Anyone have a tempur pedic bed?

Love it! Love it! Love it! (Although I never thought I'd give up our waterbed!) We also got the pillows too. The smell goes away fairly quickly, because I don't notice it at all. My husband has back issues and that's the main reason we got it. He seems to think it's helping.

What kind of issues?

He's had back surgery. Herniated discs, and now some spinal stenosis. Supposedly an old football injury initiated the whole thing, but about 5 years ago he spent almost 5 weeks laying on the living room floor. Finally got him to agree to go to Pittsburgh. (He was able to have one of the Steelers' team surgeons do the work.)

I like my bed solid like a rock and my wife likes to sleep hammock style so the sleep number was perfect and you don't have to drag the bed around on your car because it's made of a plastic frame with two big blow up sections. It all breaks down into nothing....plus there's that warranty. But anyway I do know people that replace their mattresses very often and I'm one of them. The bed starts to get soft and worn and I wake up dozens of times throughout the night. Since I got the sleep number I wake up a handful at most. I'm not exaggerating. For me it was an amazing investment but to each his own.

If ou still wake up several times a night you may want to get tested for sleep apnea, ask your wife if you snore a lot, its a symptom.

T_O_B

He's had back surgery. Herniated discs, and now some spinal stenosis. Supposedly an old football injury initiated the whole thing, but about 5 years ago he spent almost 5 weeks laying on the living room floor. Finally got him to agree to go to Pittsburgh. (He was able to have one of the Steelers' team surgeons do the work.)

How have things been after all this? (the surgery that is)

I like my bed solid like a rock and my wife likes to sleep hammock style so the sleep number was perfect and you don't have to drag the bed around on your car because it's made of a plastic frame with two big blow up sections. It all breaks down into nothing....plus there's that warranty. But anyway I do know people that replace their mattresses very often and I'm one of them. The bed starts to get soft and worn and I wake up dozens of times throughout the night. Since I got the sleep number I wake up a handful at most. I'm not exaggerating. For me it was an amazing investment but to each his own.

If ou still wake up several times a night you may want to get tested for sleep apnea, ask your wife if you snore a lot, its a symptom.

T_O_B

Nah nothing to do with sleep apnea. I have no troubles sleeping now. It's just if anything my cortisol levels were too high and so my mind was very alert to the slightest disturbances. The bed keeps me comfortable and I don't wake up to change positions very often. I have made adjustments to my diet as well so I wake up even less and have very refreshing sleep.

Nah nothing to do with sleep apnea. I have no troubles sleeping now. It's just if anything my cortisol levels were too high and so my mind was very alert to the slightest disturbances. The bed keeps me comfortable and I don't wake up to change positions very often. I have made adjustments to my diet as well so I wake up even less and have very refreshing sleep.

What dietary changes have you made? Aside from the obvious (caffeine) the only other thing I eat that I know keeps me awake is garlic. A garlic-heavy meal can keep me awake all night, no joke.

I have bad insomnia, and I'm always looking for ways to overcome it. I have two different prescription meds that I take to go to sleep, but I hate taking stuff like that.

Tempur-Pedic is the best bed ever! Yes, they do smell for a few weeks after "uncorking" but that's probably just poison gases, so leave your windows open (you may want to make your purchase after the summer heat!

But anyway, these beds are great and you'll get spoiled. I especially notice the nice "fit" when sleeping on my side because of the way it conforms to hips and shoulders.

We bought the matching Tempur-Pedic pillows too as a buy one for $50, get the second free deal, but decided that we don't like them so much for sleeping. They're good for proping yourself up and reading in bed or watching teevee, however.

Don't automatically go for the regular priced models of Tempur-Pedic. Figure out which firmness you like best. Shop around and there's one model that's about $500 cheaper than the rest and it turns out we thought that one was the right firmness. Now I hate to sleep anywhere else! We even had money left over to spend $300 or $400 on a nice headboard.

What dietary changes have you made? Aside from the obvious (caffeine) the only other thing I eat that I know keeps me awake is garlic. A garlic-heavy meal can keep me awake all night, no joke.

I have bad insomnia, and I'm always looking for ways to overcome it. I have two different prescription meds that I take to go to sleep, but I hate taking stuff like that.

Well it's not just what you eat. Your cortisol levels should be highest in the morning and lowest at night (obviously). Having consistent meal times each day affects that. Our bodies adapt to our patterns so consistency is key to keeping cortisol flowing at a consistent level rather than spiking. I don't know how accurate this is but it is said that cortisol levels are affected for up to 5 hours from eating (probably depends on what, how much, and your individual metabolism).

As for the diet the glycemic index of your foods are what you have to balance. Sugars and starches have the highest glycemic index and most of our grains/breads are heavy in starches. So ideally a vegetarian diet is best but who wants that. So you have to balance the high foods with low foods...animal protein (eggs, meats, dairy) oh and fiber! Unfortunately veggies/fruits and even high fiber (from lettuce, etc) is only middle ground on the glycemic index so animal protein will balance (2 extremes).

Uh...let's see how much I can remember (been awhile)...missing meals hurts cause it'll spike cortisol (body needs energy) and it's a breakfast high in sugar and bread (cereal, toast...) that jumps you off on the wrong foot. Stress...of course.

Time for a break... :hellloooo