Jump to content

Join the HuskerBoard Donor Team - Discounts on Tickets and Gear!

2013 Official Adidas Sideline Coaches Polo are N from HuskerNation.com!!! Discounts for all gear for HuskerBoard Donors!!!

- - - - -

The Prayer


14 replies to this topic

#1 hastingshusker

    Blackshirt

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Joined: 26-January 07

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:16 PM

Im looking for an official, word for word, version of the Husker prayer. My wife is going to paint it on our wall in our basement and I don't want the wrong words up there.

The main parts I'm wondering about are the blanks in these parts "a chance to equal our ______" and "________ can't be beat, won't be beat"

I've heard "stride" and "stripes" for the first blank, and both "The team that" and "'Till we" for the second blank.

Anyone know of any place for something official? I know there have been threads on here before, but I can't recall anything 100% definite. I sent a message to epoc and hopefully he'll help me out but thought I would also ask the board. Thanks

#2 redout22

    Legend

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,296 posts
  • Joined: 06-November 08

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:35 PM

Dont know how official this website is but this is the way I have always said it

Quote

Dear Lord, the battles we go through life,
We ask for a chance that's fair
A chance to equal our stride,
A chance to do or dare

If we should win, let it be by the code,
Faith and Honor held high

If we should lose, we'll stand by the road,
And cheer as the winners go by

Day by Day, we get better and better!
Til' we can't be beat...
WONT BE BEAT!


LINK
Posted Image

#3 I am I

    Heisman Winner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts
  • Joined: 24-January 07

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:01 AM

i agree with redout, except to be totally correct i think it should be "the battles we go through in life"

but yeah, i think it's stride.

#4 blackshirts5115

    Backup

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Joined: 11-October 09

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:19 AM

View PostI am I, on 27 December 2010 - 12:01 AM, said:

i agree with redout, except to be totally correct i think it should be "the battles we go through in life"

but yeah, i think it's stride.

I agree it definitely should be "through in life"

but as often as i've heard stride or stripes, i think it is strife, or at least that would make the most sense...

#5 NUniversity

    Scout Team

  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Joined: 27-December 10

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:45 AM

I agree with blackshirts5115 in reference to the word should, (and I believe is) "strife" as the definition is:

1. angry or violent struggle; conflict
2. rivalry or contention, esp. of a bitter kind

#6 kansas husker

    Head Coach

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,852 posts
  • Joined: 06-October 07

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:44 AM

Red out is correct its stride, and while "in life" seems correct it isn't. and it is til we cant be beat.
http://www.huskerbay...fight_songs.htm
Posted Image
sig made by miamihrrcns2001

#7 schuhbdoo

    All American

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts
  • Joined: 22-February 07

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:42 AM

View Postkansas husker, on 27 December 2010 - 03:44 AM, said:

Red out is correct its stride, and while "in life" seems correct it isn't. and it is til we cant be beat.
http://www.huskerbay...fight_songs.htm


Here is Cory Ross from 2005. Maybe he is leaving the "in" out but it isn't there.



#8 hskerholic

    Blackshirt

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Joined: 18-January 08

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:29 PM

I know in Jason Peter's book Hero of the Underground there is a chapter where he recites it word for word I will look when I get off work.
Posted Image

#9 In the Deed the Glory

    Grad Assistant

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts
  • Joined: 01-August 08

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:55 PM

Found this post on HuskerMax, I knew what stripes meant, but used this guys interpretation so I didn't have to retype it. Cory Ross says it wrong in the video and we say it wrong every week, but I have chosen to leave it alone. Choose your battles I always say. If you listen to old versions in videos from the 1997 season you can hear Wistrom/Peter say it this way...

Quote

If you read Jason Peter's book "Hero of the Underground" around pg. 65 or so, he has the prayer written and it states "A chance to equal all your stripes, a chance to do or dare."

Not to say that Jason is the authority but he was there during the prayer's rise to fame and I would bet that he said it a few times. :-)

The way he has it written in his book is as follows:

"Dear Lord,"
"In the battle we go through life, we ask for a chance that's fair."
"A chance to equal all your stripes, a chance to do or dare."
"If we shall win, let it be by the code, with our faith and honor held high,"
"If we shall lose, let us stand by the road and cheer the winners as they go by."
"Day by day,"
"Getting better and better."

"A team that can't be beat, Won't be beat!"

Since this is a prayer, I would take the Biblical interpretation here as "stripes." Starting with the opening "Dear Lord" followed by the line that says "a chance to equal all your stripes" would seem to me a reference to Christ's suffering prior to and during his crucifixion and then his subsequent resurrection. For the players to have "a chance to equal all your stripes" would seem to mean then for them to endure some sort of hardship or pain but overcome that hardship or pain to emerge victorious, much as Christ overcame death and was resurrected. Refer to I Peter 2:24 "who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness—by whose stripes you were healed." Also reference Isaiah 53:5 "But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed." But of course this is just my .

Not the Victory; but the Action
Not the Goal; but the Game


In the Deed; the Glory


Five Time National College Football Champions
1970,1971,1994,1995,1997


#10 hastingshusker

    Blackshirt

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Joined: 26-January 07

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:10 PM

Lots of interpretation...thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.

#11 knapplc

    Legend

  • Mods
  • 30,374 posts
  • Joined: 23-October 07

HB Donor Silver

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:13 PM

View PostIn the Deed the Glory, on 27 December 2010 - 02:55 PM, said:

Found this post on HuskerMax, I knew what stripes meant, but used this guys interpretation so I didn't have to retype it. Cory Ross says it wrong in the video and we say it wrong every week, but I have chosen to leave it alone. Choose your battles I always say. If you listen to old versions in videos from the 1997 season you can hear Wistrom/Peter say it this way...

Quote

If you read Jason Peter's book "Hero of the Underground" around pg. 65 or so, he has the prayer written and it states "A chance to equal all your stripes, a chance to do or dare."

Not to say that Jason is the authority but he was there during the prayer's rise to fame and I would bet that he said it a few times. :-)

The way he has it written in his book is as follows:

"Dear Lord,"
"In the battle we go through life, we ask for a chance that's fair."
"A chance to equal all your stripes, a chance to do or dare."
"If we shall win, let it be by the code, with our faith and honor held high,"
"If we shall lose, let us stand by the road and cheer the winners as they go by."
"Day by day,"
"Getting better and better."

"A team that can't be beat, Won't be beat!"

Since this is a prayer, I would take the Biblical interpretation here as "stripes." Starting with the opening "Dear Lord" followed by the line that says "a chance to equal all your stripes" would seem to me a reference to Christ's suffering prior to and during his crucifixion and then his subsequent resurrection. For the players to have "a chance to equal all your stripes" would seem to mean then for them to endure some sort of hardship or pain but overcome that hardship or pain to emerge victorious, much as Christ overcame death and was resurrected. Refer to I Peter 2:24 "who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousnessóby whose stripes you were healed." Also reference Isaiah 53:5 "But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed." But of course this is just my .



There is no "canon" version. It's not like this thing is etched in stone somewhere. The words vary from year to year. Who's to say Ross' version is wrong and Peters' is right? JP wrote his book ten years after he played at Nebraska. Memory fades.

None of these versions are accurate according to the source of this "prayer," which is a poem by Berton Braley titled The Prayer of the Sportsman. That goes:

[indent]Dear Lord, in the battle that goes on through life,
I ask but a field that is fair,
A chance that is equal with all in the strife,
A courage to strive and to dare:
And if I should win, let it be by the code
With my faith and my honor held high;
And if I should lose, let me stand by the road
And cheer as the winners go by.

And Lord, may my shouts be ungrudging and clear,
A tribute that comes from the heart,
And let me not cherish a snarl or a sneer
Or play any sniveling part;
Let me take off my hat to the warriors who strode
To victory splendid and high;
Yes, teach me to stand by the side of the road
And cheer as the winners go by.
[/indent]

Posted Image


Posted Image


#12 In the Deed the Glory

    Grad Assistant

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts
  • Joined: 01-August 08

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:18 PM

View Postknapplc, on 27 December 2010 - 03:13 PM, said:

View PostIn the Deed the Glory, on 27 December 2010 - 02:55 PM, said:

Found this post on HuskerMax, I knew what stripes meant, but used this guys interpretation so I didn't have to retype it. Cory Ross says it wrong in the video and we say it wrong every week, but I have chosen to leave it alone. Choose your battles I always say. If you listen to old versions in videos from the 1997 season you can hear Wistrom/Peter say it this way...

Quote

If you read Jason Peter's book "Hero of the Underground" around pg. 65 or so, he has the prayer written and it states "A chance to equal all your stripes, a chance to do or dare."

Not to say that Jason is the authority but he was there during the prayer's rise to fame and I would bet that he said it a few times. :-)

The way he has it written in his book is as follows:

"Dear Lord,"
"In the battle we go through life, we ask for a chance that's fair."
"A chance to equal all your stripes, a chance to do or dare."
"If we shall win, let it be by the code, with our faith and honor held high,"
"If we shall lose, let us stand by the road and cheer the winners as they go by."
"Day by day,"
"Getting better and better."

"A team that can't be beat, Won't be beat!"

Since this is a prayer, I would take the Biblical interpretation here as "stripes." Starting with the opening "Dear Lord" followed by the line that says "a chance to equal all your stripes" would seem to me a reference to Christ's suffering prior to and during his crucifixion and then his subsequent resurrection. For the players to have "a chance to equal all your stripes" would seem to mean then for them to endure some sort of hardship or pain but overcome that hardship or pain to emerge victorious, much as Christ overcame death and was resurrected. Refer to I Peter 2:24 "who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousnessóby whose stripes you were healed." Also reference Isaiah 53:5 "But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed." But of course this is just my .



There is no "canon" version. It's not like this thing is etched in stone somewhere. The words vary from year to year. Who's to say Ross' version is wrong and Peters' is right? JP wrote his book ten years after he played at Nebraska. Memory fades.

None of these versions are accurate according to the source of this "prayer," which is a poem by Berton Braley titled The Prayer of the Sportsman. That goes:

[indent]Dear Lord, in the battle that goes on through life,
I ask but a field that is fair,
A chance that is equal with all in the strife,
A courage to strive and to dare:
And if I should win, let it be by the code
With my faith and my honor held high;
And if I should lose, let me stand by the road
And cheer as the winners go by.

And Lord, may my shouts be ungrudging and clear,
A tribute that comes from the heart,
And let me not cherish a snarl or a sneer
Or play any sniveling part;
Let me take off my hat to the warriors who strode
To victory splendid and high;
Yes, teach me to stand by the side of the road
And cheer as the winners go by.
[/indent]


I suppose this is a solid point, however as a Christian stripes has always made sense yet aggravated me at the same time. None of us can ever expect to equal the "stripes" Christ earned and bore for us...anyway don't want to get all preachy.

I like that prayer a lot, however. Thanks for posting that knapplc...

Not the Victory; but the Action
Not the Goal; but the Game


In the Deed; the Glory


Five Time National College Football Champions
1970,1971,1994,1995,1997


#13 knapplc

    Legend

  • Mods
  • 30,374 posts
  • Joined: 23-October 07

HB Donor Silver

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:22 PM

View PostIn the Deed the Glory, on 27 December 2010 - 03:18 PM, said:

I like that prayer a lot, however. Thanks for posting that knapplc...


No problem. I had never heard about that poem and thought the Husker Prayer was a purely Nebraska invention until someone posted the poem here earlier this year. Way to go, HuskerBoard!

Posted Image


Posted Image


#14 HuskerNMO

    Assistant Coach

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts
  • Joined: 06-February 08

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:54 PM

View Postknapplc, on 27 December 2010 - 03:22 PM, said:

View PostIn the Deed the Glory, on 27 December 2010 - 03:18 PM, said:

I like that prayer a lot, however. Thanks for posting that knapplc...


No problem. I had never heard about that poem and thought the Husker Prayer was a purely Nebraska invention until someone posted the poem here earlier this year. Way to go, HuskerBoard!


I've also found references to Knute Rockne having used this prayer

"Dear Lord, in the struggle that goes on through life
We ask for a field that is fair,
A chance that is equal with all the strife,
The courage to strive and to dare;
And if we should win, let it be by the code,
With our faith and our honor held high;
And if we should lose, let us stand by the road
And cheer as the winners go by.Ē

- Knute Rockne, Prayer to Play Fair in the Game of Life



#15 HuskerNMO

    Assistant Coach

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts
  • Joined: 06-February 08

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:06 AM

Here is the most recent version from the thisisnebraska.com site, when listening, I think it's fairly clear that at least the current version, the players use the word stripes.







1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users