Stadium Expansion

Warning: This is a super nerdy post.

Here is a nice little article about stadium volume in FBS stadiums. Somewhat loaded with engineering jargon (and mostly tongue-in-cheek), it does offer some cool insights into what can contribute to a loud stadium. It seems that Memorial Stadium will benefit from two 120' walls on either side of the stadium (i.e., east and west stadium)... although the loooooong south endzone and longish north endzone may well allow most of the sound to escape. If press boxes were added to the south endzone that would increase the overall stadium volume dramatically in my opinion...

http://www.sbnation....oudest-football

I took some photos yesterday and met Knap while he was shooting some today (really nice guy). So between both of us, we'll have some pretty cool photos for you guys in the next few days.

As soon as i have internet access (unfortunately im on the road all day heading to east Iowa for a wedding) ill post mine.

Can give you this update though -the south side of the new cpmplex adjacent to the new athlete lab will be the new brain study area along with their offices. I ran into one of their heads yesterday outside the stadium. They were excited to see the progress being made on their area.

Also, if you didn't know, they have two more floors to put in along with the final bleachers. I got this confirmed while talking with one of the construction workers today. This thing will be massive.

• Fire 1

Here are my pics from yesterday:

DSCF2287.jpg

DSCF2310.jpg

They are making decent progress with the facia on the north side.

DSCF2315.jpg

The outer skin is going up on the north rim. This is the final exterior, the first put up since the outer facing was put on the main entrance months ago.

DSCF2297.jpg

A broader view of the north side, taken from the deck by the Coliseum. In the foreground you can see they've striped Ed Weir Track to the dirt, as well as the soccer field. They were manicuring that soccer field as recently as a few weeks ago.

DSCF2317.jpg

From the Haymarket walking bridge, you can see this thing will be a behemoth when finished.

DSCF2332.jpg

From the polar opposite side from the last picture, this was taken at the First-Street end of the O Street overpass. You can see the Haymarket footbridge in the background, and the canopy of the new Amtrak station in the foreground.

DSCF2353.jpg

The Amtrak station looks good. The exterior looks nearly complete, with internal tinkering left before it opens. Once this thing opens, the tracks in front go live and the tracks between the Arena and the Post Office go bye-bye, and work can proceed more rapidly on the whole area.

DSCF2358.jpg

Another long view of the whole work site. They're moving right along on everything - the power plant, the Arena and environs.

Some more messing around with "miniaturization" techniques:

DSCF2347SHIFT.jpg

A view of the workers inside the future Haymarket power plant. Didn't turn out as "miniature" as I'd hoped.

DSCF2386SHIFT.jpg

A train for you train enthusiasts. I had to wait nearly ten minutes for this monster coal train to go by, so I hope you like it, or the wait wouldn't have been worth it.

• Fire 2

Awesome pictures Knap thanks!

The stadium pictures just got me thinking about one of my favorite game day memories, driving down vine street coming over the crest of the hills and seeing the stadium looming in the distance between the trees and houses. It seemed imposing from miles away then, I can't imagine what it will be like from now on.

The tall building in the 3rd picture, Oldfather hall, is something we need more of. I think people will like tall buildings around the stadium

If you guys dont know what i'm talking about, its the large building sticking out here: NebraskaCrowd2.jpg

are we planning on building more taller buildings around the stadium or something?

The tall building in the 3rd picture, Oldfather hall, is something we need more of. I think people will like tall buildings around the stadium

are we planning on building more taller buildings around the stadium or something?

No, and I find it unlikely we're going to build tall buildings because people like tall buildings.