Stadium Expansion

I've attended games at Memorial Stadium before the new sound system was put in place, and it was worlds better than what we have now. Now is horrible.

Also, I went and took a bunch of pics today, but I have company coming over so I won't be able to post them today. Look for an update tomorrow. Got to walk completely around the Arena and environs.

When was the new sound system even put in? Also, was the sound system really better in the 40's than todays? ;)

According to knapp, the sound was better before than it is now.

Why has no one made a joke about his hearing loss?

Oh, the post above mine was pretty good.

Says the person who is never where they say they'll be. I've tried three times now.

Three times.

Only a couple more to match Te'o...

• Fire 3

According to knapp, the sound was better before than it is now.

Why has no one made a joke about his hearing loss?

Oh, the post above mine was pretty good.

Says the person who is never where they say they'll be. I've tried three times now.

Three times.

That's kinda funny. Sorry :)

Is there a Husker Board soap opera story here?

Lots and lots of pictures today. Had to break this into several parts.

Took this from way over by the Arena. They're putting the seats in the upper deck.

DSCF4498.jpg

This is the top of the main entrance on the east side. Now you'll always know where you are - presuming you enter by this gate.

DSCF4424.jpg

The imposing facade.

DSCF4426.jpg

Some shots from within the columns:

DSCF4427.jpg

DSCF4430.jpg

DSCF4432.jpg

DSCF4434.jpg

DSCF4435.jpg

• Fire 6

On to the Arena:

From the foot of the walking bridge to Haymarket park, looking SW:

DSCF4450.jpg

From the street in front of the post office, looking NW:

DSCF4459.jpg

From Arena Drive & Q Street, looking NE:

DSCF4482.jpg

Finally, a previously unavailable angle - looking SE from the curve of Arena Drive. They put in a bike path around the north side, and I believe it's open to the public:

DSCF4500.jpg

The next several shots are of the new buildings going up all over the place in the area south of the Arena. You're familiar with the one just across the street to the south. The rest have all sprung up since I last took pics on Christmas Eve.

I was standing at Arena Drive and Q Street looking east, a shot I've taken several times. I think I did this same pic on Christmas Eve, but the building to the left, a parking garage, wasn't there that day. They've made a lot of progress in three weeks, but it's all pre-cast stuff. Goes up fast.

DSCF4476.jpg

Same garage from the east next to the old train station.

DSCF4471.jpg

The garage in relation to that building just south of the Arena.

DSCF4470.jpg

Looking north from just about where that old steam engine used to sit west of the train station. The building on the right wasn't there three weeks ago, and the space between that building, the building we've all seen before to the left, and the Arena is where that open public space is supposed to be, I believe. In the foreground you can see some footings for what I believe will end up as that video cube they've been talking about.

DSCF4467.jpg

• Fire 6

These next three are of the Arena area taken from the O Street overpass:

DSCF4530.jpg

DSCF4525.jpg

DSCF4518.jpg

And a panorama shot of the whole construction mess:

DSCF4517.jpg

These last four are for you train enthusiasts out there. The Amtrak station, the new concrete railroad ties they're using on the new tracks, and a train doing train-like things.

DSCF4515.jpg

DSCF4505.jpg

DSCF4480.jpg

I took those shots above while walking over to get a shot of the mole they've built for the ramp to the north end of the new walking bridge they're putting in. Looks like this thing spills out to the west of the parking lot of Haymarket Park, and a little south. That's kinda no-man's-land, so I'm not sure why they've put it out there - unless the path snakes back east again at the bottom. Have to wait and see.

DSCF4490.jpg

• Fire 4