Game Review
38NebraskavsNorthwestern17
October 18, 2014 | 6:30 PM | BTN
Game Preview
Nebraskavs.Rutgers
A warm welcome to our visiting Scarlet Knights fans!
October 25, 2014 | 11:00 AM | ESPN2
- - - - -

Why was Frank Solich fired?

• You cannot reply to this topic
87 replies to this topic

#1 DelK

Scout Team

• Members2
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:38 PM

What is the unvarnished, straight skinny on why Frank Solich was fired?

MOD Edit - corrected confusing thread title.

#2 huskers15

Scout Team

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:45 PM

Because Pedey had visions of grandeur

#3 NUance

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,486 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:58 PM

Fired? Solich quit to take a better job.

Ask a stupid question. Get a stupid answer.
Just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long, the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter, while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. But then the winter came. And the grasshopper died. And the octopus ate all his acorns. Also he got a race car. Is any of this getting through to you?

I donated for Childhood Apraxia.
Posted Image

#4 GMoose

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:08 PM

Because Pedey had visions delusions of grandeur

Fixed it for ya. :thumbs

#5 schuhbdoo

All American

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:55 PM

Solich was a medicore coach that wasn't a top recruiter. He was in over his head. 9 win seasons when he had 12 win talent. Unacceptable!!!!

#6 irafreak

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,083 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:24 PM

Solich was a medicore coach that wasn't a top recruiter. He was in over his head. 9 win seasons when he had 12 win talent. Unacceptable!!!!

Let us not forget that Solich was a first time head coach and that 99 squad did ok. But yeah TO chose him to keep things together and keep the staff in place but it was an impossible task in this day of football.
Disclaimer: Most of the time I mean nothing I say

#7 VA Husker Fan

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,049 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:29 PM

I really hate threads with vague titles that don't say anything what it's about ("This is important" was just as bad), and now that I've opened the thread, I hate it more. Go to Pitt and ask Pedersen. He's the only one who knows for sure.

#8 HuskerfaninOkieland

Legend

• Members
  • 14,440 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:51 PM

Yeah and we all know Pedey didn't want NU to slip into mediocrity
"hey guys this is apublic cervice announcrymny.

i came in kinda late and chose to watch aome tevlision. a someone left a box of htese chewy chips ahoy on thetable near the table near the television. i never had one before so i had a cookie now i did. i did ant realize that i was keept keating them. like i had no clue. it was all ofer shocked when i realized i had finished a holy sleeve. they snook up on me. htey are not even that tastya but they have a lat of calories and fats so it is hardly even wort it. anywa i hope this helps becuause i feel the real sh#t abot this.';

manhats"

Manhattan
15 Sept 2010
02:29 AM
Posted Image

#9 DelK

Scout Team

• Members2
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:06 PM

Yeah and we all know Pedey didn't want NU to slip into mediocrity

At one time, there was rumor of improprieties by Solich and a commentator in a piece recently wrote the dismissal was justified. There are often many angles, sides, and interpretations and re-interpretations for such events. Very interesting.

#10 kansas husker

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:33 AM

at times I wonder the same thing fire a coach after 9 wins, but the fact is we are better off for it. We were punished with 2 terrible season and 2 mediocre seasons. I always cheer for ohio as I'm still a Solich fan but weather letting him go was justified or not Bo is a much better coach and we are now reaping the rewards
Posted Image
sig made by miamihrrcns2001

#11 DelK

Scout Team

• Members2
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:02 AM

at times I wonder the same thing fire a coach after 9 wins, but the fact is we are better off for it. We were punished with 2 terrible season and 2 mediocre seasons. I always cheer for ohio as I'm still a Solich fan but weather letting him go was justified or not Bo is a much better coach and we are now reaping the rewards

Seems to me that's about as good a summary as I've come across. It is amazingly difficult to keep an excellent company, university, team, or business operating excellently. The Husker period SS (since Solich) is pretty strange but the ship seems to have been righted very, very well.

#12 Never Skerd'

Backup

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:06 PM

SS made the BCS National Title game, then was fired on a "mediocre" season which was a 9 win season- now you guys consider Bo the VERY VERY right way for posting- yes- a 9 win season. There could be significant psychological studies done about this SS case.

When you sleep I am awake
When you awake I work
When you work I go overtime
When you sit I stand
When you walk I run
When you run I fly
When you listen I speak
When you play I train
When you wish I do
When you hope I accomplish
When you avoid I confront
When you dream I perform
When I die you admire

Taylor-Magic

(from T's Facebook)

#13 kansas husker

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:14 PM

SS made the BCS National Title game, then was fired on a "mediocre" season which was a 9 win season- now you guys consider Bo the VERY VERY right way for posting- yes- a 9 win season. There could be significant psychological studies done about this SS case.

I understand your point, but Solich took over a team that had just one the national title. Bo took over a 5-7 team that was giving up 30 points a game. This is not a good comparison based on the starting points of the two coaches. Noone except SP said that 9 wins was mediocre, it was more the 7-7 season prior to that that did Solich in.
Posted Image
sig made by miamihrrcns2001

#14 knapplc

Legend

• Mods
  • 31,850 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:40 PM

I take it you're new to football. You could stand to bone up on what makes a program successful before commenting next time. You clearly have no clue what you're on about here.

clEdF.png

skin_fetch.jpg

#15 huskerswrkhavoc

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:59 PM

I take it you're new to football. You could stand to bone up on what makes a program successful before commenting next time. You clearly have no clue what you're on about here.

Whoa whoa whoa... Mod attacking poster, hello there!

While I agree that we are better off without Solich, he should not have been fired the year he was... He went to the MNC game, then followed up with a bad 7-7 year.. He wasn't fired there. He got rid of some of the bad coaches that needed to be gone. He brought in people that needed to be there (see Pelini on D) and the team rebounded wonderfully.. If you count the bowl game that team was 10-3, back on it's way up, not on its way down. Obviously this is a horse that has been beateederson.n over and over and over again, but he should NOT have been fired with the changes that he made to make the program better.. It was totally a my way move by pederson.. No way around it.
Posted Image

Signature courtesy of huskerjock

#16 irafreak

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,083 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:02 PM

Yeah Knapplc what's the problem? You have a beef Never Skerd or Frank Solich?
Disclaimer: Most of the time I mean nothing I say

#17 Street Novelist

The Bobfather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,860 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:07 PM

My word...Where the hell did that come from?

flag-pins-spain-portugal.jpg0102a2df-3217-4865-a822-17edf50a7ba0_zps

#18 HuskerfaninOkieland

Legend

• Members
  • 14,440 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:35 PM

Deep breaths knapp....deep breaths
"hey guys this is apublic cervice announcrymny.

i came in kinda late and chose to watch aome tevlision. a someone left a box of htese chewy chips ahoy on thetable near the table near the television. i never had one before so i had a cookie now i did. i did ant realize that i was keept keating them. like i had no clue. it was all ofer shocked when i realized i had finished a holy sleeve. they snook up on me. htey are not even that tastya but they have a lat of calories and fats so it is hardly even wort it. anywa i hope this helps becuause i feel the real sh#t abot this.';

manhats"

Manhattan
15 Sept 2010
02:29 AM
Posted Image

#19 Malth

Heisman Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:34 PM

The only reason Solich had 9 wins in his last year was because of Bo's defense. I don't know about you guys, but I remember seeing a crappy offense being propped up by a good defense.

I think firing Solich was probably the right move, but hiring Callahan was the worst decision ever.

#20 Count 'Bility

Legend

• Members
  • 11,731 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 29 August 2010 - 02:24 PM

Solich's first 3 seasons of success (4 if you count 2001, tho i consider that season the beginning of the end) were mostly due to the talent remaining from the Osborne era. 98 was a mediocre season due to youth, inexperience and some key injuries, new qb etc etc. Remember the 99 and 2000 recruiting classes were not particularly impressive and quite a downfall in the talent coming in. Many scholarships were used up on walk on caliber talent cuz Solich could not "seal the deal" with top notch talent. By the end of 2001 and into the 2002 season, this lack of talent adn depth began to rear it's ugly face. I think some of the older coaches were beginning to struggle with the lack of talent (darlington, bohl, etc.) and the time came for them to go. Solich made the necassary changes after 2002 and 2003 showed a re energized coaching staff and team. Tho 2002 was doomed fromt he get go with a very VERY young team, it meant the 03 shoulda been better. I believe under Solich that what was a veteran 04 team woulda been a top ten team all year long, however that team looked horrible under a new system. Bottome line is we'll never what woulda been under Solich to this day. With Pelini as D.C. i think we woulda been a top 10 team consistently.
Posted Image

#21 DelK

Scout Team

• Members2
  • 87 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 03:04 PM

Solich's first 3 seasons of success (4 if you count 2001, tho i consider that season the beginning of the end) were mostly due to the talent remaining from the Osborne era. 98 was a mediocre season due to youth, inexperience and some key injuries, new qb etc etc. Remember the 99 and 2000 recruiting classes were not particularly impressive and quite a downfall in the talent coming in. Many scholarships were used up on walk on caliber talent cuz Solich could not "seal the deal" with top notch talent. By the end of 2001 and into the 2002 season, this lack of talent adn depth began to rear it's ugly face. I think some of the older coaches were beginning to struggle with the lack of talent (darlington, bohl, etc.) and the time came for them to go. Solich made the necassary changes after 2002 and 2003 showed a re energized coaching staff and team. Tho 2002 was doomed fromt he get go with a very VERY young team, it meant the 03 shoulda been better. I believe under Solich that what was a veteran 04 team woulda been a top ten team all year long, however that team looked horrible under a new system. Bottome line is we'll never what woulda been under Solich to this day. With Pelini as D.C. i think we woulda been a top 10 team consistently.

Very good summary that squares with comments expressed to me although nothing about improprieties which is just as well if there were none. It's too bad Pedersen didn't ask Solich "What can WE do to improve recruiting?" He didn't seem to have the team concept or mentality though. Strange interlude. Which, I just learned is from Eugene O'Neill's play with this line: "Our lives are strange dark interludes in the electrical display of God the Father!"

#22 whateveritis1224

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:21 AM

I think one of the biggest reasons Solich was fired is that when he lost that year, it wasn't even close. Something like 38-10 against KSU, and 2 other 20+ point losses is what did him in.

#23 SUPERBUNNY

Travel Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:28 AM

Not a complicated answer. Solich was a first time head coach that wasn't getting the horses in recruiting and he wasn't Pederson's guy. That's it. It's over and done with and Franky ain't coming back!

SUPERBUNNY

#24 deedsker15

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:58 AM

Not a complicated answer. Solich was a first time head coach that wasn't getting the horses in recruiting and he wasn't Pederson's guy. That's it. It's over and done with and Franky ain't coming back!

SUPERBUNNY

SDSU jackrabbit???
Posted Image

#25 motorboatjonesNU

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:54 PM

MOD Edit - corrected confusing thread title.

1. Going 7-7 in 2002 (including ass-whoopings at Penn St and AMES, IA and losing -at home- vs. Ok St. for the first time since 1961)
2. All three losses in 2003 were lopsided: Texas, Kansas St and Mizzou
3. Aging staff; several of which no longer went on the road to recruit over the last few years
3A. A few bad hires. Well one in particular: DC Craig Bohl, who replaced Charlie McBride and then got booted after 2002
4. Poor game planner; DeAngelo Evans who played under both Oz and FS said this: "With Osborne, football was chess. With Solich it was checkers." Say what you want about Evans, but he's right.
5. Felt a sense of entitlement at NU. Remember him complaining after the '98 season about being at the Holiday Bowl? That's what 3 losses gets your team.
6. Poor communicator. Every hear one of his sound bites during games? 60 seconds of saying nothing but cliches and empty statements. Enough to make top recruits cancel their visit.
7. Steve Pederson. With the sourness of 2002 not entirely washed away by 2003, SP got trigger-happy. Why? He wanted to greatly lessen the emphasis of walk-ons and make NU a "destination" school for blue chips. Problem is we have corn, cows, pigs and lots of dirt roads rather than mountains, oceans, or both.

Now... While I realize we are much better off now, FS probably did deserve at least one more year. It would have been a matter of time before he was canned anyway, but getting fired after going 9-3 made NU quite unattractive to anyone but an egotistical NFL coach looking for a gig.

#26 Blaze1up

Grad Assistant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:55 PM

Jamal
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
1970 1971 1994 1995 1997 201?

#27 Hercules

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,511 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:00 PM

The reason Frank Solich was fired was because he took a few too many years before firing Craig Bohl.

Solich wasn't the offensive genius that Osborne was. But it was the defense that crashed after Charlie McBride left which led to Solich's demise.

#28 DelK

Scout Team

• Members2
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:31 PM

The reason Frank Solich was fired was because he took a few too many years before firing Craig Bohl.

Solich wasn't the offensive genius that Osborne was. But it was the defense that crashed after Charlie McBride left which led to Solich's demise.

I appreciate all the responses but just now wish I had a ten dollar bill for all the wishes that Coach Osborne would retire so Coach Solich could take over the team. Remember? LOL.
And NOW, I remember grumbling to any would listen that Osborne had taken a national championship team and turned it into a pretty good team. I embarrass myself.

#29 knapplc

Legend

• Mods
  • 31,850 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:53 PM

I appreciate all the responses but just now wish I had a ten dollar bill for all the wishes that Coach Osborne would retire so Coach Solich could take over the team. Remember? LOL.
And NOW, I remember grumbling to any would listen that Osborne had taken a national championship team and turned it into a pretty good team. I embarrass myself.

Ummmm.... what? Nobody was hoping that Osborne would retire in favor of Frank. The whole state was in shock when TO announced his retirement in 1997. Nobody wanted him to go, everyone wanted to see the ship keep sailing right along.

clEdF.png

skin_fetch.jpg

#30 junior4949

The Bobfather

• Members
  • 5,594 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:11 PM

So let me get this straight. It was the right move to fire Solich because he inherited talent from a NC team? If memory serves me correctly, TO inherited much the same as Solich. By TO's fourth year, 1976, Nebraska finished middle of the pack in the Big 8. Up to that point, he hadn't finished any higher than second in the Big 8. Solich won the Big 12 in year two and played for a NC in year four. TO had been head man for nearly a decade before he won his first conference title.

I doubt we'll ever really know the real story behind Solich's firing, but I don't think his on the field performance was the reason given the fact that he did better than TO did. Given today's coaching carousel and win now attitudes, TO would have more than likely been fired sometime in the 70's. What's the most interesting to look at is comparing the first five years of TO's career and Solich's career. Solich won 75.4 percent of his games even when putting his 7-7 season in there. TO won 78.7 percent of his games, but he had two ties. If TO had lost those two games where there was a tie, he would have had an identical 75.4 percent winning percentage as Solich. However, Solich in those first five years won a conference title and played for a NC while TO did neither of those in his first five years. In TO's first five years, there was an average of 3.2 conference teams ranked in the top 25. In Solich's first five years, there was an average of 4.4 conference teams ranked in the top 25. The level of competition Solich faced was tougher than the level of competition TO faced. When looking at the data, it just doesn't appear Solich was fired for on-the-field performance. However, we're about as likely to know the real reason of his firing as we are to know the real reason Cody Glenn's dismissal from the team in 2008.

#31 knapplc

Legend

• Mods
  • 31,850 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:36 PM

However, we're about as likely to know the real reason of his firing as we are to know the real reason Cody Glenn's dismissal from the team in 2008.

Some of us know both, and that you're a little off in your assessment of Solich's performance at the helm.

clEdF.png

skin_fetch.jpg

#32 DelK

Scout Team

• Members2
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:52 PM

So let me get this straight. It was the right move to fire Solich because he inherited talent from a NC team? If memory serves me correctly, TO inherited much the same as Solich. By TO's fourth year, 1976, Nebraska finished middle of the pack in the Big 8. Up to that point, he hadn't finished any higher than second in the Big 8. Solich won the Big 12 in year two and played for a NC in year four. TO had been head man for nearly a decade before he won his first conference title.

I doubt we'll ever really know the real story behind Solich's firing, but I don't think his on the field performance was the reason given the fact that he did better than TO did. Given today's coaching carousel and win now attitudes, TO would have more than likely been fired sometime in the 70's. What's the most interesting to look at is comparing the first five years of TO's career and Solich's career. Solich won 75.4 percent of his games even when putting his 7-7 season in there. TO won 78.7 percent of his games, but he had two ties. If TO had lost those two games where there was a tie, he would have had an identical 75.4 percent winning percentage as Solich. However, Solich in those first five years won a conference title and played for a NC while TO did neither of those in his first five years. In TO's first five years, there was an average of 3.2 conference teams ranked in the top 25. In Solich's first five years, there was an average of 4.4 conference teams ranked in the top 25. The level of competition Solich faced was tougher than the level of competition TO faced. When looking at the data, it just doesn't appear Solich was fired for on-the-field performance. However, we're about as likely to know the real reason of his firing as we are to know the real reason Cody Glenn's dismissal from the team in 2008.

You're probably right about never knowing all the reasons behind the firing but it does seem to me that the AD and the coach were not on speaking terms and there are probably other clues folks can suggest.
Guess I'll just enjoy Nebraska football and hope we remain competitive. My requirements are a little lower than they were I guess. :)

#33 BigWillie

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:03 AM

Multitude of reasons ..

Frank was a horrible in-game coach.

Frank's recruiting was horrible. He really did not believe in really chasing prospects until after the conference championship game was over. He really did not believe in heavily recruiting during the season, and did not use alot of OV's for games.

Because of that, the caliber of athlete was down. Frank would settle with a ton of players, and take the easy way out with in-state kids who had no business in getting an offer.

Too loyal. Numerous coaches deserved the axe, but he took the TO approach and coddled them rather than hold them accountable. Unfortunately for Frank, he was not respected like TO and could not get slackers to carry their weight, and people just kept a low effort.

Even more, Solich was not intended to be hired in the first place. Bill Byrne was never going to hire Solich and was looking at other coaches, namely Bob Stoops and Mack Brown. But that's an another story in itself.

#34 HuskersGJ

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:24 AM

Motorboat - good list- Thank You!

one point you made in particular

5. Felt a sense of entitlement at NU. Remember him complaining after the '98 season about being at the Holiday Bowl? That's what 3 losses gets your team.

Intersting you would bring that up, i hadn't heard that before.
It reminds of things that were said about Solich with recruiting. I remember reading an article from the Denver Post about a prominant CU player (I'm sorry I forget who) who wanted to go to the Huskers but said Solich didn't even know his name and there was this attitude like "We're big bad Nebraska, who are you again?"
Martin Rucker said similar things, as Mike's brother that guy should have been an easy recruit. Instead he helped Missouri kick our ass a couple times.

The only reason Solich had 9 wins in his last year was because of Bo's defense. I don't know about you guys, but I remember seeing a crappy offense being propped up by a good defense.

I think firing Solich was probably the right move, but hiring Callahan was the worst decision ever.

In retrospect Callahan was obviously not the right hire. but we could have done MUCH worse considering how many people were saying thanks but no thanks to SP.
SP had gotten desperate enough to go after Houston Nutt! Complain about BC not knowin the "Nebraska Way" all you want but Nutt would have been our RichRod, NCAA sanctions and all.
We have had some low points to humble us the last few years but just the rumors that Nebraska was looking at Nutt... at the time Callahan seemed like a lucky break compared to that douche.

#35 HuskersGJ

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:45 AM

Even more, Solich was not intended to be hired in the first place. Bill Byrne was never going to hire Solich and was looking at other coaches, namely Bob Stoops and Mack Brown. But that's an another story in itself.

Assuming the "story in itself" were true. Neither Stoops or Brown make very good Nebraska coaches IMO. At NU, Mack absolutely does not get the superior talent he has at his finger tips in Texas. I will give him credit for managing that talent (which isn't always easy), but at Nebraska I don't think he wins without the fertile recruiting ground.

Same with Stoops, I don't know that he would have done well here either. He did a great job saving the sinking ship that was OU at the time and did it with Blake's recruits. Nebraska wasn't nearly as stocked in 2003/04 as OU was when Stoops came aboard.

I don't know who would have been a good coach to continue after Osborne. but anyway we seem to have found our guy now. Whatever trials we had to go through to get to this point.

#36 Hercules

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,511 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:50 AM

Here's what I really believe is the REAL reason Solich got fired:

We got spoiled. The state of Nebraska, the fans, got spoiled rotten. Osborne finished his last 5 years going 60-3, winning 3 national championships, and was ever so close to winning 5. We were used to not only winning, but winning BIG. Certainly, nobody could remember the last time we had been blown out, even though Nebraska had been blown out a number of times under Osborne. So when we went a whole 6 seasons (gasp!) without winning a national championship, obviously the coaches were to blame. Never mind it took Tom Osborne 22 years to win his first championship. Once Bob Stoops came around to OU and won it in his second year, everyone started expecting the same kind of results.

Essentially, Solich got fired because he followed Osborne. Pelini is still here because he followed Callahan.

And for those of you who are saying that Solich's last team wouldn't have won 9 games without Pelini's defense, I have a few things to say to you. First of all, SOLICH brought in Pelini to fix the defense, which had collapsed the year before under Craig Bohl, leading to a 7-7 season. Part of the job of the head coach is to put together a staff that can win games, so to just say that Pelini deserves all the credit for the 2003 season is ridiculous. Also, Pelini's defense was decent that year, but not otherworldly like his 2009 defense (which also only won 9 games in the regular season, by the way). If my memory serves me correctly, Pelini's 2003 defense gave up 35 points or more to Texas, Missouri, and Kansas State in blowout losses.

Anyways, unless you're also willing to blame Pelini and not Watson for every offensive problem we had last year, stop blaming Solich for the defensive letdowns we had in the last few years of his coaching career. If Pelini had stayed on as defensive coordinator after 2003 and been given the time to turn around the defense like he has the past few years, Solich and Nebraska would have a couple of championship rings to show for it.

#37 DelK

Scout Team

• Members2
  • 87 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:23 AM

Motorboat - good list- Thank You!

one point you made in particular

Intersting you would bring that up, i hadn't heard that before.
It reminds of things that were said about Solich with recruiting. I remember reading an article from the Denver Post about a prominant CU player (I'm sorry I forget who) who wanted to go to the Huskers but said Solich didn't even know his name and there was this attitude like "We're big bad Nebraska, who are you again?"
Martin Rucker said similar things, as Mike's brother that guy should have been an easy recruit. Instead he helped Missouri kick our ass a couple times.

In retrospect Callahan was obviously not the right hire. but we could have done MUCH worse considering how many people were saying thanks but no thanks to SP.
SP had gotten desperate enough to go after Houston Nutt! Complain about BC not knowin the "Nebraska Way" all you want but Nutt would have been our RichRod, NCAA sanctions and all.
We have had some low points to humble us the last few years but just the rumors that Nebraska was looking at Nutt... at the time Callahan seemed like a lucky break compared to that douche.

All this is VERY interesting and enlightening even though we are probably readying reasons WE would have fired Solich and the correlation between these excellent points and what Pedersen was thinking is, perhaps tentative.
At any rate, it becomes pretty clear that creating and maintaining the conditions that result in a superior football program is a delicate, if not difficult, job which may be one of the reasons it is so interesting.

#38 Hingle McCringleberry

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:39 AM

Here's what I really believe is the REAL reason Solich got fired:

We got spoiled. The state of Nebraska, the fans, got spoiled rotten. Osborne finished his last 5 years going 60-3, winning 3 national championships, and was ever so close to winning 5. We were used to not only winning, but winning BIG. Certainly, nobody could remember the last time we had been blown out, even though Nebraska had been blown out a number of times under Osborne. So when we went a whole 6 seasons (gasp!) without winning a national championship, obviously the coaches were to blame. Never mind it took Tom Osborne 22 years to win his first championship. Once Bob Stoops came around to OU and won it in his second year, everyone started expecting the same kind of results.

Essentially, Solich got fired because he followed Osborne. Pelini is still here because he followed Callahan.

And for those of you who are saying that Solich's last team wouldn't have won 9 games without Pelini's defense, I have a few things to say to you. First of all, SOLICH brought in Pelini to fix the defense, which had collapsed the year before under Craig Bohl, leading to a 7-7 season. Part of the job of the head coach is to put together a staff that can win games, so to just say that Pelini deserves all the credit for the 2003 season is ridiculous. Also, Pelini's defense was decent that year, but not otherworldly like his 2009 defense (which also only won 9 games in the regular season, by the way). If my memory serves me correctly, Pelini's 2003 defense gave up 35 points or more to Texas, Missouri, and Kansas State in blowout losses.

Anyways, unless you're also willing to blame Pelini and not Watson for every offensive problem we had last year, stop blaming Solich for the defensive letdowns we had in the last few years of his coaching career. If Pelini had stayed on as defensive coordinator after 2003 and been given the time to turn around the defense like he has the past few years, Solich and Nebraska would have a couple of championship rings to show for it.

I agree with this 100%. I think the rumors of infidelity were created to get more steam to push Frank out, if this girl had Franks love child, where is it? I would think by now someone would of found him (see Jon Edwards for more info on that).

In the end, as much as I hated it, we needed Frank to leave, and we needed Callahan to implode. It has reset the expectations of the program, and in the long term, put the program on a more reasonable course. We have one of the most respected AD's in the country, a coach that seems to be taking us back to the top, and, for the time being, a national media that seems genuinely pleased with Nebraska returning to the national elite, definitely as good time to be a Husker fan.
"Those days are gone along with the mystique of Husker Football..." Lou Holtz November 29, 2013

#39 junior4949

The Bobfather

• Members
  • 5,594 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:45 AM

However, we're about as likely to know the real reason of his firing as we are to know the real reason Cody Glenn's dismissal from the team in 2008.

Some of us know both, and that you're a little off in your assessment of Solich's performance at the helm.

I didn't give an assessment. I gave factual statistics. If they are wrong, by all means correct them.

#40 knapplc

Legend

• Mods
  • 31,850 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:55 AM

I didn't give an assessment. I gave factual statistics. If they are wrong, by all means correct them.

The data isn't wrong, but your assessment of what that data means is not entirely correct. Wins/losses weren't all that was taken into account. That's all.

clEdF.png

skin_fetch.jpg

#41 junior4949

The Bobfather

• Members
  • 5,594 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:55 AM

Actually, I somewhat think this is a copout excuse. TO followed Devaney which is very similar to Solich following TO. It took TO nearly a decade to win his first conference championship while Solich did it in his second year. What really happened is that the game and attitudes changed. If coaches like Coker at Miami, Fulmer at Tennessee, Carr at Michigan, etc. had coached back in the 70's; none of them would have been fired or pushed out. Unfortunately, college football was hit somewhere in the late 90's with the win now or else attitude. More than likely Bob Stoops and Pete Carroll had a lot to do with this. If the SEC continues on with their dominance, I see a lot of coaches in other conferences heads rolling.

#42 junior4949

The Bobfather

• Members
  • 5,594 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:09 PM

The data isn't wrong, but your assessment of what that data means is not entirely correct. Wins/losses weren't all that was taken into account. That's all.

I still find interesting to this date that TO handpicked Solich as his replacement. Ironically, TO is now our AD who would make the decision of hirings and firings. The second thing that I still find interesting is the fact that TO even stated he met with Clownahan and his staff when he was brought in as the interim AD. At that time, he told them his expectations which all came down to wins and losses. According to TO, Clownahan would still be our coach had he won the amount of games TO outlined for him. In all reality, Bo was TO's second choice for coach. It's somewhat likely that Bo wouldn't even be coaching in the college ranks if it weren't for Solich. It's funny how things come full circle sometimes.

#43 knapplc

Legend

• Mods
  • 31,850 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:29 PM

I still find interesting to this date that TO handpicked Solich as his replacement. Ironically, TO is now our AD who would make the decision of hirings and firings. The second thing that I still find interesting is the fact that TO even stated he met with Clownahan and his staff when he was brought in as the interim AD. At that time, he told them his expectations which all came down to wins and losses. According to TO, Clownahan would still be our coach had he won the amount of games TO outlined for him. In all reality, Bo was TO's second choice for coach. It's somewhat likely that Bo wouldn't even be coaching in the college ranks if it weren't for Solich. It's funny how things come full circle sometimes.

The full circle part of this is odd/weird/ironic. I didn't know that Bo was TO's second choice. Who was his first? Kelly?

I don't know why TO picked Solich. Frank is a Husker to the core, always will be, but he never seemed like the right guy. It's too bad he ever got put into the position of being the Head Coach, because that was the decision that eventually led to his ouster from the program, and a "Husker Guy" like Solich shouldn't have been put in a position where he had to get fired like that. But the reality is that it wasn't working, for a lot of reasons, and Pederson was most definitely not willing to let it go until Frank figured it all out - if Frank figured it all out.

I wonder about that Callahan stuff. I know next to nothing about his regime, or TO's actual factual reasons for letting him go, but it seems like the wins/losses thing was an excuse. I can't imagine Tom came in, saw the condition the program was in, and had any real thoughts of keeping Callahan on past 2007 regardless of wins/losses. It's convenient that Callahan lost the way he did, from a PR standpoint, but I have to figure he would have been gone no matter what. Callahan was just never a Husker Guy, not in any sense of the phrase. Frank was, but wasn't "Head Coach at Nebraska" material. Turner is, but I'm not sure he's "HC@N" material right now.

I suppose I'm happy with Bo as HC right now, but all things considered, I'd rather not have gone through the Callahan Era to get here. Two mediocre seasons and two extremely embarrassing seasons just aren't worth this, nor is the end of the bowl streak, or any of the records we gave up.

clEdF.png

skin_fetch.jpg

#44 zoogies

Legend

• Mods
  • 15,476 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:42 PM

The win-loss thing strikes me as an excuse too. It was something like 'finish 8-4, and you stay. 7-5, we can probably make it work. 6-6, no promises. 5-7, you're out.' I'd hope that TO would have made a more holistic approach, given that such silly ultimatums almost led to his firing before his career got off the ground.

2w7mzox.png

#45 Hercules

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,511 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:50 PM

The full circle part of this is odd/weird/ironic. I didn't know that Bo was TO's second choice. Who was his first? Kelly?

I don't know why TO picked Solich. Frank is a Husker to the core, always will be, but he never seemed like the right guy. It's too bad he ever got put into the position of being the Head Coach, because that was the decision that eventually led to his ouster from the program, and a "Husker Guy" like Solich shouldn't have been put in a position where he had to get fired like that. But the reality is that it wasn't working, for a lot of reasons, and Pederson was most definitely not willing to let it go until Frank figured it all out - if Frank figured it all out.

I wonder about that Callahan stuff. I know next to nothing about his regime, or TO's actual factual reasons for letting him go, but it seems like the wins/losses thing was an excuse. I can't imagine Tom came in, saw the condition the program was in, and had any real thoughts of keeping Callahan on past 2007 regardless of wins/losses. It's convenient that Callahan lost the way he did, from a PR standpoint, but I have to figure he would have been gone no matter what. Callahan was just never a Husker Guy, not in any sense of the phrase. Frank was, but wasn't "Head Coach at Nebraska" material. Turner is, but I'm not sure he's "HC@N" material right now.

I suppose I'm happy with Bo as HC right now, but all things considered, I'd rather not have gone through the Callahan Era to get here. Two mediocre seasons and two extremely embarrassing seasons just aren't worth this, nor is the end of the bowl streak, or any of the records we gave up.

Osborne said publicly that he laid out clear benchmarks for Callahan to keep his job:
Osborne fires Callahan

#46 knapplc

Legend

• Mods
  • 31,850 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:59 PM

Osborne said publicly that he laid out clear benchmarks for Callahan to keep his job:
Osborne fires Callahan

I know about TO's comments - I read the paper too. I just don't buy that wins and losses are the only reason Callahan was fired, just like I don't buy that Bo still needs to evaluate his QBs because he can't figure out who his starter is.

There are things a program will state publicly that are palatable and convey the message that the program wants conveyed. These are not always the sum total of the facts, nor are they always truly factual to the situation.

clEdF.png

skin_fetch.jpg

#47 Hercules

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,511 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:51 PM

Osborne fires Callahan

I know about TO's comments - I read the paper too. I just don't buy that wins and losses are the only reason Callahan was fired, just like I don't buy that Bo still needs to evaluate his QBs because he can't figure out who his starter is.

There are things a program will state publicly that are palatable and convey the message that the program wants conveyed. These are not always the sum total of the facts, nor are they always truly factual to the situation.

Osborne never said that wins and losses were the only items being considered. However, winning is the bottom line, and he laid out pretty clear guidelines for how Callahan would keep or lose his job. If Callahan wins enough, then culture/fit/whatever other reasons to fire Callahan there were don't come into play. However, Callahan didn't win enough to even merit considering to bring him back. He'd had two losing seasons, he was gone. Culture/fit didn't matter, he was losing. End of story. If Callahan had won 2 or 3 of his final 4 games, then it's a gray area and Osborne might have delved into all of the other issues surrounding the case, Callahan only won 1, and so it was pretty clear cut.

#48 knapplc

Legend

• Mods
  • 31,850 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:00 PM

Osborne never said that wins and losses were the only items being considered. However, winning is the bottom line, and he laid out pretty clear guidelines for how Callahan would keep or lose his job. If Callahan wins enough, then culture/fit/whatever other reasons to fire Callahan there were don't come into play. However, Callahan didn't win enough to even merit considering to bring him back. He'd had two losing seasons, he was gone. Culture/fit didn't matter, he was losing. End of story. If Callahan had won 2 or 3 of his final 4 games, then it's a gray area and Osborne might have delved into all of the other issues surrounding the case, Callahan only won 1, and so it was pretty clear cut.

There weren't enough wins to keep Callahan around. Tom talked extensively about the health of the program once he was hired, and it absolutely wasn't what he wanted. The losses simply made it easier to fire the guy from a PR standpoint.

clEdF.png

skin_fetch.jpg

#49 zoogies

Legend

• Mods
  • 15,476 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:12 PM

I mean, when Osborne had that meeting with Callahan, the only guarantee was to win the last 4 games of the season - all of them, and lose none.

A pretty tall order.

Agree with Hercules. I think if he had done that, he would have actually been retained. But at that point things had been messed up to the point where the bar needed to be set that high.

2w7mzox.png

#50 NUpolo8

The Bobfather

• Members
  • 6,373 posts

HB Donor Gold

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:09 AM

Another big reason for Solich's downturn happened in 99, (A year where he coached himself out of a national title shot, no way Texas should have gotten over NU in the regular season.) When he named Newcombe the starting qb, Crouch threw a tantrum, quit, and ran home to mommy. Solich begged him to come back, and eventually gave him what he wanted. That was a great year, but he lost the respect of the team. 2000 and 2001 were rife with discipline problems.
#Entitled

<span style="font-family: trebuchet ms" ,="" helvetica,="" sans-serif'="">I donated for Childhood Apraxia.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users