Game Review
38NebraskavsNorthwestern17
October 18, 2014 | 6:30 PM | BTN
Game Preview
Nebraskavs.Rutgers
A warm welcome to our visiting Scarlet Knights fans!
October 25, 2014 | 11:00 AM | ESPN2
- - - - -

Desmond Howard comments on Bo

• You cannot reply to this topic
40 replies to this topic

#1 California Husker

All American

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:50 PM

On College Football Live, Desmond Howard says if Bo Palini would have talked to him the way he did to Taylor Martinez he would have “slapped the taste out of his mouth”.

Yeah, right.
Posted Image Posted Image

#2 knapplc

Legend

• Mods
  • 31,907 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:52 PM

On College Football Live, Desmond Howard says if Bo Palini would have talked to him the way he did to Taylor Martinez he would have “slapped the taste out of his mouth”.

Yeah, right.

:laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound :laughpound

Meanwhile, back at reality....

clEdF.png

skin_fetch.jpg

#3 irafreak

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:52 PM

Yeah, right.

Ha! And Des would've been off the team. Either Des doesn't think about consequences or is too stupid to care.
Disclaimer: Most of the time I mean nothing I say

#4 Micheal

All American

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:54 PM

wow great comment Des! I'm glad he got that out to the public.
Posted Image

#5 DJR313

The Bobfather

• Mods
  • 6,820 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:54 PM

Yeah right, Desmond is the definition of soft. He would have crapped in his BVD's if Bo got in his face. Well thought out discussion point, Desmond.

#6 ESPY

Heisman Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:56 PM

Howard: F'ing b****

Bo: What did you say?

Howard: You heard me! (quickly followed by a right hook)

Bo: That's the last thing you'll ever do! (said while ducking said right hook)

Bo: Get off my team! (counters with vicious left hook to Howard's face and subsequent knockout)
Posted Image

#7 HuskerJosh

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:01 PM

On Unsportsmanlike Conduct, someone said that he said if it was anyone but Bo, he would have done that because he has respect for Bo? I dunno, I didn't see it, just seeing if anyone else heard that.
Screw the Big 12

#8 308_Husker

All American

• Members
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:07 PM

He was at Michigan the same time that Bo was playing safety at OSU. I wonder if we can scrounge up any videos of Pelini taking his head off :lol:

#9 redout22

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,452 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:10 PM

Haha what a quote and that would be a fun sight to see. Desmond Howard is the man.
Posted Image

#10 GSG5545

Legend

• Members
  • 14,240 posts

HB Donor Scarlet

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:15 PM

I'm going to the next Game Day that Nebraska is involved in, cuz I will smack the moron out of Des's hollow noggin

CUZ7pa.png   burt99puvafb468s14ymjz6cs.gifIvmL5v.png

#11 BIGREDFAN_in_OMAHA

The Bobfather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:17 PM

He played for another coach named Bo that I'm sure yelled at him at some point.

#12 BigWillie

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,419 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:17 PM

As long as Desmond has been around football, and seen the egos and attitudes that these coaches deal with, he is disgusted a coach acted like this?

Truly :facepalm: worthy.

#13 HuskerfaninOkieland

Legend

• Members
  • 14,529 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:18 PM

Nothing more than Des trying to pretend he's a tough guy. Corso could kick his ass...I'm sure of it
"hey guys this is apublic cervice announcrymny.

i came in kinda late and chose to watch aome tevlision. a someone left a box of htese chewy chips ahoy on thetable near the table near the television. i never had one before so i had a cookie now i did. i did ant realize that i was keept keating them. like i had no clue. it was all ofer shocked when i realized i had finished a holy sleeve. they snook up on me. htey are not even that tastya but they have a lat of calories and fats so it is hardly even wort it. anywa i hope this helps becuause i feel the real sh#t abot this.';

manhats"

Manhattan
15 Sept 2010
02:29 AM
Posted Image

#14 gratefullred

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:20 PM

I couldnt believe he said that. I cant imagine anyone believing him and his arrogance. Its an easy thing to say 20 years later from someone cocky enough to pull off a heisman pose.

#15 bball_backer

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:26 PM

On Unsportsmanlike Conduct, someone said that he said if it was anyone but Bo, he would have done that because he has respect for Bo? I dunno, I didn't see it, just seeing if anyone else heard that.

He said he wouldn't have punched HIS coach bo, but he would have punched anyone else - which presumably includes OUR coach bo

Posted Image

#16 Street Novelist

The Bobfather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:31 PM

Desmond Howard is a moron and a showboater. If he would have ever slapped Bo Schembechler, Bo would have knocked the sh#t outta his scrawny ass.

flag-pins-spain-portugal.jpg0102a2df-3217-4865-a822-17edf50a7ba0_zps

#17 BIGREDIOWAN

Legend

• Mods
  • 25,178 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:46 PM

Yeah right, guy's all talk. I don't listen to much he has to say, he's a moron anyways.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 JTrain

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:22 PM

What crap. How many hundreds of players take tongue-lashings this bad or worse every day in all levels of college football (not to mention high school)? Maybe Desmond never got one because he was the all-star who they couldn't afford to make mad.

And yes, I realize there's a difference between practice and "on national television" but Bo was heated at the moment and not thinking about cameras on him. Bo has yelled at players (mostly for stupid penalties) before, but nothing to this degree, so you have to think TM did something to provoke it.

Yeah, ultimately Bo went overboard but in the end, nobody was hurt and TM has the ego to handle the blow.
Posted Image

#19 clone

Heisman Winner

• Members
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:07 PM

howard wasn't going to slap shembeckler and never said or inferred any such thing.

at least desmond howard isn't an internet tough guy. howard said what he said, PUBLICLY, ON TV, KNOWING Bo would hear it.

seems fairly gutsy to me.

howard isn't hiding behind a keyboard.

If bo doesn't like what howard says, he knows where to find him.

#20 Sparker

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:12 PM

He said he would only let someone yell at him like that if he had respect for them. If some nobody came up and tore into him like that, he would smack them.

#21 GMoose

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:16 PM

Yeah, right.

He said if he were a parent and Bo talked his child like that he would have smacked the taste out of his mouth. Slightly different context.

#22 zero_blitz

Scout Team

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:19 PM

I loved this comment by Desmond. As a man you have to respect his opinion, he didn't dodge the question, he gave his honest opinion on the situation. I have to give it to Taylor too for handling it so well. I know many a player who as soon as that index finger hit their chest would have quickly corrected Pelini. I'm all for coaching guys hard, but you have to be an idiot not to see he clearly crossed the line...

#23 maskershake

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:21 PM

I like how these guys get to comment on this but they really have no idea of what happened to cause Bo to get after Taylor.
I'm the dude playin a dude disguised as another dude

#24 teachercd

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,220 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:22 PM

Yeah, get the quote right.

Also, lets face it, Howard played in the NFL, I am sure he can handle himself pretty well. This is the lamest thread ever.

#25 clone

Heisman Winner

• Members
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:25 PM

hear it yourself.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5838941

about the 3:20 mark. he said anybody BUT shembeckler would have got the back of his hand... and went on even further after that.

#26 Hercules

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,511 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:26 PM

I loved this comment by Desmond. As a man you have to respect his opinion, he didn't dodge the question, he gave his honest opinion on the situation. I have to give it to Taylor too for handling it so well. I know many a player who as soon as that index finger hit their chest would have quickly corrected Pelini. I'm all for coaching guys hard, but you have to be an idiot not to see he clearly crossed the line...

See, I don't really care what Desmond says, but why would you credit him for saying this? He didn't dodge the question? What possible reason would there be for dodging a question that's asking you about somebody else's actions/integrity?

Desmond Howard has no idea what Bo was yelling at Martinez about. The only respectable thing to do by Howard is to say, "I wasn't there, I don't know what the circumstances were, so I'm not going to comment." All Howard did with this comment was throw out some bullcrap that he and ESPN thought would make some noise, so they can make more money.

Stop treating these guys like they have valuable opinions. They don't. They're just on television.

#27 knapplc

Legend

• Mods
  • 31,907 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:26 PM

No you don't. "Correcting" your coach in the manner you imply means getting booted from the team. And if you think yelling at a player is crossing the line, you either haven't played much football or you've been on some pretty weak teams.

I'll agree that Bo should have handled this better, but the only thing he should have done differently is do it behind closed doors. He was out of control and he has to work on that. But yelling at Martinez is the least of Bo's worries right now.

clEdF.png

skin_fetch.jpg

#28 bball_backer

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:29 PM

Yeah, right.

He said if he were a parent and Bo talked his child like that he would have smacked the taste out of his mouth. Slightly different context.

Sorry, but you are wrong. Check out the link that Clone was nice enough to post.

Posted Image

#29 clone

Heisman Winner

• Members
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:33 PM

No you don't. "Correcting" your coach in the manner you imply means getting booted from the team. And if you think yelling at a player is crossing the line, you either haven't played much football or you've been on some pretty weak teams.

I'll agree that Bo should have handled this better, but the only thing he should have done differently is do it behind closed doors. He was out of control and he has to work on that. But yelling at Martinez is the least of Bo's worries right now.

that is spot on.

It is Bo's team, the only thing he should have done differently is do it behind closed doors

#30 walksalone

Legend

• Members
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:42 PM

Desmond's got big b@lls from hundreds of miles away....

I shall fear no evil, for the shadow is mine, and so is the valley...

91e743ec-27f5-47cf-a036-7ccd145c5326_zps0000406_war-stories-and-free-beer_160.pnphoto_zpsa3cd0d9b.jpg

#FireTimBeck

#31 bball_backer

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:49 PM

:thumbs My thoughts, exactly!

Posted Image

#32 GMoose

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:49 PM

Yeah, right.

Sorry, but you are wrong. Check out the link that Clone was nice enough to post.

My apologies :facepalm:

I coulda sworn I heard differently when I watched it today.

#33 mnhusker

Grad Assistant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:55 PM

This is not the end of the world and we have no idea what the topic was. Seems Taylor is not too upset. By the way my 100% guess is that Taylor was talking some trash about his back-up qb and Bo caught wind, and I may be 100% wrong.

#34 schuhbdoo

All American

• Members
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:17 PM

Yeah, right.

I just listened to this twice. Desmond said if any coach outside of Bo Schembechler would've tried me like that, "I would've slapped the taste out of their mouth with the back of my hand."

The context wasn't stated in terms of a parent. He went on to say something about his dad too but we all hear things differently.

Howard was out of line to suggest a student athlete can slap the taste out of a coaches mouth with the back of his hand. What kind of message does that send to kids/student athletes? Bo gets paid millions of dollars to mold boys into men. I don't agree with Bo's actions and he apologize for them. For this arse-clown to get up on TV and say that is what he would do. He is full of it.

Bo is in a position of power and control. It is his team to run and by his rules. If a athlete tries to slap him then he would have to deal with Bo on the field and then would be kicked off the team. Bo has to do things with the rules of the university but he is the head coach and has the power.

#35 GMoose

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:22 PM

Yeah, right.

I just listened to this twice. Desmond said if any coach outside of Bo Schembechler would've tried me like that, "I would've slapped the taste out of their mouth with the back of my hand."

The context wasn't stated in terms of a parent. He went on to say something about his dad too but we all hear things differently.

Check out post #32 ;)

#36 newearthhusker

Team HuskerBoard

• Members2
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:44 PM

Howard is a former All American, Heisman winner, NFL Pro Bowler and Super Bowl MVP. He at least earned the right to be a opinionated analyst. If it was just some media hack then I could see why people would care. I'm sure most of the former players that are now studio people would say exactly what he said.

Jason Peter was saying some pretty harsh things last night on sound-off. If he would have said this nobody would have thought twice about it. IMO

#37 Hujan

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:01 PM

howard wasn't going to slap shembeckler and never said or inferred any such thing.

at least desmond howard isn't an internet tough guy. howard said what he said, PUBLICLY, ON TV, KNOWING Bo would hear it.

seems fairly gutsy to me.

howard isn't hiding behind a keyboard.

If bo doesn't like what howard says, he knows where to find him.

How is it gutsy? He called out a coach who was just publicly reprimanded for having too much of a temper and not controlling himself. I'm sure the last thing Bo can do right now is confront a TV personality, regardless of what that personality did or didn't say.

#38 Blackshirts007

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:02 PM

How's your predicted national championship team Miami doing? dumb bitch
Posted Image Posted Image

#39 rawhide

Team HuskerBoard

• Mods
  • 9,753 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:36 PM

You're making all the dumb bitches out there mad by comparing them to "The Des" :D

GBR

I donated for Childhood Apraxia.

http://www.huskerboard.com/hboard-donors.htm">Posted Image

Support the Board!

Posted Image

HuskerNation.com is operated by Huskerboard - sales help pay our high hosting costs to keep the board 100% free. We appreciate your help

#40 schuhbdoo

All American

• Members
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:09 PM

Howard is a former All American, Heisman winner, NFL Pro Bowler and Super Bowl MVP. He at least earned the right to be a opinionated analyst. If it was just some media hack then I could see why people would care. I'm sure most of the former players that are now studio people would say exactly what he said.

Jason Peter was saying some pretty harsh things last night on sound-off. If he would have said this nobody would have thought twice about it. IMO

My problem with Howard, he seems to condone a back slap upside your coaches face if a coach gets in your face. That is total BS. You are kicked off the team if you show that kind of violence to a coach who runs the show for a big time D-1 school. The same guy that said, Dennard Robinson never gets caught from behind but Taylor does, thus Dennard from Michigan is a god. Weak sauce 8 weeks ago and weaker now.

#41 Hercules

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,511 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:20 AM

I don't care if Howard invented football, he was commenting on a situation he had no real knowledge of.

A respectable commentary would have been, "Yup, Bo looks pretty mad there. I wonder why he's mad. Well, since I don't know why he's mad, I probably shouldn't comment on this."

Again, nobody cares about what Desmond Howard the All-American, Hesiman trophy winning, NFL Pro Bowling, Super Bowl MVP said. They care about what Desmond Howard, TV Analyst said. They care about what he said because he said it on television. And sometimes, people on television say things just to get you to watch more television.

Pick up your remote, and change the channel. The Daily Show will be on in a couple minutes. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users