Why we will lose to Missouri

heres my honest question.

I have watched a good number of NE games this year and NE has not been able to generate much pressure at all on QB's. And as about 20 different posters have mentioned they believe the key is to pressure Gabbert. Then they go on to declair a Nebraska victory, most by double digits. Well my qusetion is, Mu possibly has the best O-line in the big12, and Ne hasnt really presured anyone, what makes you believe with such confidence that you will be able to this week?

It's ok Gabbert will be throwing the ball to receivers perfectly blanketed in man to man coverage. Gabberts going to have at least 2 interceptions. :)

I have watched a good number of NE games this year and NE has not been able to generate much pressure at all on QB's. And as about 20 different posters have mentioned they believe the key is to pressure Gabbert. Then they go on to declair a Nebraska victory, most by double digits. Well my qusetion is, Mu possibly has the best O-line in the big12, and Ne hasnt really presured anyone, what makes you believe with such confidence that you will be able to this week?

I have been reading the same thing and while I think the posters have a point, I think QB pressure is second on our D's list of priorities this weekend. MU's offense is timing based, Gabbert takes on step and makes his decision where he's going. When that target is covered, his feet get nervous, when the second target isn't there, he really gets antsy. While a good, solid pressure would be nice all day long, if our DB's can throw off the timing of the routes just enough to allow a little push and close that pocket up, Gabbert will throw balls that can be picked. We don't need a ton of sacks to win this game. I LOVE the matchup between Dennard, Prince, Hagg, Gomes against your WR's, they are ball hawks and MU's offense is what these guys are trained to stop. I have a feeling the back 7 will do enough at the point of attack to allow the front 4 to work their way into the backfield, at least enough to get Gabbert's feet happy and have him throwing into spaces he really doesn't want to.

MU's offense isn't the best we've seen and MU's D isn't the best we've seen, while NU's offense MIGHT be the best MU's seen and our D could very well be the best they've seen as well (all statistically speaking), so who knows. I'm betting it'll be a good game either way.

It's ok Gabbert will be throwing the ball to receivers perfectly blanketed in man to man coverage. Gabberts going to have at least 2 interceptions. :)

The funny thing is MU lives on the fact that our 5 or 6 is better than yours. If you turn you backs in man, we will run on you. You try to double moe or egnew, then jackson or kemp beats your 3rd or 4th best.

it will be interesting. The single biggest factor in last years game was the ability of NE to put immediate presure on Gabbert.

The funny thing is MU lives on the fact that our 5 or 6 is better than yours. If you turn you backs in man, we will run on you. You try to double moe or egnew, then jackson or kemp beats your 3rd or 4th best.

it will be interesting. The single biggest factor in last years game was the ability of NE to put immediate presure on Gabbert.

I'll agree with you on that one Fro, also as I have posted elsewhere, special teams and field position are also big factors on who wins the Defense battle.

As far as the lack of defensive line pressure is concerned, I might have some insight into this.

First and foremost, I think it falls on the shoulders of the inexperienced linebacking corp. Last year, Phillip Dillard was the general of that defense making the adjustments pre-snap. He was a Senior, a guy with a lot of experience, and a guy that really came into his own his Senior year. Right now, we don't have near that kind of leadership on the defensive side of the ball nor do we have somebody with that experience. All we have is a high-flying JUCO transfer in David who has intense potential but still lacks some of the mental game, and then the next best guy is Compton. And, if I'm not mistaken, I don't think Compton was in charge of defensive calls last year, so this very well could be his first year trying to do so. Either way, Compton only has one year of experience. Still very young.

Part 1a - We had Suh. For the most part, that is self-explanatory.

Second of all, I think we have to understand the defensive concept itself. We play primarily with 6 defensive backs on the field including Hagg at the Peso position. It's a two gap system and is based heavily on reading and reacting to what the defense is doing. Most offensive schemes today dictate this because of how important the passing attack has become. Our defense (both physically and philosophically) isn't really designed to wreak havoc in the backfield or be unstoppable in rush defense. I think we were just spoiled last year considering we had Suh as a menace in the interior.

• Fire 1

No doubt about it. I might be in the minority as far as Husker fans go, but I'm mighty concerned about our Dline's lack of pressure. While some think Gabbert's passing is all a matter of timing, I've seen plenty of evidence of him being a very good decision-maker who knows how to extend plays (inside and outside of the pocket) and find the open man downfield. There's no doubt we have an outstanding secondary and one of the speediest defenses in the country, but Gabbert is one of the most efficient QBs we'll see. And call me crazy, but the determining factor in breaking up a QB's timing/rhythm is by putting pressure on him with our rush. Our DBs have great man coverage, but to expect them to break up a WR's route and consequently the QB's timing every down just doesn't make sense. Not even our incredible DBs can do that every time. The Dline was a big reason we won in Columbia last year, and they need to have a great game plugging lanes and collapsing the pocket QUICKLY, if we want to force Gabbert's hand and stop their offense.

Over

Confident

For whatever reason, everyone has been underrating this Missouri team this year. And they keep on finding ways to win. In the telecast of the Oklahoma game, Herbstriet made a great point that Missouri's red zone defense has been consistently good all year and that these "lucky breaks" keep happening too often for them to be just luck. Yet when watching Missouri play or even just looking at the box score, it appears that Missouri has just been very fortunate that their opponents keep making critical mistakes. The other thing which continues to go unnoticed is how Missouri has completely dominated its opponents in the second half (and in the 4th quarter especially). For example, in the Oklahoma game, Missouri had 192 yards in the 4th quarter, while Oklahoma had 7.

Missouri went into College Station and absolutely dominated a decent A&M team. A&M's lone touchdown came late in the game against Missouri's second team defense. This was the same A&M team that put up almost identical offensive numbers against Oklahoma State as Nebraska did, yet held OSU to 150 fewer yards than Nebraska's defense.

Other reasons why Missouri might win:

1) Missouri is the better team. They have a better record than Nebraska and have played a tougher schedule.

2) Turnovers. If Missouri wins the turnover battle, they are almost impossible to beat. Despite playing tougher competition, Missouri has a more impressive turnover margin than this Nebraska team.

3) Sagarin predicts a dead-even tie between these two teams. If this game goes to overtime, huge advantage to Missouri. National Rankings for Red Zone Offense (Missouri: 26, Nebraska: 81) Red Zone Defense (Missouri: 1, Nebraska: 81).

• Fire 1

Over

Confident

For whatever reason, everyone has been underrating this Missouri team this year. And they keep on finding ways to win. In the telecast of the Oklahoma game, Herbstriet made a great point that Missouri's red zone defense has been consistently good all year and that these "lucky breaks" keep happening too often for them to be just luck. Yet when watching Missouri play or even just looking at the box score, it appears that Missouri has just been very fortunate that their opponents keep making critical mistakes. The other thing which continues to go unnoticed is how Missouri has completely dominated its opponents in the second half (and in the 4th quarter especially). For example, in the Oklahoma game, Missouri had 192 yards in the 4th quarter, while Oklahoma had 7.

Missouri went into College Station and absolutely dominated a decent A&M team. A&M's lone touchdown came late in the game against Missouri's second team defense. This was the same A&M team that put up almost identical offensive numbers against Oklahoma State as Nebraska did, yet held OSU to 150 fewer yards than Nebraska's defense.

Other reasons why Missouri might win:

1) Missouri is the better team. They have a better record than Nebraska and have played a tougher schedule.

2) Turnovers. If Missouri wins the turnover battle, they are almost impossible to beat. Despite playing tougher competition, Missouri has a more impressive turnover margin than this Nebraska team.

3) Sagarin predicts a dead-even tie between these two teams. If this game goes to overtime, huge advantage to Missouri. National Rankings for Red Zone Offense (Missouri: 26, Nebraska: 81) Red Zone Defense (Missouri: 1, Nebraska: 81).

Only have to dispute 1 thing, and that is the Red Zone Offense since NU has had many of their scores from outside the 25yrd line so for this argument that is a very debatable. stat.

edit.. welcome to the board! :thumbs

1. I have a feeling martinez is going to make A LOT of freshman mistakes this game. MU brings a lot of different blitzes and i have a feeling he will force some throws that will get intercepted and be rattled by the pressure. Texas didnt blitz all that often while missouri does. I dont think he has seen a defense that has blitzed as much as mizou

2. I do not feel that our dline will get enough pressure on gabbert and he will have all day to throw. They do run a lot of 4wr rand 5wrr sets, that being said, I feel like gabbert will break down our d if we have to blitz to create pressure.

3. They are underdogs and most people expect them to lose which eases a lot of pressure off of them to us. I feel like we do not do as well when we are the favorites against a team.

4. Our oline isnt the greatest and i think their dline/blitzing will cause a lot of mental mistakes and missed blocking assignments. Their D has looked pretty fast.

5. We are at home.

In conclusion, I hope we beat the living tar out of missouri but i have a bad feeling folks (much like the ttech game last year and the texas game this year). I also feel the most critical aspect to this game will be the play of our dline. If they cant creat pressure by themselves then we are in for a longggg game. GBR!

1. I have a feeling martinez is going to make A LOT of freshman mistakes this game. MU brings a lot of different blitzes and i have a feeling he will force some throws that will get intercepted and be rattled by the pressure. Texas didnt blitz all that often while missouri does. I dont think he has seen a defense that has blitzed as much as mizou

2. I do not feel that our dline will get enough pressure on gabbert and he will have all day to throw. They do run a lot of 4wr rand 5wrr sets, that being said, I feel like gabbert will break down our d if we have to blitz to create pressure.

3. They are underdogs and most people expect them to lose which eases a lot of pressure off of them to us. I feel like we do not do as well when we are the favorites against a team.

4. Our oline isnt the greatest and i think their dline/blitzing will cause a lot of mental mistakes and missed blocking assignments. Their D has looked pretty fast.

5. We are at home.

In conclusion, I hope we beat the living tar out of missouri but i have a bad feeling folks (much like the ttech game last year and the texas game this year). I also feel the most critical aspect to this game will be the play of our dline. If they cant creat pressure by themselves then we are in for a longggg game. GBR!

Hmmm. Exactly opposite of my feelings. I am quietly confident about this game . . . I don't know why. I felt terrible about the UT game . . . and it went BADLY. Maybe me feeling confident about this game (which is rare for me by the way) portends good things?

5. We are at home.

That's the spirit!