SIGNED DT Vincent Valentine

Nexus

One can't assume anything with recruiting. Every top school fills with 4 star and 5 star talent and only some of it ever pans out. It mostly comes down to character and coaching. We need to continue to get good talent but nothing is guaranteed with any recruit. Getting peat, mcmullen, thurston and Valentine is just a start.

This could very well end up being a great class. It could easily play out something like this... with one 5*, eleven 4*, and five 3*. Not too shabby...

OL Andrus Peat 5* Rivals

WR Jordan Westerkamp 4* Scout

LB Michael Rose 4* Scout

OL Paul Thurston 4* Rivals

DE Greg McMullen 4* Rivals

DT Vincent Valentine 4* Scout

DE Taiwan Johnson 4* Scout

QB Devin Fuller 4* Rivals

WR Monty Madaris 4* Scout

LB Quanzell Lambert 4* Rivals

DB Jordan Diggs 4* Rivals

DB Brandon Beaver 4* Rivals

DB Tyreece Jiles 3* Rivals

OL Mike Shoff 3* Rivals

LB Joe Robinson 3* Rivals (5.7 so almost 4*)

TE Sam Cotton 3* Rivals

TE Orlando David 3* Rivals

This could very well end up being a great class. It could easily play out something like this... with one 5*, eleven 4*, and five 3*. Not too shabby...

OL Andrus Peat 5* Rivals

LB Michael Rose 4* Scout

OL Mike Shoff 3* Rivals

TE Sam Cotton 3* Rivals

I realize you're only using Rivals & Scout as references, but Robinson is 4* on ESPN.

• 3 weeks later...

OL Andrus Peat 5* Rivals

LB Michael Rose 4* Scout

OL Mike Shoff 3* Rivals

TE Sam Cotton 3* Rivals

Not a bad list at all...but I don't think that Fuller makes it but I have Armstrong in his place. Other than that, hard to argue with that class.

OL Andrus Peat 5* Rivals

LB Michael Rose 4* Scout

OL Mike Shoff 3* Rivals

TE Sam Cotton 3* Rivals

Seems a bit over optomistic to me....Hope you are right though....If we can get classes with a majority of 4 star talent, combined with our walk on kids who will PUSH every one of our top recruits...booting a few out of their starting line ups, we have a great chance to be back up there in top 5 land year after year.

• 2 weeks later...

from scout...

Vincent Valentine, a highly coveted DT from Edwardsville (Ill.), has just returned from some visits and has a couple left to go. One of the teams that will still host Valentine before the summer ends is Nebraska. What are his thoughts about the Huskers recruiting him and what is he looking forward to seeing in Lincoln? Check out why you should take advantage of our Buy 1 Get 2 FREE deal.

It’s been discussed ad nauseum that the 2011 class for Nebraska is going to be small. A small part of the upcoming class will be defensive tackle; which might consist of just one player. It’s going to be important for Nebraska to get the right guy and they have had their eyes on Vincent Valentine for a while.

Valentine, a 6-foot-4 and 315-pound defensive tackle from Edwardsville (Ill.) has been doing anything but taking it easy this summer. He’s been getting ready for the upcoming season and he’s also been taking some trips and seeing some schools.

“The summer has been going good,” Valentine said. “I have been grinding it out on the field, working out. I just got back from seeing some schools and I go to see some more in a couple of weeks.”

Valentine is getting back from a series of visits and he has a couple of others that he would like to see before football begins. He doesn’t know when the next trips will happen for sure, but it has to be in the next couple of weeks.

“I have been to see Notre Dame, Illinois and Northwestern. I am still going to see Nebraska and Tennessee. I am not sure when I will make those trips. I haven’t talked that all out with my dad yet. I should know soon.”

The visit to Nebraska will be Valentine’s first trip to Lincoln so there is a need to see as much as possible. He says that he would like to see the campus and see how things go between him, the coaches and the current players.

“I definitely want to see the campus, how campus life is and how I interact with the coaches and the players on the team. I want to just see if they have that family environment that I am looking for.

“I am also going to be looking at their academics. I know already going into the visit that Nebraska has great academics and a great academic background.”

Valentine said that he has had a recruiting coach that has been assisted by the position coach at Nebraska. Both of the coaches have their own unique qualities, but both styles and approaches have worked very well with Valentine so far.

“Coach John Garrison is really my recruiting coach and I speak to Coach John Papuchis all the time. I really connected with Coach Garrison. He’s more about things off the football field. It’s just great to talk about things other than football.

“Coach J.P. is more about talking just everything. He wants to talk about what is going on with me on and off the field. He always wants to know how my summer is going; everything under the sun. He’s just a great guy. He’s told me about what I will see at Nebraska on my visit and how I fit in up there.”