Stadium Expansion

Nebraska Video has some pics of the rebuilding of the Tunnel Walk path:

AxcvRIUCQAA1NWU.jpg

AxcvYFhCAAEz_Rq.jpg

AxcvwS6CQAEzqYg.jpg

Wow wait a minute? Knapp, does this mean they are moving the original bricks and bronze walkway from the original tunnel walk in South Stadium to the current tunnel walk under North Stadium? If so that would be fantastic! I really didn't care to much for that red carpet, and it always bothered me that our opponents would walk over our original tunnel walk brick path.

They are cruising on the ironwork now. Its amazing just the noticeable differences you can see when I go to work at 7:30 and when I leave at 5.

Have they started the next level yet?

Best way I can describe where they're at is with a little diagram - they're up to the red line.

Pics coming today soon.

east2.jpg

Wow wait a minute? Knapp, does this mean they are moving the original bricks and bronze walkway from the original tunnel walk in South Stadium to the current tunnel walk under North Stadium? If so that would be fantastic! I really didn't care to much for that red carpet, and it always bothered me that our opponents would walk over our original tunnel walk brick path.

That is something I do not know. But I think it would be a really neat thing if they did.

Lol, I think we should leave the engineering to the engineers. I'm sure that North Stadium is adequately built.

To answer your question, the reason that one of the columns is "bent" is because if it was perfectly vertical, it would hit the ground right in the middle of the track, so obviously that's no good.

Hopefully different engineers who's responsible for 1993 collapse in south stadium. Luckily, there were no injuries.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1933&dat=19930517&id=2N4gAAAAIBAJ&sjid=JGsFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1490,2155188

Remember that? "ies" instead of "ers"

wa_stadium.JPG

Well, look what I found trying to google a pic of the 1993 collapse.

From Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.

Projects: Lincoln, Nebraska

Memorial Stadium, University of Nebraska-Lincoln

Condition Assessment and Repair Design

After a small concrete seating section collapsed in Memorial Stadium under dead load conditions the University heightened its awareness regarding the structural integrity of all the stadium seating structures. Visible, underside concrete deterioration in the north and south stands coupled with other apparent water leakage problems precipitated a thorough condition assessment of the stadium.

CLIENT

University of Nebraska-Lincoln

STRUCTURE

When the original Memorial Stadium opened in 1923, its east and west stands held 31,000 fans. In the 1960s, additional north and south stand structures were constructed to fill in the stadium bowl, using an open precast and cast-in-place concrete framing system. With a current capacity of 75,000 on game days, the stadium is the third largest population area in the state.

SCOPE OF SERVICE

Field investigation

Laboratory testing of concrete samples

Structural review for gravity and lateral loads

Condition survey report interpreting implications for the stadium's long-term performance

Repair specifications and construction observation for a multi-phase repair program

SOLUTION

Inspection findings:

The east and west stands experienced areas of reinforcing bar corrosion damage and freeze-thaw deterioration brought about by moisture ingress into the concrete

The north and south stands had extensive cracking of several raker beams, attributed to early shrinkage cracking of the concrete and cracking due to alkali-silica reactions within the concrete matrix

Multi-year rehabilitation and maintenance program recommendations:

Rehabilitation of the 1920s grandstand structures including concrete repair

New structural overlay repairs

Expansion joint rebuilding and sealing

Waterproof membrane application on the exposed tread and riser surfaces

Rebuilding of significantly deteriorated members

WJE examines the facility annually to identify maintenance repairs with structural implications

They are cruising on the ironwork now. Its amazing just the noticeable differences you can see when I go to work at 7:30 and when I leave at 5.

Best way I can describe where they're at is with a little diagram - they're up to the red line.

Pics coming today soon.

east2.jpg

Another level? I didn't know that. I thought skelton structure was completed. Four decks.......whoa! Actually, this design is similar to Gaylord Stadium expansion (OU). Need to install oxygen tank ports for every seats and hand out free binoculars. Way to high IMO. Next time, I will produce several pictures in Gaylord Stadium. Again kinda similar.

Gaylord Stadium

300px-EastSide1_-OUUAB_2006.09.02.jpg

Pics coming today soon.

east2.jpg

Another level? I didn't know that. I thought skelton structure was completed. Four decks.......whoa! Actually, this design is similar to Gaylord Stadium expansion (OU). Need to install oxygen tank ports for every seats and hand out free binoculars. Way to high IMO. Next time, I will produce several pictures in Gaylord Stadium. Again kinda similar.

Gaylord Stadium

300px-EastSide1_-OUUAB_2006.09.02.jpg

It will still be a good view. I'm used to being on the east balcony and it's an incredible view, i like it better than the lower area, so imo adding a few decks won't do a ton for the view, and im glad they are doing boxes and then a deck above because hopefully it will help keep the noise in the stadium from the club seats and east balcony, the highest deck won't do much for a noise factor however

fantasy1.png

I'd been looking for this picture for a while. This is the way North Stadium SHOULD have been done.

is it not possible to connect? you have to figure in 6-8 years there will be a south stadium expansion with something similar to the north side over there, but then after that will they not be able to enclose it?