic and not enough solid play. We got run around a lot in that quarter.

Jon Cornish was a beast. All props to that guy.

FOX Sports sucks. They show us icing their kicker not once but twice, so we get to watch a couple of timeouts back-to-back, but they cut Nunn's brilliant punt return out of the rebroadcast. Who thinks that's good TV?

EDIT - forgot to mention how impressed, again, I am with Zac Taylor. If we had a defense and an O Line, that kid would have/should have gotten Heisman consideration. He was Tebow before Tebow was Tebow. Big, tough, accurate, and he took an absolute beating back there every game and got back up, every time.

Finished watching. Brutal, brutal second half. Miscues, slack play, missing defenders... the gamut. We're lucky to have won that game.

It's amazing to see how bad our secondary was, compared to how good it's going to be this year. I saved that recording, and I think I'll watch it again sometime around October, just to get a reminder of how bad it was.

Just finished the second quarter. We got jobbed, big time, on that backwards pass just before half. Their QB threw it backwards, clearly, and they ruled it incomplete, and it's not reviewable. That's a TD and it's 31-7 going in to halftime. Instead, KU keeps the ball and with the field goal it's 24-10 Huskers.

You can tell exactly where Kansas got momentum in this game. They were on their own five yard line, Barmann was in the end zone, we rushed, and KU connected on a desperation 40-yard strike between two defenders. It was lucky, but it gave the Jayhawks confidence and you could see the defense deflate. They played at 3/4 speed after that.

Our DBs were terrible. Tierre Green and Courtney Grixby - love them both, but they would never have started in our heyday. Neither of these guys would have been anywhere near the top of the depth chart. Overall there was just too much running up into traffic and not enough solid play. We got run around a lot in that quarter.

Jon Cornish was a beast. All props to that guy.

FOX Sports sucks. They show us icing their kicker not once but twice, so we get to watch a couple of timeouts back-to-back, but they cut Nunn's brilliant punt return out of the rebroadcast. Who thinks that's good TV?

EDIT - forgot to mention how impressed, again, I am with Zac Taylor. If we had a defense and an O Line, that kid would have/should have gotten Heisman consideration. He was Tebow before Tebow was Tebow. Big, tough, accurate, and he took an absolute beating back there every game and got back up, every time.

2. I really think Grixby was a solid corner, and played like it to an extent in '07, but just got manhandled in '06 having to go up against guys over half a foot taller and probably 30+ lbs. heavier. If he would have been able to play with a capable teammate for the big bodies receivers, and had good tutelage, he would have been all Big XII. Just my opinion.

3. Again, love Zac Taylor. Really, really, really miss watching that guy play. Such a high character individual as well.

Edit: The bomb to Hardy where Taylor was rolling out right, c$%ks his arm back and just throws it as hard as possible whilst falling out of bounds is one of my top 10 favorite Husker plays. Don't know why, I just really love that play.

Watched that '05 game with the Tigers and I was thinking man, we actually had some good talent on that defense! Carriker, LeKevin Smith, McKeon, Bullocks bros, Bowman, Jay Moore, etc. Just imagine if they had the Pelini Bros coaching them instead of that certain DC who had no clue.

Watched that '05 game with the Tigers and I was thinking man, we actually had some good talent on that defense! Carriker, LeKevin Smith, McKeon, Bullocks bros, Bowman, Jay Moore, etc. Just imagine if they had the Pelini Bros coaching them instead of that certain DC who had no clue.

Our defense in '05 was actually half way decent. Personally, I think it was just the talent that was on their thats way they were somewhat decent. It still baffles my mind how terrible it got from 2005 to 2007.

Our defense in '05 was actually half way decent. Personally, I think it was just the talent that was on their thats way they were somewhat decent. It still baffles my mind how terrible it got from 2005 to 2007.

I would say the '06 defense was significantly better. Never gave up a TON of points to anyone, and only gave up 28, 21 and 17 points to the three best teams we played all year (USC, Oklahoma, and Auburn, respectively). It was still mediocre, but that defense stepped up pretty well in big games.

yeah man cosgrove is a beast! hes gonna build those minnesota golden gophers into a championship caliber defense with all those beast1 and 2 star recruits!

Can't wait for the reunion of the historic Watson-Cosgrove battles just like we used to have every spring!

I remember the KU game, it was on my birthday and my parents and I went out to eat. It was like 24-7 or something when we went in and when we got back out to the car, they were in overtime. I was like really we were dominating them, and we went to OT. Of course that was a typical Callahan game, do well in the first half and completely fall apart in the second.

oh i learned my lesson. But its sorta pick your poison. Whole lotta hate for MU on U.S.C. Sometimes their show is pretty good and sometimes I find myself wanting to strangle Mike'l. He spews nearly as much BS as Justice used too. If he wasnt in a bully position by controlling the phone lines I would love to have a debate with him. I used to do sports radio, and am a pretty big fan, so when he throws out his random hate crap that he could never back up, i would nail his *** to the wall with it. :lol:

Well to be fair, it is a Nebraska-based station. Of course some hate is going to be spit toward a team that literally falsely blames players for spitting into their face. Sorry, but Chase Daniel is the biggest d-bag to ever put on a football uniform. And as much as a respect you, which I really do, your fanbase isn't one to have much pride in.

• Fire 1