Question about DTS

HankNU

Hopefully somebody on here can answer this question. I bought a Sony STR-DH510 5.1-Channel Stereo AV Receiver. Not the best receiver out on the market but it was in my price range. When watching Dish Network the receiver displays that it is receiving Dolby Digital 3/2/1 when available and sounds great. Which I believe means that 3 front speakers 2 surround and 1 sub woofer. Now when playing a Blu ray disc the receiver displays LPCM 48. Am I not getting True HD DTS or is the Blu-ray player decoding the information and sending it as Linear PCM 48HZ to the receiver. I am not extremely knowledgeable about this stuff but thought maybe somebody would have an answer.

Thanks in advance

Hopefully somebody on here can answer this question. I bought a Sony STR-DH510 5.1-Channel Stereo AV Receiver. Not the best receiver out on the market but it was in my price range. When watching Dish Network the receiver displays that it is receiving Dolby Digital 3/2/1 when available and sounds great. Which I believe means that 3 front speakers 2 surround and 1 sub woofer. Now when playing a Blu ray disc the receiver displays LPCM 48. Am I not getting True HD DTS or is the Blu-ray player decoding the information and sending it as Linear PCM 48HZ to the receiver. I am not extremely knowledgeable about this stuff but thought maybe somebody would have an answer.

Thanks in advance

what's your connections running from the Blu-ray player to your receiver?

LPCM is just a method of encoding the audio. It can be used to encode both two channel or multi channel audio. It all depends on the source and the cabling you're using. And by source...you'll need a Blu-ray disc that has DTS-HD encoding on it.

Thanks in advance

what's your connections running from the Blu-ray player to your receiver?

LPCM is just a method of encoding the audio. It can be used to encode both two channel or multi channel audio. It all depends on the source and the cabling you're using. And by source...you'll need a Blu-ray disc that has DTS-HD encoding on it.

I am using HDMI in to the Sony receiver from the Blu ray same with Dish. Then HDMI out from the receiver to the TV. Its seem to always display LPCM 48 whether the Blu ray has DTS-HD encoding on it or not.

then you should have it set up right.

I took a brief glance at your manual. I don't see anywhere that it says it supports DTS-HD. Still, your DTS receiver should still be able to decode the core surround data.

I have a similar receiver. What I do is just turn the A.F.D Auto on. That way the receiver decodes the audio as it was intended...selecting the correct mode for me without adding any crappy "surround effects". Listen closely to all your speakers during an action sequence or something. If they're all outputting sound...then you should be all set.

---edit---

just saw on another site that DTS-HD is supported with your unit. As long as you have an HDMI cable, a DTS-HD disc, and the AFD Auto on...the LPCM 48kHz is probably stating that it's working fine. Of course, it's probably downmixing any 8 channel info to 5.1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a STR DE895, so I am not sure what you have for options. I enjoy all the "crappy" surround effects, that's why I have a home theatre room. When using the AFD button on the remote can you scroll through several options? When playing a blu-ray I get the best sound from PL II Movie or if you want a little less bass try PL II Music.

You should have a surround test button on the remote to make sure all the speakers are working correctly. If you find what you like you can go into options and adjust the output of each speaker to your liking.