Is it okay to be a gay college athlete?

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Former Nova player announces he's gay

by Matt Norlander Posted on: May 16, 2011 2:50 pm

We're getting closer to the point where athletes at every level will have no issue with the public knowing they're homosexual. As of now, we've yet to have an active American athlete in team sports come out of the closet, but stories like the one Dana O'Neil so fantastically crafted and presented will help us get to that point.

LINK

I fall into #2. I'm not crazy about the idea. But in the end it's that person's business. When it finally happens I'm not looking forward to all the negative attention and grief that person will catch for coming out of the closet.

It Really doesn't matter how the fan feels. It's his teammates that are the deciding factor.

Just as the military, it's the members of the forces that are the people who make the "gays" life a living hell or an easy one.

• Fire 2

This is one of the most stupid "taboos" out there. What possible difference could it make if the person was gay?

This is like asking if you would want the gay members of HuskerBoard kicked out. Why the hell should we? How does sexual preference matter to sports, or posting on a message board, or in any other part of life aside from the bedroom?

• Fire 7

I think NPH is still funny even after he came out. I don't see why it should be different for an athlete. If my favorite player came out and said he was gay, it's not going to affect my liking of the way he plays his sports.

And just so there's no confusion, there have been gay athletes at Nebraska for... ever. There are gay guys on the football team right now, just like there was last year, the year before that, blah blah blah. There are gay guys in the NBA, NFL, MLB, you name it. Gay dudes are everywhere........ but who cares?

It shows how immature this country is that we still care whether someone is gay or straight. It's like being 50 years old and still giggling if someone says "fart." People have sex. People have all different kinds of sex, different preferences, fetishes, curiosities, etc. We're a pretty diverse species when it comes to sex. Wanting to "do it" with someone of your own gender is just one of the literally thousands of ways people like to have sex. Why that one preference should be a big deal is just baffling.

• Fire 4

This is one of the most stupid "taboos" out there. What possible difference could it make if the person was gay?

Yeah, it’s a stupid taboo alright. But it is a taboo. At present anyway. I can’t think of any current athletes who’ve come out of the closet. Well, maybe in women's tennis/golf/basketball. But not in men’s football and basketball anyway. And you can bet that whoever goes first is going to endure a sh#tstorm of media/fan attention. Much of it negative.

Frankly, I’m glad to see HB so open minded about the topic.

This is like asking if you would want the gay members of HuskerBoard kicked out. Why the hell should we? How does sexual preference matter to sports, or posting on a message board, or in any other part of life aside from the bedroom?

No. Being a college athlete is *nothing* like being an anonymous poster on a message board. I agree with your premise that it would be just as silly to kick a gay athlete off a team as it would be to ban a gay poster. But anonymous posters would not receive even a tiny fraction of the negative attention that a gay football player would likely be exposed to. Not even close.

• Fire 1

It wouldn't bother me at all, it's his/her's life and they have the right to decide how they want to live it. I can't judge someone for living their life the way that makes them the happiest. It doesnt matter if it's in sports, the work place, school, or even just hanging out in a normal everyday setting it's their choice.

I think NPH is still funny even after he came out. I don't see why it should be different for an athlete. If my favorite player came out and said he was gay, it's not going to affect my liking of the way he plays his sports.

But that's Hollywood. A whole different universe than college football. Gays in Hollywood are more the norm than the exception. Both behind the scenes and on the screen. Even if most of the on-screen personalities choose to remain safely in the closet. Except for NPH of course.

But that's Hollywood. A whole different universe than college football. Gays in Hollywood are more the norm than the exception. Both behind the scenes and on the screen. Even if most of the on-screen personalities choose to remain safely in the closet. Except for NPH of course.

I wasn't trying to compare Hollywood and sports. I'm saying for me, personally, I could give two sh*ts what someone's sexual orientation is, whether they're an actor, athlete, or the frickin' mail carrier :)

• Fire 1

I wasn't trying to compare Hollywood and sports. I'm saying for me, personally, I could give two sh*ts what someone's sexual orientation is, whether they're an actor, athlete, or the frickin' mail carrier :)

Fair enough. I'm surprised and pleased to see the results of this poll being so accepting of gays in college athletics. I wonder whether the whole state of Nebraska, or fans of other teams, would be so open minded about this topic?

Yeah, it’s a stupid taboo alright. But it is a taboo. At present anyway. I can’t think of any current athletes who’ve come out of the closet. Well, maybe in women's tennis/golf/basketball. But not in men’s football and basketball anyway. And you can bet that whoever goes first is going to endure a sh#tstorm of media/fan attention. Much of it negative.

Frankly, I’m glad to see HB so open minded about the topic.

It's only a taboo because of sheer bloody ignorance. And just so we're clear, I'm not saying there's something wrong with being gay, I'm pointing out the knuckle-draggers out there who have a problem with it. And screw them and their baseless biases for making this something we even have to discuss.

No. Being a college athlete is *nothing* like being an anonymous poster on a message board. I agree with your premise that it would be just as silly to kick a gay athlete off a team as it would be to ban a gay poster. But anonymous posters would not receive even a tiny fraction of the negative attention that a gay football player would likely be exposed to. Not even close.

It's equally as stupid, and there's no debate about that. Yes, gay athletes would get more flak, obviously, since they're a public person. It's boneheadedly ignorant to like/not like a person because of what they do in their bedroom.

I think you're overstating the negativity they'd get, too. Sure, fringe wackos would have a problem with it, but who cares about the fringe wackos? The press would more likely celebrate them than castigate them.

I think you're overstating the negativity they'd get, too. Sure, fringe wackos would have a problem with it, but who cares about the fringe wackos? The press would more likely celebrate them than castigate them.

I hope you are right. Because I think it won't be long before some football/baseball player somewhere comes out. Maybe not this year, and probably not at NU, but who knows? And when it does happen I think the media will make a much larger deal of of it than they should. And afterwards, it will be a non-issue.