Who's really our BEST Quarterback?

NEBRASKA's BEST QB  

187 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There is no way you can say Carnes, Starling, or Turner are better than Martinez, Green, or Spano at a collegiate level because none of them have taken a snap yet! Sure they might have great potential, but sometimes that doesn't work out (see: Cody Green). So I then had to pick between those three, its pretty clear.

Taylor Martinez is my vote.

It's a good thing those signs say "Through these gates walk the BEST fans in college football" rather than, "Through these gates walk the MOST KNOWLEDGEABLE fans in college football."

It's amazing to think that people could watch Martinez play and not recognize the superlative ability he has. But... so it goes.

Martinez is GREAT! He is an awesome football player and I have always rooted for him. He does not hurt us being on the field and I have never said that. But is it a stretch to say MAYBE someone could make us even better?

It was my opinion. And funny enough I found alot of people agreeing with me....

Seems as if the husker fans on this board are more JUDGMENTAL and QUICK TO CONCLUSIONS than anything.

Is there some reason you took this as directed personally at you? If I was speaking to you, I would have quoted you. Nor do I understand the angst over the "judgmental" nature of the board. If you find a board where members aren't judgmental, you've found nirvana. Good luck with that.

I don't think anyone is saying Carnes is better (well, maybe a couple) - but I wouldn't be at all suprised if by the end of the year he was starting (or even Green). I only have last year to go off, but Martinez was not so overly dominant that no one on our roster can unseat him. He has A LOT of work to do. I get tired of hearing about how great he was early while everyone ignores how pathetic he was late. Do his on-field decisions have to pass through his ankle before making it to his brain?

90% of this board (myself included) was convinced Lee was the starter last year, and 9.9% of the remaining felt it was Green. Who ended up starting? A WR on the scout team. Who's to say a redshirt freshman that played QB on the scout team couldn't unseat Martinez by midway through the year? I see it as more likely than I saw Martinez starting Game 1 in 2010.

I don't think anyone is saying Carnes is better (well, maybe a couple) - but I wouldn't be at all suprised if by the end of the year he was starting (or even Green). I only have last year to go off, but Martinez was not so overly dominant that no one on our roster can unseat him. He has A LOT of work to do. I get tired of hearing about how great he was early while everyone ignores how pathetic he was late. Do his on-field decisions have to pass through his ankle before making it to his brain?

He made some really poor decisions before the injury, he just had the athletic ability to make up for it. When healthy, the kid is extremely dangerous to defenses. No one in their right mind would argue with that.

But like all Freshman, he has a ton to learn. The game will slow down a lot for him next year.

90% of this board (myself included) was convinced Lee was the starter last year, and 9.9% of the remaining felt it was Green. Who ended up starting? A WR on the scout team. Who's to say a redshirt freshman that played QB on the scout team couldn't unseat Martinez by midway through the year? I see it as more likely than I saw Martinez starting Game 1 in 2010.

At this time last year, I thought Lee would be the starter. Maybe Cody Green. Because there was no reason at all to believe that Taylor Martinez would be the starter. Then the spring game happened, and there was a little reason to think he might be the starter, but those were just whispers from coaches over the summer. Really, no fan had any real reason to believe that Taylor Martinez was the best QB on the team until he he took his first career carry to the house from 46 yards out.

Right now, there is no reason to think that Carnes is the best QB on the team. Maybe he is, but to come out and say that he's the best QB on the team based on his high school tape when we've got a freshman All-American in the backfield is weaksauce.

If any other team out there had a freshman All American at QB, they'd think the future is extremely bright. Nebraska fans on the other hand debate whether or not he's even good enough to start the next season. Even the great Tommie Frazier didn't play lights out all the time. The difference being he had a better supporting cast than Martinez. One of the younger QB's might end up being a better QB than Martinez, but none of them are even close to him right now.

If any other team out there had a freshman All American at QB, they'd think the future is extremely bright. Nebraska fans on the other hand debate whether or not he's even good enough to start the next season. Even the great Tommie Frazier didn't play lights out all the time. The difference being he had a better supporting cast than Martinez. One of the younger QB's might end up being a better QB than Martinez, but none of them are even close to him right now.

because Nebraska fans watched the latter half of the season, whereas voters looked at some statistics and cast a ballot. Want to tell me he's a great QB because he led the 28th ranked offense in the nation?

• Fire 1

At this time last year, I thought Lee would be the starter. Maybe Cody Green. Because there was no reason at all to believe that Taylor Martinez would be the starter. Then the spring game happened, and there was a little reason to think he might be the starter, but those were just whispers from coaches over the summer. Really, no fan had any real reason to believe that Taylor Martinez was the best QB on the team until he he took his first career carry to the house from 46 yards out.

Right now, there is no reason to think that Carnes is the best QB on the team. Maybe he is, but to come out and say that he's the best QB on the team based on his high school tape when we've got a freshman All-American in the backfield is weaksauce.

Exactly - we just said the same thing. NO ONE had any reason to think Martinez would be the starter, yet he ended up starting. So for people to discount Carnes (when there have been equal amounts of whispers) wouldn't make a lot of sense. I do think as of today Martinez is the best QB. I'm not convinced he's the QB we'll have in place for the next few years though. I hope so though, because it will mean he's kicking some ass w/ the tallent sitting behind him.

Exactly - we just said the same thing. NO ONE had any reason to think Martinez would be the starter, yet he ended up starting. So for people to discount Carnes (when there have been equal amounts of whispers) wouldn't make a lot of sense. I do think as of today Martinez is the best QB. I'm not convinced he's the QB we'll have in place for the next few years though. I hope so though, because it will mean he's kicking some ass w/ the tallent sitting behind him.

Pre-Spring Game, 2010, there weren't ten people in this state who thought Martinez was in the mix to start. Right now we have a poll where 21% of respondents think Carnes is our best quarterback. If we'd have run this poll last year Martinez wouldn't have gotten 2% of the vote (and rightly so).

Pre-Spring Game, 2010, there weren't ten people in this state who thought Martinez was in the mix to start. Right now we have a poll where 21% of respondents think Carnes is our best quarterback. If we'd have run this poll last year Martinez wouldn't have gotten 2% of the vote (and rightly so).

Right - so why are people saying it's so impossible to think that Carnes could be starting next year? Seems to be a lot more momentum in his favor this year than there was in Martinez's last.

Right - so why are people saying it's so impossible to think that Carnes could be starting next year? Seems to be a lot more momentum in his favor this year than there was in Martinez's last.

I don't know the answer to that. You'd have to ask someone who thinks it's "impossible" for Carnes to start, and I think those kinds of people are very rare on this board. I'm of the opinion that he'll have a legit shot to win the position and if he can, he'll start - but that Martinez is most likely to start.

Of course, I also felt there was no way a healthy Zac Lee did NOT start last year, so what do I know?

For the record, I was a Martinez supporter about this time last year when everyone was telling me I was full of crap. I also think it's funny how zoogies said we aren't going back to the days where we build an offense around a guy that can't throw - yet we did, and are kind of doing exactly that LOL.

I also like the statement about how our offense is really flexible about how good someone is at running, but not about how good he is at throwing. This of course was pre-zone read days. My did that change when we went zone-read. Now it doesn't matter if he can throw at all, just run Forest run.

And after this latest round of recruits, I'd say our transition to QB's who can't pass is fairly concrete. Run first, run second, can you pass a little?

T-Mart was recruited as a QB. Bo always told him he'd get the chance to prove himself as a QB first...Mart just made it known that he was willing to switch if it didn't work out. He really only had the 1 year as a HS quarterback, give him time and I think he'll surprise people. He won the LA Times Player of the Year award - I think that's the same award Matt Lienert (sp?) won.

I think you can go back through Taylor's recruitment thread and see that he was not a QB. And if we had more depth at that position, he wouldn't be now (wasn't he working at WR during bowl workouts?) In other words, he got a 'shot' just like Travis Lewis got a 'shot' at OU to be RB, or like Prince got a 'shot' at RB here. Our QB situation being what it is, he will have a longer look. I still think he'd be best as an all purpose guy, a wideout who stretches the field and runs the wildcat for us. If you're going by media attention, Leinart was also a Parade All-American and a 5-star QB recruit.

As for Lee, I don't think he'll be playing this year because he fits the offensive identity we have mapped out - he'll be playing because he's the best QB on the very young roster. In an ideal scenario the guy under center would be someone different, though he proved he can be mobile in that Arizona game.

What's someone different? Someone that's less good at throwing but better at running? I think our offensive identity is really flexible about how good a QB is at running - but not about how good he is at throwing. He's got to be able to pass. If he runs like Crouch, outstanding. If he runs like Zac Taylor, well, that's OK too. As long as he puts up aerial production like Taylor and Ganz. I don't see how it makes the slightest sense for it to be the other way around.

Out of the guys you named - Spano is a 'dual threat' in the same way Zac Lee is a dual threat. Zac is probably plenty faster and more athletic too, even before the two ACL injuries. Carnes, while being athletic, is also a quarterback and not a project. Our passing QBs are Lee and then Spano/Carnes, with Green coming along after that. Green too, as we've seen, is no Tommie Frazier or Terrelle Pryor. He's being brought along as a passer and a field general, not as the next Vince Young, which he isn't. That leaves Turner, who is legit freak athlete at QB who COULD be a true dual-threat beast like Vick but is a project, and Marsh (a grayshirt DB) and Taylor (DB/WR recruit). Leaving out young Gabbert, who is athletic like his older brother but whose talent lies in his arm.

If you want to put stock in our recent recruiting, then you need to look at all the guys who were recruited and how they were recruited, not just the guys we ended up signing. In that case, you would see that we've gone after guys who are throwers and guys who are projects, making no 'transition to QBs who can't pass' as a future offensive identity.

If that doesn't provide a pretty good projection of where we are heading then I have no idea what will. I'm sure Suntrup is a spectacular player, but it might be better for all involved if this didn't pan out. We've got dozens of other recruits that have signed on with certain expectations to how the offense will evolve. To go back to the drop-back, pure west-coast offense because we have to develop an offense around someone that has no run-threat isn't fair to the rest of the team...just like signing a highly regarded wide receiver with the intention of giving him 100 catches a year, only to pass the ball 15 times a game.

I might add that our dozens of other recruits, including the linemen, receivers, etc, are not signing up for an old school Power I or wishbone or triple option or whatever scheme. We're not going back to the Osborne days and we don't have the pieces in place to run that kind of O. To go back to the option-left, option-right offense because we have to build an offense around someone who can't throw isn't fair to all of our talented receivers and pro-style OL. Not that it isn't fair, really, it just won't work. Zac Taylor and Joe Ganz were made by the same system.

because Nebraska fans watched the latter half of the season, whereas voters looked at some statistics and cast a ballot. Want to tell me he's a great QB because he led the 28th ranked offense in the nation?

Considering our offense was ranked 80th the year before, yeah I'd say he was a definite upgrade.

Well, I'm one who believes Carnes will be a better QB than anyone else on the roster at some point next year, whether he starts the first game or 5th. Anyway, I have never stated he IS the best, just that it's my opinion he will end up being our starter at some point during the season and not necessarily because TM is injured. Agree with me or don't, I really could give a rats ass.

But, I am definitely not a huge TM fan like some of you on here are. Just because he broke all these freshmen records doesn't mean crap looking into the future. What he did this year as far as running stats for a freshmen QB was crazy, but besides that I don't get much for goose bumps all over about other things, especially decision making, he did. Could he be great? Sure, but from what I saw last year he has a long way to go before I would even consider him good.

Now these are my opinions. Who's the best QB on the team? No one really knows right now, but I guess we will all find out this coming year. Or, we will at least find out who the coaches think is the best at any given time before or during the season.

I'm just giving my opinion, and my opinion is Carnes for QB #1 at some point next season and not because of injury problems at the position.

• Fire 1