Gameplanning for Mizzou

GMoose

This looks like the appropriate thread for a comment Watson made earlier today.

Jon Nyatawa of the OWH tweeted the following:

OC Shawn Watson credited Missouri's defense, but he seems confident that NU will run the ball well Sat. "They haven't seen anybody like us"

So I guess it's obvious our gameplan will involve running the ball ;)

I like the confidence our OC exudes with this comment. But, I worry sometimes he'll try to force the run even if it proves ineffective (see: offense vs Texas).

This looks like the appropriate thread for a comment Watson made earlier today.

Jon Nyatawa of the OWH tweeted the following:

OC Shawn Watson credited Missouri's defense, but he seems confident that NU will run the ball well Sat. "They haven't seen anybody like us"

So I guess it's obvious our gameplan will involve running the ball ;)

I like the confidence our OC exudes with this comment. But, I worry sometimes he'll try to force the run even if it proves ineffective (see: offense vs Texas).

I truly hope that Bo had a long sit down with Watson after that UT game regarding forcing a square peg into a round hole. If you're going to go out there and jump up and down telling everyone how "multiple" you are, DO IT!!!!

If Watson continues to keep that playbook open and continues to call games like he did saturday, we won't lose another game. Our offense, when called like that and EXECUTED like that is too good for the remainder of our teams.

I just skimmed, so if someone has already said this I apologize, but I think you HAVE to, absolutely HAVE to feed Helu and Burkhead. Missouri's secondary is light years ahead of OSU (OSU's secondary is terrible and a few of Taylor's balls had enough air under them that a skilled dback like Mizzou's would have a great chance at picking a couple). Thus far this year the O-line has looked to me like they can pass block but haven't proven they can run block real well consistently. I would challenge them to prove it Saturday. Line up and give Mizzou a heavy dose of between-the-tackles running. You combat speed by running at them. Several runs up the middle (at a first-start DT for Mizzou) will hopefully break him down a little as well as set up a zone read keeper for Taylor or some play action.

Rex and Roy are good, give them the freakin ball! Also, let's see Rex slip out of the backfield for some 20 yard catches like we saw early on in the year and should have seen against Texas.

I just skimmed, so if someone has already said this I apologize, but I think you HAVE to, absolutely HAVE to feed Helu and Burkhead. Missouri's secondary is light years ahead of OSU (OSU's secondary is terrible and a few of Taylor's balls had enough air under them that a skilled dback like Mizzou's would have a great chance at picking a couple). Thus far this year the O-line has looked to me like they can pass block but haven't proven they can run block real well consistently. I would challenge them to prove it Saturday. Line up and give Mizzou a heavy dose of between-the-tackles running. You combat speed by running at them. Several runs up the middle (at a first-start DT for Mizzou) will hopefully break him down a little as well as set up a zone read keeper for Taylor or some play action.

Rex and Roy are good, give them the freakin ball! Also, let's see Rex slip out of the backfield for some 20 yard catches like we saw early on in the year and should have seen against Texas.

psssstttt..........he did drop a TD pass on one of these if you haven't seen it.

psssstttt..........he did drop a TD pass on one of these if you haven't seen it.

That is why I said we SHOULD have seen... if he makes the catch, we see a 20+ yard catch for a touchdown

I don't think there is any comparison of the OSU defense to that of Misery. Indeed I think this year the are much better than Texas and that will be an obstacle.

I couldn't tell how much that Aldon Smith guy who was coming back from injury played, but I did see him make an interception and run it back a long way in a play that turned things around big time.

I don't know how accurate this guys projections are but if even close to accurate, he is a beast.http://walterfootball.com/draft2012.php

They are obviously very fast on D. The new back OU was using quite a bit seemed lightening fast and had great moves, but along with Murray didn't get a lot going. Landry had a lot of pressure and though he made a lot of plays, he was obviously hurried. It will likely be by far the most pressure TM has seen. If they over pursue and he gets some easy big plays, we may be fine. If they are successful in putting a spy on TM and frustrating him, I look for some turnovers.

I could be wrong because I've only watched two of Misery's games. Illinois and OU, along with part of their blowout at ATM. But IMO they are by far the best defense we have seen. As fast as Texas, but More disciplined.

I think we can win if we have less than two turnovers and have some success throwing the ball. I hope those calling for a blowout are correct, but I just don't see it . My guess is we'll have to score more than thirty. It might be a lot tougher than 51 at OSU. Can't wait for Saturday, and some rain would't be bad either.

Ugh if u watched the Illinois game then you knoe that Illinois outplayed them lol misserys lucky they won that game. I would do what Illinois and what the sooners did. Just dont turn the ball over and we should be fine I think

this is a very AGGRESSIVE defense. That being said, counters work against aggressive defense and misdirections. I would like us to run plenty of them and maybe take away missouri's aggressiveness. I also feel that we need to throw a lot of short patterns this game, i.e. screens, 5 yard curls and slant patterns. This will make them think twice about consistently blitzing.

I truly hope that Bo had a long sit down with Watson after that UT game regarding forcing a square peg into a round hole.

Bo is really not in a position to talk to anyone about square peg/round hole.

For some reason it would never occur to most to question Bo for stubbornly forcing the DL's square peg into his scheme's round hole. I bring that point up not to question Bo, but others have raised this as an issue. Whereas Watson is tailoring the offense to our QB's strengths, which is exactly why it looks like it does right now. I don't think there's anything objective or rational in the way people are looking at this situation. It seems to basically boil down to "Watson was a Callahan holdover, so let's attribute any knock on Callahan to him, whereas Bo surely walks on water and is the exact opposite in all of those categories."

Our future is the Pass Action Play

Let T-Magic spread out the field with a pass play at scrimage, then as the field opens up during the play and a running lane appears, Taylor is off to the races.

Doesn't matter if it is a design play or a pickup off a true pass play, it is always there for us. Amazing what a mobile, dual threat QB will do!

If I was the Mizzery D-Coach, this is what would be keeping me up at night this week.........

GBR

RR

Missouri tends to bring a lot of extra guys to stop the run and put pressure on the QB trusting their DB in single coverage. Especially now with the starting DT out, I would expect them to have to bring extra guys to get pressure and stop the run. Missouri will try and force Nebraska to beat them through the air if they can. I'm sure they respect the pass after seeing the OSU film but still, their defensive game plan will be to stop the run...probably give up some passing yards...and hope to force a turnover or two with their pass rush. And yes Aldon Smith is pretty much a beast and can cause a lot of problems in the backfield...not quite Suh but very disruptive and athletic.