What's Desmond Howard Smoking?

HuskerT

I have watched that play a few times because it surprised me that he was caught, to tell you the truth the guy had an angle but when I see it I think that Martinez let of the gas some. That's what I thought the first time I saw it on the highlight reel and after re-watching I think I'm right. I just now watched again before I posted this.

No way to know but it is my first impression. Last week was the most I've seen Denard do not the best game to watch to watch him.

I just watched the game this afternoon and I agree - Martinez clearly let off the gas on that run. I couldn't see why, especially when he stated a game or two ago that he had never yet had to run at full speed, but for whatever reason, when that guy caught him he was not running all-out.

What highlight are we talking about here?

Here is a link it is the last vid at the bottom of the article. The run is at the 1min 10 sec mark tackle about 1min 14.

My link

I have watched that play a few times because it surprised me that he was caught, to tell you the truth the guy had an angle but when I see it I think that Martinez let of the gas some. That's what I thought the first time I saw it on the highlight reel and after re-watching I think I'm right. I just now watched again before I posted this.

No way to know but it is my first impression. Last week was the most I've seen Denard do not the best game to watch to watch him.

I was just using that play as an example of why Desmond Howard might have said that Taylor was caught from behind. He had to bounce out to the sideline which allowed the defense to catch up. He clearly wasn't caught from behind.

Your point is well taken ... no matter what he is smoking somthin' if he thinks Martinez was caught.

It was just under the 2 minute mark of the 2nd quarter....the drive that set up the field goal to make it 17-3. I noticed the same thing too and wondered if he was sore or worried about taking a hit or what...

I too noticed a bit of a hitch in his giddy-up on that play. I think maybe he was just worn out from all the wind sprints.

I just watched the game this afternoon and I agree - Martinez clearly let off the gas on that run. I couldn't see why, especially when he stated a game or two ago that he had never yet had to run at full speed, but for whatever reason, when that guy caught him he was not running all-out.

What highlight are we talking about here?

Here is a link it is the last vid at the bottom of the article. The run is at the 1min 10 sec mark tackle about 1min 14.

My link

Hard to tell from that angle, but if he doesn't have to bounce out about 10 yards he doesn't get caught. I might concede that it does look like he's running on fumes, but again he doesn't get caught from behind.

Well from what i've seen so far I think T -magic is a step or 2 faster then robinson is.I seen a few games I seen the game when they played the irish and all hes fast no doubt then I watched the NU game when we smashed the huskies and the 80 yarder was GREAT. I looked at both runs and I think robinson takes less time to get to full speed and if you look at the KSU game taylor was at full speed when he got in the middel where the linebackers was he was in 5th gear as I call it if thats possible lol

by the end of the year when NE is heading to the big show, everyone will be high on T-magic. shoelace who??? plus the whole shoelace thing is stupid, he uses velcro to hold them on so its not like everybody makes it seem. If i could chose between Martinez and Robinson, id chose Martinez. I like his not ever nervous, cocky or confident attitude he has. Just seems like my type of guy.

Those analysts probably watch a fraction of the football guys like us do. The stats are there for Denard, and he's made his fair share of long runs. I don't think its too big of a deal

Agree, but I'm still looking for any kind of video evidence of Taylor getting caught from behind. If it existed you think one of would have seen it by now. Even the announcers calling the games see him get into the open and say he's gone. Desmond shouldn't take us for a bunch of suckers!

I've actually been waiting for someone to bring these two topics up:

1. Desmonds ridiculous statement that Robinson is top speed faster, never get caught. I usually have on gameday but don't really listen, as it's all conjecture..however on this point, I nearly looked up at the screen!! Did Desmond really say Martin-ez isn't just as fast as Robinson? His bias shone through so clearly, like he hadn't seen Marin-ez run roughshod TD runs through and through?

2. I rewound the interview when I heard Marin-ez explain that he hasn't run full speed through a TD run yet at least 16 times!! The reporter asked him if he let up a little on the 80 yarder, and sure enough Taylor said something like, "I haven't had to run full speed through to the end yet" and seriously, if you watch the long runs, he does start his "limp gallop" early enough to be noticeable. I'm not nitpicking here, he does let up. He hasn't gotten caught from behind yet, but if you watch the GayState play in question, maybe he thought he was gone and let up a little?

I'm glad this thread was started cuz I didn't want to harp on some bullcrap, but judge for yourself--Desmond either doesn't know his shiz(quite possible) or is a complete homer (more likely). And Martin-ez needs to finish his runs before he DOES get caught.

Am I crazy on this?.

Desmond Howard played for Michigan. That's all you need to know about his analysis.

It is dumb for Desmond to say that as a Meecheagain alum. I listened to it and immediately dismissed it as alum-homerish. It is just like Robert Smith picking OSU to be no. 1, even though it is legit this week, he just doesn't look right unless they say, even though I attended this school I want to make this point.

I've actually been waiting for someone to bring these two topics up:

1. Desmonds ridiculous statement that Robinson is top speed faster, never get caught. I usually have on gameday but don't really listen, as it's all conjecture..however on this point, I nearly looked up at the screen!! Did Desmond really say Martin-ez isn't just as fast as Robinson? His bias shone through so clearly, like he hadn't seen Marin-ez run roughshod TD runs through and through?

2. I rewound the interview when I heard Marin-ez explain that he hasn't run full speed through a TD run yet at least 16 times!! The reporter asked him if he let up a little on the 80 yarder, and sure enough Taylor said something like, "I haven't had to run full speed through to the end yet" and seriously, if you watch the long runs, he does start his "limp gallop" early enough to be noticeable. I'm not nitpicking here, he does let up. He hasn't gotten caught from behind yet, but if you watch the GayState play in question, maybe he thought he was gone and let up a little?

I'm glad this thread was started cuz I didn't want to harp on some bullcrap, but judge for yourself--Desmond either doesn't know his shiz(quite possible) or is a complete homer (more likely). And Martin-ez needs to finish his runs before he DOES get caught.

Am I crazy on this?.

Amen to that! If mistaking Desmond Howard for a douche is wrong, I don't wanna be right! He's supposed to be a professional and not a homer. Makes me sick.

Somehow this thread became about who's faster. My problem with Howard is that he inaccurately said that Robinson was better than Taylor because Taylor has been caught from behind and that would never happen to Robinson. If Robinson is faster than Taylor I could live with that, but it chaps my hide that he just flat out lies to people to make his Michigan guy look better.

i see what you are saying. it is still speculation, and you have to take everything these guys say with a grain of salt, i do not think they have an agenda, just different opinions and sometimes they are morons. i will put it this way, they have no more reason to be talking football on national television than 90% of huskerboard, and i disagree with a lot of people on hb.