Quarterback Competiton!

First, I'd like to address I probably spelled Chata-whatever wrong. Tenneessee is stupid.

Now that that is out of the way, let the quarterback controversy begin! I'll start by listing every quarterback on NU's roster, scholly and walk-on, with pros and cons of each.

Taylor "The Injury-Prone Incumbent" Martinez, RS Soph- One year of injury problems doesn't quite classify you as prone, but hey, I like alliteration.

PROS

Love him or hate him, the dude can make big-time plays when healthy (and the o-line is consistent). He's throwing isn't perfect but he's shown he is capable when given time to throw (see October 23rd, Okie St). Dynamic player, through and through. Also has the most experience of any returning NU QB, although this may not play as huge of a factor due to the revamped offense. New O is what he ran in high school, seems to fit his skill-set well. Heisman level running ability.

CONS

Questionable leadership, which is something new O-Coordinator Tim Beck has stressed greatly. Beck said he'd look at a quarterback's leadership – in the huddle and elsewhere – above any other attribute when picking a starter.

“He's got to be able to convince those guys that, no matter what, we're going to have success,” he said

Has Taylor matured enough to the point where he can be a true leader for this new offense, with young (but very talented) players all over the field?

Accuracy inconsistent at times.

Cody "The Disappointment" Green, Junior.

PROS

Game-Managing. Most well-rounded QB. Really not sure what else to put...

CONS

Quite simply at this point of his career, Cody has been an absolute disappointment. He still has an opportunity to prove himself this year, but the most highly touted QB of Bo Pelini's recruiting classes has looked more like a tightend that was gavin the playbook the day before the game, and told to play QB. He's been indecisive, unproductive, and appeared to be scared. He's an excellent person, a great guy to have in the lockerroom, but he is running out of time to do something with his career.

Brion "B-Magic" Carnes, RS Freshman

Relative of Tommie Frazier

PROS

One of the new-breeds of QBs that are built for spread offenses. A guy who is equally efficient at both passing the ball and running it. Strong performance in the spring game. Remind me of Darron Thomas, not just in that he started at Oregon as a RS Freshman, but in playstyle as well.

CONS

Other than that, we don't know a whole lot about him, which isn't a good thing. Inexperienced. Will the older guys respect him?

Kody "Old Reliable" Spano, RS Sophomore

PROS

To go through what he has and not given up or transferred tells me that he is one tough cookie.

CONS

Tore his ACL. Twice. Injured again this spring. Came to Nebraska to play in a west-coast offense... wasn't a scrambler before the surgeries, definitely won't be now.

Ron Kellogg III, RS Sophomore

PROS

He's a walk-on from Westside High in Omaha, so you know he's got that tough never say die attitude. Father played college basketball at Kansas and was a 2nd round draft pick, so you know he has ability. Maybe he should have a conversation with Doc... :P I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see this guy rise up on the depth chart in the coming years.

Bubba "The Wildcard" Starling

I'd like to start this by saying that I don't believe he'll play a game for us. But oh man, do I hope he will. And when I say wildcard, I mean this.

PROS

Rumors of 80 yard passes and 4.4 fortys have us all salivating over the 6 foot 5 baseball prospect. Please, come Bubba. Please. Yes, I am begging.

CONS

He ends up a Pirate, Mariner, Diamondback, Oriole, or Royal more than likely.

Feel free to add to the pros/cons of any player.

I see Taylor back in the starting role with Carnes as backup, and Green pushed into the Zac Lee role. Bubba proceeds to have a .200 lifetime minor-league batting average, comes to NU in 4 years and starts at a 22 year old true freshman.

• Fire 1

I am sorry, but why oh why do we need another one of theese threads???? Especially here, there are about 50 of these threads on the main board. Not flaming ya, cause we all love the Stache pic, but join one of those threads to see any and all other opinions on the situation.

• Fire 3

First, I'd like to address I probably spelled Chata-whatever wrong. Tenneessee is stupid.

Now that that is out of the way, let the quarterback controversy begin! I'll start by listing every quarterback on NU's roster, scholly and walk-on, with pros and cons of each.

Taylor "The Injury-Prone Incumbent" Martinez, RS Soph- One year of injury problems doesn't quite classify you as prone, but hey, I like alliteration.

PROS

Love him or hate him, the dude can make big-time plays when healthy (and the o-line is consistent). He's throwing isn't perfect but he's shown he is capable when given time to throw (see October 23rd, Okie St). Dynamic player, through and through. Also has the most experience of any returning NU QB, although this may not play as huge of a factor due to the revamped offense. New O is what he ran in high school, seems to fit his skill-set well. Heisman level running ability.

CONS

Questionable leadership, which is something new O-Coordinator Tim Beck has stressed greatly. Beck said he'd look at a quarterback's leadership – in the huddle and elsewhere – above any other attribute when picking a starter.

“He's got to be able to convince those guys that, no matter what, we're going to have success,” he said

Has Taylor matured enough to the point where he can be a true leader for this new offense, with young (but very talented) players all over the field?

Accuracy inconsistent at times.

Cody "The Disappointment" Green, Junior.

PROS

Game-Managing. Most well-rounded QB. Really not sure what else to put...

CONS

Quite simply at this point of his career, Cody has been an absolute disappointment. He still has an opportunity to prove himself this year, but the most highly touted QB of Bo Pelini's recruiting classes has looked more like a tightend that was gavin the playbook the day before the game, and told to play QB. He's been indecisive, unproductive, and appeared to be scared. He's an excellent person, a great guy to have in the lockerroom, but he is running out of time to do something with his career.

Brion "B-Magic" Carnes, RS Freshman

Relative of Tommie Frazier

PROS

One of the new-breeds of QBs that are built for spread offenses. A guy who is equally efficient at both passing the ball and running it. Strong performance in the spring game. Remind me of Darron Thomas, not just in that he started at Oregon as a RS Freshman, but in playstyle as well.

CONS

Other than that, we don't know a whole lot about him, which isn't a good thing. Inexperienced. Will the older guys respect him?

Kody "Old Reliable" Spano, RS Sophomore

PROS

To go through what he has and not given up or transferred tells me that he is one tough cookie.

CONS

Tore his ACL. Twice. Injured again this spring. Came to Nebraska to play in a west-coast offense... wasn't a scrambler before the surgeries, definitely won't be now.

Ron Kellogg III, RS Sophomore

PROS

He's a walk-on from Westside High in Omaha, so you know he's got that tough never say die attitude. Father played college basketball at Kansas and was a 2nd round draft pick, so you know he has ability. Maybe he should have a conversation with Doc... :P I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see this guy rise up on the depth chart in the coming years.

Bubba "The Wildcard" Starling

I'd like to start this by saying that I don't believe he'll play a game for us. But oh man, do I hope he will. And when I say wildcard, I mean this.

PROS

Rumors of 80 yard passes and 4.4 fortys have us all salivating over the 6 foot 5 baseball prospect. Please, come Bubba. Please. Yes, I am begging.

CONS

He ends up a Pirate, Mariner, Diamondback, Oriole, or Royal more than likely.

Feel free to add to the pros/cons of any player.

I see Taylor back in the starting role with Carnes as backup, and Green pushed into the Zac Lee role. Bubba proceeds to have a .200 lifetime minor-league batting average, comes to NU in 4 years and starts at a 22 year old true freshman.

Loving the It's Always Sunny reference

I am sorry, but why oh why do we need another one of theese threads???? Especially here, there are about 50 of these threads on the main board. Not flaming ya, cause we all love the Stache pic, but join one of those threads to see any and all other opinions on the situation.

It's just another thing to torture ourselves over for the next 3 and a half months...

The QB competition is over. T-Magic won.

I honestly agree with this, I just thought a topic discussing the quarterback situation would be appropriate, and who we feel should start. Topic title should probably read "QUARTERBACK SITUATION!"

Fear the Mustache, I love it!

Taylor Martinez starts, Cody will do some mop up later.

Eventually Bo will have enough of Cody and start putting Carnes in to do the mop up for Martinez.