# 18 is "N"

Bumped us to #7 in Rivals team rankings. (#1 in the Big10) If they'd hurry up and give Sade his 3rd star we'd be top 5 easy. We have more 4* recruits than everyone but Texas & Alabama. That's sayin something. Just missing that ellusive 5*.

green is a legit 5 star and moore was pretty much the best OL-man from FL before he committed to NU.

And a Big time receiver or two....

We desperately need a player maker at WR. Of course we need the right offensive staff to develop him of course.

I don't necessarily think the WR's are the problem. I have attended 1 home game and 2 away games this season. At each of these games I specifically watched the WR's (how fast they got off the line, how they ran their routes, etc.) We have some really good WR's. At each of the games I attended, there were several WR's open all game downfield, off of the TV screen view. The problem is that both Green and Martinez consistently miss open receivers. When a passing play is called, each QB glances at their 1st target, their 2nd target, and then if neither are open on first glance, they will take the ball and run, or leave the pocket and scramble. Good QB coaching teaches the QB's to step up in the pocket when it collapses to allow for a second or two of extra time to take a second look at receivers downfield before scrambling. Niles Paul, Brandon Kinnie, and Mike Mcneill are open several times each game but our QB's either stop searching for them too early, or they throw balls that are incredibly difficult to catch much less make yards after the catch (behind them, too low, too high, etc)

If you watch Pro Style QB's (Andrew Luck, Landry Jones, etc.) these guys throw great balls for their receivers to catch. You will see them target an area right above their heads so that all the receiver has to do is reach up and grab it. For closely covered receivers, both Jones and Luck will place the ball at about the level of the receivers shoulders, giving them the best opportunity to come down with it. If you watch Taylor Martinez's ball placement for short throws it is a bullet to the ground, receivers have to dig for it... losing precious time to secure the ball and make yards after the carry. IF you look at his downfield balls, most of them are short... receivers have to usually slow down and wait for it, then catch it at their hips or waist, making them have to work harder to get away from defenders after the catch.

Now with that said, Niles Paul and BK do have things they can work on. But the reason you don't see Blackmon's, Dez Bryant's, etc. calibur receivers at NU has more to do with ball placement on the pass than it does the receivers working to get open for the ball. The big time receivers all have QB's that find them when their open, that deliver the ball with great timing, and that deliver the ball in an easy to catch area. That's something Nebraska needs to get better at developing/coaching with our QB's. I don't blame the QB's here, I blame the coaching. The reason being, schools with great pass coaching bring in guys produce guys year after year who place the ball well, and you see these kids get better at it throughout their college careers. (e.g. Oklahoma, USC, etc.)

Good QB coaching teaches the QB's to step up in the pocket when it collapses to allow for a second or two of extra time to take a second look at receivers downfield before scrambling.

This is on Martinez or Green here. As you said, you look at pro style QBs who are really quarterbacks, you won't see the same thing.

If we are going to rely on dual threat guys henceforth - especially young ones that played scout team WR last year, get used to some inconsistent 'making use of WRs'.

If you want to get down to it, you can't really *blame* them for just being young and raw. But you get my point, you're asking something pretty much impossible unless it is the right (rare) player.