Stadium Expansion

Man I guess I didn't have an appreciation for how massive this thing is until seeing the pictures of construction and seeing it in person. I don't know if I would want seats in the upper most deck, seem like it would be as bad as Kyle Field BFE seats. Got to make sure you don't get hypoxia being up that high!

I don't think it will be much different than a lot of pro stadiums as far as height goes.

It is interesting that these updated pictures differ slightly from some of the early digital mock-ups. Notice how the new seats extend over HuskerVision on the North and South flanks...

Memorial_7.jpg

...but in this early digital mock-up the seats stop just before...

Memorial-Stadium-East-Inside.jpg

It does look like some other early schematics do have the seats as shown in the recent update.

E.g.,:

)

Nebraska football video just tweeted a picture inside the stadium tonight... the entire concrete portion has been poured now so it's all the way done across... they went from half way across (picture above) to all the way across in just a couple of days.

I'm pretty certain those seating sections were shipped in pre-cast. I think I saw them lifting some up yesterday as I was driving downtown.

I snapped a picture with my phone, but it was pretty far away. Hard to see anything, but the section being lifted is just below the stop light in this pic:

concreteseats.jpg

Nice article in the Journal Star on the arena progress complete with a panoramic. The article is located here. And the panorama.

A tidbit from the article:

Trucks deliver concrete to the structure every 10 minutes.

They get at least two columns done a day as well as accompanying support structures.

Now, they're close to reaching the topping-off point. The concrete skeleton structure is about 75 percent completed.

Active train tracks hug close to the site. Trains rumble by multiple times a day, but in July, those tracks will be removed, allowing for the rest of the arena's infrastructure to be built in their place.

By winter, the structure will be enclosed, allowing interior work to happen without interference from the weather.

Tracks will be removed in July, so sounds like the new Amtrak station will be open soon. Enclosed by winter, starting to get exciting.