Big Ten Network

Hujan

I live in San Diego and am trying hard to get access to the Big Ten Network to watch my beloved Huskers. I signed a contract with Dish Network on the belief that I would get the Big Ten Network. After it was installed and I tried to check out the BTN, I discovered that although the BTN is part of my subscription, it is actually only available in states within the Big Ten footprint (e.g., Wisconsin, Illinois, etc.). Since my explicit reason for signing up was to get the Big Ten Network, I have grounds to get out of my contract.

So today I called up Direct TV and was told, once again, that I can get the Big Ten Network. When I asked whether that was true in all areas, the lady said yes. But given that she hardly spoke English and probably doesn't know the Big Ten Network from CNN, I am hesitant to rely on this.

So my question: Do any of you guys who (1) live outside of the Midwest and (2) have Direct TV actually have access to the Big Ten Network? I would love to hear from anyone in California, Arizona, or similarly far-flung places. Thanks in advance for your help, guys.

Edit: Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum. I looked at the others and none seemed appropriate for this question. Since the only real reason to have the Big Ten Network is Husker football, I figured this was the right forum.

Thanks for the replies, fellas. Looks like it is a reliable bet with DTV.

I have Dish and get the Big 10 network in Virginia with all of the alternate channels (so I can see all Big 10 football games) by getting the MultiSport package. This also includes NFL Red Zone and all regional Fox Sports networks.

Weird. I got Americas Top 200 on the belief that it would give me everything I'd need from the MultiSport Package. Perhaps the BTN only counts as a "Top 200" in Big Ten country. When I called, I asked if it would make a difference if I went with the MultiSport Package and they said no. I'll have to call and have them check again. You'd think this would be pretty easy to resolve, but apparently not. It is freaking satellite, after all.

When I look on the Dish website under Packages>HD Packages, the Big 10 network has a footnote under Top 200 and Top 250: 2 = Available in: Ohio, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois and sections of Pennsylvania and Indiana. I'm guessing Nebraska will be added to this list. So you have to spend another $7 to get the Multisport package if you're outside of the Big 10. This is definitely what I needed to get it.

When I look on the Dish website under Packages>HD Packages, the Big 10 network has a footnote under Top 200 and Top 250: 2 = Available in: Ohio, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois and sections of Pennsylvania and Indiana. I'm guessing Nebraska will be added to this list. So you have to spend another $7 to get the Multisport package if you're outside of the Big 10. This is definitely what I needed to get it.

i get the sports package. it is worth it for redzone alone. also, the nfl and nba networks are pretty good and the big 10 is great. all three are better than espn. big 10 is a great sports channel, very well done.

i get the sports package. it is worth it for redzone alone. also, the nfl and nba networks are pretty good and the big 10 is great. all three are better than espn. big 10 is a great sports channel, very well done.

Sd'sker, do you have Dish Network? I'm guessing "Sd" stands for South Dakota, not San Diego?

Agree. I'm in California and have dish network. I had to buy the multisport pkg also to get the big10 network, but the redzone channel alone is worth the $7 a month. I played fantasy football for the first time this year and redzone got me hooked on it.

What everyone else has said--you have to pony up extra to get the Big 10 network out of footprint on Dish. DirecTV has it available for everyone on the same tier.

Also, if you have Verizon FiOS in your area, the Big 10 Network is available if you procure their secondary sports package. That includes Fox Soccer (great for Premier League soccer), YES Network (Yankees/Mets/Arsenal soccer), NFL Network, MLB Network (better coverage than ESPN IMO), NBA Network, and NHL Network (great just based off of their live broadcast of Hockey Night in Canada alone).

Plus, having a 30/30Mbps connection isn't anything to sluff off, either. :)

Sd'sker, do you have Dish Network? I'm guessing "Sd" stands for South Dakota, not San Diego?

yes to both. i really like dish, but i have a friend who swears by direct and ridicules me constantly for having dish. i think it will be easy to get the big 10 whichever way you go.

Speaking of the B10 Network, I saw my first NU event on Friday. NU vs. Wisky dual wrestling meet. We hung tough most of the way. Ended up getting beat 22-15 by the #4 Badgers

Yup, good dual, but some of the mismatches were brutal. Announcers were pretty fair, didn't gush on either squad too much.

Still, Wisconsin does have a good squad--coached well, and there was a good turnout (considering).