b12 exit a precursor to b10 entry?

Reading countless articles centered on either us against the Big12, or the Big12 against us I started to wonder if this is just a precursor to what we'll be up against in the Big10. Anyone that thinks things will just be all rosy and sweet when we enter next year is naive.

I have a neighbor who played at OSU and is a HUGE Buckeye fan. His family are large OSU boosters and were in town recently from Ohio. After seeing me in a Nebraska shirt they quickly referred to NU as the red-headed orphan child they had to adopt. They were semi-joking...but from what I gathered being around them for a while it's the common sentiment among numerous fans up there. They belittled the NU program constantly while I was around.

From what I've gathered in the last 4-6 months, the Big10 is nothing like the old Big8 we talk about during OU-NU week. There is little to no respect among Big10 teams. Everyone seems to hate everyone when it comes to football. Maybe since OSU is the Texas of the Big10, my exposure to the conference has been skewed. But at this point I don't expect next year to be that great of an experience. A buckeye would just as soon spit in your face after a win as shake your hand. The "good-ol-boy" conference we talk about during weeks like this doesn't exist up north. Throw respect out the door; get ready for plenty of years where we are hated.

My guess is we'll have 11 teams cheering against us each week, so this week is a precursor to next year.

Living in KC which is kind of a melting pot for Big12 football - my neighborhood friends (and the guys I watch games regularly with) consist of a KU fan, a K-State fan, an MU fan, an Iowa St fan. (only watched 1 game w/ the OSU fan) For years I've watched football with these guys. I watched MU/KU dominate NU, and I've seen NU beat the crap out of them. At the end of the day I can still have a beer w/ the guys, no hard feelings. I'll collect the 6-pack I won, or pay up on the one I lost. There is NO WAY I could be friends and watch games w/ a Michigan/OSU/Iowa fan. I honestly think this family would have thrown beer on me in my own living room, which is kind of sad and something I'll miss. Our rivalries with Mizzou, OU, etc are build on respect and competition - the Big10 rivalries are built on hatred.

Living in KC which is kind of a melting pot for Big12 football - my neighborhood friends (and the guys I watch games regularly with) consist of a KU fan, a K-State fan, an MU fan, an Iowa St fan. (only watched 1 game w/ the OSU fan) For years I've watched football with these guys. I watched MU/KU dominate NU, and I've seen NU beat the crap out of them. At the end of the day I can still have a beer w/ the guys, no hard feelings. I'll collect the 6-pack I won, or pay up on the one I lost. There is NO WAY I could be friends and watch games w/ a Michigan/OSU/Iowa fan. I honestly think this family would have thrown beer on me in my own living room, which is kind of sad and something I'll miss. Our rivalries with Mizzou, OU, etc are build on respect and competition - the Big10 rivalries are built on hatred.

Well the people around you are much different that all those I grew up around in various parts of Kansas/Missouri. No matter where I went Nebraska was hated. No idea why. I was one of those kids that wore his Husker gear but never talked.

Well the people around you are much different that all those I grew up around in various parts of Kansas/Missouri. No matter where I went Nebraska was hated. No idea why. I was one of those kids that wore his Husker gear but never talked.

Probably because I didn't live here through the 90's, had I then it might have been different. I've only been here the last 5-6 years or so - when it's been much more competitive and we've gotten as much as we've given. Had it been the 90's they might have gotten pissed at seeing the stack of 6-packs in my garage from all the wins.

Yes I hate Wisconsin. And I will be cheering for them to beat whoever they play in the Rose bowl. Yes I hate Michigan but I still want them to win 4 games each year and will be rooting for them against whoever they play in December. I absolutely loathe Northwestern since we can't seem to figure out how to beat them - but I will wear purple and scream as loud as I can for them when they play later this year.

I always asked my co-workers and in-laws why they were rooting against Colorado/Texas/Missouri/Iowa State etc in non-conference and bowl games and the response was always along the lines of why should we want them to win. They suck. We hate them.

I have always been one to cheer for whoever was playing against Nebraksa just to shut up my co-workers, but I have been rooting for them to win every game this year because they are joining our family. Next year I will be cheering for them 7-8 times because now they are now my brothers and while I might say I hate my brother, nobody but another sibling better lay a hand on them.

• Fire 3

Reading countless articles centered on either us against the Big12, or the Big12 against us I started to wonder if this is just a precursor to what we'll be up against in the Big10. Anyone that thinks things will just be all rosy and sweet when we enter next year is naive.

I have a neighbor who played at OSU and is a HUGE Buckeye fan. His family are large OSU boosters and were in town recently from Ohio. After seeing me in a Nebraska shirt they quickly referred to NU as the red-headed orphan child they had to adopt. They were semi-joking...but from what I gathered being around them for a while it's the common sentiment among numerous fans up there. They belittled the NU program constantly while I was around.

From what I've gathered in the last 4-6 months, the Big10 is nothing like the old Big8 we talk about during OU-NU week. There is little to no respect among Big10 teams. Everyone seems to hate everyone when it comes to football. Maybe since OSU is the Texas of the Big10, my exposure to the conference has been skewed. But at this point I don't expect next year to be that great of an experience. A buckeye would just as soon spit in your face after a win as shake your hand. The "good-ol-boy" conference we talk about during weeks like this doesn't exist up north. Throw respect out the door; get ready for plenty of years where we are hated.

My guess is we'll have 11 teams cheering against us each week, so this week is a precursor to next year.

I don't think you can judge an entire conference on your experience with these people, I too am a tOSU grad. I have never had an issue. I currently go to grad school with several Big Ten people (even some Nebraska grads here) and we never have anything but playful jabs at one another during the season.

There was an issue with PSU when they came in, but that was b/c there was a ridiculous amount of press saying how they were going to come in and dominate the league, after a few years that went away (the treating of PSU as the stepchild). You will always find some jerks, but I don't see it being a huge issue by any means, especially since there is not the same sort of press as when PSU joined.

Every single Big Ten fan I have spoken to is happy about Nebraska coming in so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Not to mention, I know the large majority of Big Ten fans root for any Big Ten team playing an out of conference school, regular season or bowl. I still root for Michigan to win. (I wonder why people say "not to mention" and then go ahead and mention it anyways.)

That's just how Buckeyes and scum fans act. ;o) (To be fair, thats only a small minority of the fans)

Seriously though, it's not as bad as you make it sound. I went to Iowa for the MSU v. Iowa game and the people there were really friendly! People were offering us food (that wasnt spit on) and inviting us to pound homemade spiked cider (that they didnt pee in)! While at the game some nice hawkeye shared his flask of whisky with us (which I really needed after watching my team be jail-sexed on the field).

As for rivalries being built on hate, thats what makes them so fun! It doesnt mean you cant live, work, or have a beer with someone from another school. I live with 2 wolverine fans (who talked a lot of crap before we humbled them) and one of my good friends is a badger (I will probably will hit him "playfully" the next time I see him).

There is one caveat, from what I hear PSU fans are full of dbags. Think of Eagle fans, but in a college setting. (I hope your rivarly is better than our "rivarly" with PSU, by our rivarly with PSU I mean a game that neither fan base really cares about and that ugly trophey symbolizes it).

PS I am thinking about going back to school and think it would be cool to be at UNL for its first B10 season. How is the business school regarded in terms of its finance major?

It is not how you say it at all. I'm a student at OSU and everyone I have spoken to at games and at the bars and so forth are all really happy about Nebraska coming into the conference and how your program is such a good fit. The only places on the internet (well, anywhere) where people seem to think that there is this crazy couch-burning, child-eating monolith of a conference coming to pillage Lincoln are on Nebraska websites. I get the impression that you really want the hatred though; anything based on blind hatred and fear instead of rational observation is going to be more a more powerful experience, so it's understandable that you want this to exist. The reality is that most sports fans from any team (except Miami [FL], they don't have any fans) are decent people who are more than happy to share a good time at a football game. I have seen this even between Buckeyes and Wolverines. The only people that really get into the hate and fear-mongering are people who have developed a psychosis dependent on that relationship, or they're drunk college students. Hardly a serious position to take.

EDIT: And considering the overwhelming support from Big Ten fans on this forum earlier in the year makes this thread all the more ridiculous.