SIGNED QB Tommy Armstrong*

ADS

Cannot find anything about him playing baseball, might just be the throwing motion he is comfortable with. But, IMO he is the best shot we have at getting a QB in this class. I'm not counting Fuller out, but he is more of a longshot than TA.

Cannot find anything about him playing baseball, might just be the throwing motion he is comfortable with. But, IMO he is the best shot we have at getting a QB in this class. I'm not counting Fuller out, but he is more of a longshot than TA.

Ya Fuller has way more options/offers than Armstrong.

Strong arm and a tough runner. Sign him up. This is our QB of the class.

sh#t the video looks good but doesnt it always... and i agree with you ez and this is the name i keep hearing again and again which means sh#t i hope we get him!!!

I agree that good video isn't a guarantee, and there exists more good video than players who live up to the potential displayed in them.

But video doesn't always look good.

Can anyone more qualified comment on the kid's throwing ability? He definitely has the arm, but hismotion looks quite awkward at times as he throws off his back foot. But other teams, he seems to be able to make really needle-threading throws.

I'm fairly clueless about this, but I don't know if his deep throws are going to be there at the next level. He can't loft it off his back foot like that, can he? He is a good runner though, and shows some very good promise with some of these passing plays, not just in the throwing, but how he executes them.

I'm not even sure mechanics are that much of a weakness, maybe it's just consistency, as he has quite a number of really good throws the more I watch this. The best news for me is that he doesn't jump off the page as the kind of guy who will be a liability in being completely raw and inexperienced with playing QB. In that respect, I'd be really stoked to get this guy in as one of our QBs this class.

I'd love for someone more qualified to make a call here to weigh in with this guy. EZ or Willie, what do you guys think? He jumps out to me as definitely more of a polished passer than Turner last year, and I know you were high on Turner's passing EZ. And being ahead of Turner in that category definitely puts him ahead of Starling, Green, and Martinez (in that category). And his athleticism, and nose for running the ball, are both clearly not lacking. I want to say this is the kind of QB I'd like to see us recruit more of, but without confirming opinions, I'm hesitant to put him into the same category as Carnes.

Also jsneb, lol :lol:

For some reason, this kid's throwing motion looks pretty similar to Mr. Wilson's out of NC State... and it looks a LOT like a baseball throw. Maybe this kid plays baseball?

I completely agree with the above statement. That is exactly who I thought of when I saw him throw.

To be honest Zoogies, I am a fan of the nice compact motion that he throws with. I think with that armslot he can be accurate, not lose much zip on the ball and most importantly he looks comfortable. I am not at all a fan of TMart's motion. I really don't know if we can ever expect him to throw the long ball with much touch.

If you look at the picture of Tommy that was on the front page of HI, he has his palm on the ball facing away from him. This is exactly how coaches are teaching to throw a baseball. He throws like a ball player.

I would say that after Rodriguez, that this is the most polished passer that we have on our board. Definately fits the system.

Not sure how you can say that T-Mart doesn't throw the long ball with touch, Kyler Reed would disagree I think. To me T-Magic seems to struggle with the medium crossing routes most. I Agree with the rest of your post though.

You mean the long balls that were underthrown and Kyler had to slow down for? This isn't a Martinez bash im just agreeing that his long ball could use some work

Not sure how you can say that T-Mart doesn't throw the long ball with touch, Kyler Reed would disagree I think. To me T-Magic seems to struggle with the medium crossing routes most. I Agree with the rest of your post though.

You mean the long balls that were underthrown and Kyler had to slow down for? This isn't a Martinez bash im just agreeing that his long ball could use some work

I think I saw TMart throw two pretty good medium to long ball all year: The ball to Rex in the Texas game that he dropped was absolutely perfect, and the one to Kyler in the Mizzou game.

If you look at when Tmart throws his elbow drops quite a bit. It sometimes drops below his shoulder which is when he really gets into trouble. Granted, you cant completely lead with your elbow when you throw a football, but the elbow has to stay high. If you watch Tommy, that is where his elbow always is. Nice and high. You can be accurate with that type of arm-slot. When your elbow drops, you will be all over the place because your body has to recalculate things every time.

I think I saw TMart throw two pretty good medium to long ball all year: The ball to Rex in the Texas game that he dropped was absolutely perfect, and the one to Kyler in the Mizzou game.

If you look at when Tmart throws his elbow drops quite a bit. It sometimes drops below his shoulder which is when he really gets into trouble. Granted, you cant completely lead with your elbow when you throw a football, but the elbow has to stay high. If you watch Tommy, that is where his elbow always is. Nice and high. You can be accurate with that type of arm-slot. When your elbow drops, you will be all over the place because your body has to recalculate things every time.

The throw to Kyler in the Okie State game for a touchdown was a pretty throw too. Tommy's motion is exactly what I would like to see from a QB.

The throw to Kyler in the Okie State game for a touchdown was a pretty throw too. Tommy's motion is exactly what I would like to see from a QB.

I think you just watched the same video I did Speed.

More often than not it just looks like Taylor is throwing the javelin with his motion. It is ugly. And the Okie St. to Reed, Mizzou to Reed, and the Texas ball to Rex were his best throws. The rest were low, behind, in the ground, or to defenders. I can't believe I just added to a Taylor's throwing motion thread highjacking.

More often than not it just looks like Taylor is throwing the javelin with his motion. It is ugly. And the Okie St. to Reed, Mizzou to Reed, and the Texas ball to Rex were his best throws. The rest were low, behind, in the ground, or to defenders. I can't believe I just added to a Taylor's throwing motion thread highjacking.

To conclude the highjacking attempt, I hope that TMart has improved his throwing ability a ton this year. I also hope we can get Tommy to sign on the dotted line. Got in on him early. Hope he has a big time senior season.

I agree that good video isn't a guarantee, and there exists more good video than players who live up to the potential displayed in them.

But video doesn't always look good.

Can anyone more qualified comment on the kid's throwing ability? He definitely has the arm, but hismotion looks quite awkward at times as he throws off his back foot. But other teams, he seems to be able to make really needle-threading throws.

I'm fairly clueless about this, but I don't know if his deep throws are going to be there at the next level. He can't loft it off his back foot like that, can he? He is a good runner though, and shows some very good promise with some of these passing plays, not just in the throwing, but how he executes them.

I'm not even sure mechanics are that much of a weakness, maybe it's just consistency, as he has quite a number of really good throws the more I watch this. The best news for me is that he doesn't jump off the page as the kind of guy who will be a liability in being completely raw and inexperienced with playing QB. In that respect, I'd be really stoked to get this guy in as one of our QBs this class.

I'd love for someone more qualified to make a call here to weigh in with this guy. EZ or Willie, what do you guys think? He jumps out to me as definitely more of a polished passer than Turner last year, and I know you were high on Turner's passing EZ. And being ahead of Turner in that category definitely puts him ahead of Starling, Green, and Martinez (in that category). And his athleticism, and nose for running the ball, are both clearly not lacking. I want to say this is the kind of QB I'd like to see us recruit more of, but without confirming opinions, I'm hesitant to put him into the same category as Carnes.

I concur, like i've said, you can look impressive against other kids in high school, but I would loves to see how this kid would fair with Crick, Camstache and the boys bearing down on him. Also, it's difficult to percieve how tough this kid is. I know there are some broken tackles there, and that always look good, and shows his strength. How will he react getting popped by a LB or a SS? The video makes the kid look 10 foot tall and bulletproof.

I read the hell out of your guy's critiques and observations, and value them greatly.

This kid right here is the type of build I like in a QB. Would like to see some film on him. Hopefully our new look on offense attracts some QBs that can play.

The young man certainly looks good on film. He is not hesitant and seems to have confidence in his throwing. His motion is not ideal... but ok. The results seem there. What were his stats?

Seems like a kid worthy of an offer to be sure. I'd love to have him.