Welcome to Danny Woodhead's world

Welcome to Danny Woodhead's world

NORTH PLATTE, Neb. -- The place where Danny Woodhead comes from is not for wusses. The temperature hovers around 15 degrees below zero at dawn Wednesday, causing a frozen fog to settle over the Platte River and prompting a news piece on how to keep the cows warm. Breakfasts at the local diner are served with a blob of gray gravy, a giant sausage and a stern cardiologist's warning.

This Sunday on "Sunday NFL Countdown," ESPN reporter Greg Garber tells the story of Danny Woodhead's journey to the NFL. Because of the playoffs, "Sunday NFL Countdown" airs this weekend on Saturday and Sunday at 11 a.m. ET on ESPN.

They still buy the newspaper in North Platte. They still have flip phones, too, which are tucked away in heavy work overalls so as not to distract from the morning conversation. Most mornings, the talk starts with the weather -- wind chills are for suckers -- and ends with football.

This is Cornhuskers territory, which means Saturdays are for the Big Red and Sundays are for washing the car, doing chores and waiting another six days for a game. But not this season. Woodhead is playing in the NFL. And in this western Nebraska town of about 25,000, the New England Patriots have about 25,000 new fans.

Click the link to read more

I still hate articles like that. It always makes it seem like all we do in Western Nebraska is tend to the cows, slop the hogs, and watch football.

But good for Danny. I did not like him in high school, he was a prick, but I can't hate on him for his success.

@GSG5545, Amen to that. I know all the news agencies feel obligated to use the...he's from a small town line. Or the he's from a small college line. But, let's face it, those lines are totally played out. And if 25,000 is a small town, A TON of recruits have come from small towns. Texas articles about Colt McCoy referred to him coming from a small town that "had only one stop light." What would a town like that have in common with NP?

he would have been Rex ......before rex

Why because they are both white? :dunno

"He went down and met with [former NU coach] Frank Solich. I talked to Danny that next Monday, and the first thing he said to me was, 'Coach, why would I want to go someplace where all they tell me is things I can't do?' They told him he was too small for a running back, which is kind of ironic. … He was talking to Frank and looking at him eye to eye."

RETARDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice recruiting Frankie. :facepalm:

What is also funny about Solich line of thinking is the fact he signed Cory Ross a couple years earlier and that dude was pretty much the same size as Woodhead coming out of High School.

Other than that being an obvious and fairly irrelevent point. I think he was referring to a RB that is hardnosed, always seems to fall forward, elusive, deceptively quick, great hands out of the backfield, and a player that isn't afraid to step in and block a larger blitzing LB or DLineman. All things Rex does regularly and Danny did at CSC.

"He went down and met with [former NU coach] Frank Solich. I talked to Danny that next Monday, and the first thing he said to me was, 'Coach, why would I want to go someplace where all they tell me is things I can't do?' They told him he was too small for a running back, which is kind of ironic. … He was talking to Frank and looking at him eye to eye."

LOL.

Danny obviously would have been something special offensively for us. Not only can he catch the ball but he has great vision and can run too.

He easily would have been the crowd favorite.

Other than that being an obvious and fairly irrelevent point. I think he was referring to a RB that is hardnosed, always seems to fall forward, elusive, deceptively quick, great hands out of the backfield, and a player that isn't afraid to step in and block a larger blitzing LB or DLineman. All things Rex does regularly and Danny did at CSC.

Cory Ross did all those things yet you never hear anyone compare Burkhead to him. <_<

Cory Ross did all those things yet you never hear anyone compare Burkhead to him. <_<

Cory Ross was a bowling ball. Burkhead and Woodhead are of a similar body type.

Stop trying to make this a racial thing. Grow up. :facepalm:

• Fire 2

Cory Ross was 5-7 190ish which I believe is what Woodhead was listed around. :facepalm::facepalm: Burkhead is listed at 5-11 190. :facepalm:

It is just pretty silly :facepalm: that whenever a white RB gets brought up he gets compared to other white RB's. Or you could say the same thing about white WR's. :facepalm::facepalm:

I won't question things anymore because I would hate to come off as not "grown up". :facepalm::facepalm:

You know knapplc, he is right in a way.. Pork chop did all those things. Other than the weight Cory had on Rex and DW he fights a similar battle, being vertically challenged. But I can see many people making this a racial thing. just sayin