Is it okay to be a gay college athlete?

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

lifestyle choices that are definetely judgeable

aspeedlin is correct so I won't get into that aspect of it.

Everyone judges everyone else. That's what humans do. But some judgments have more merit than others, and some have more basis than others. Some are completely stupid and should go away. For example - I don't like 70s-era clothes, but I have a buddy who likes to get all dressed up in his butterfly collars and feathered pimp hat and take his girl dancing. I think they look stupid. That's a judgment. But I can recognize that my judgment is itself stupid, especially if I let it cloud my opinion of these two. They are not defined by the clothes they wear on the town, they are defined by so much more than that one aspect of their life.

Same goes for you, lions. I can get all righteously superior in my Bears fandom and look down on you because you choose to be a Lions fan, and the Lions have been terrible forever. I can let that judgment go off on tangents about what that must mean about you as a person, your character, etc. I could take it so far as to think ill of you, or look down on you. But that would be pretty damned stupid, wouldn't it? You are not defined solely by that one aspect of your life, are you? So if I judge you based on that, who's the fool, you or me? (I'll give you a hint - it's not you).

Everyone is talking about how it is their life style, who are we to judge. But if this person was choosing to shoot up heroine in there free time I would definetely judge them. I personally do believe that living a homosexual lifestyle is wrong. But it is just as morally wrong as all the guys out there sleeping around with girls. I would still cheer for him and support him as a husker, but would not support his lifestyle.

Comparing a a drug such as heroine, somthing that can kill you, to one's sexual oreintation is way off IMO. It is a choice that someone can make, but we are talking about someone's choice to sleep with a man or a woman. Not to take drugs, and do something illegal.

It is more extreme...but they are both lifestyle choices that are definetely judgeable

But one is illegal, and one is not. You can judge someone for being gay, but they are not the same.

I'm not saying it is the exact same thing. I was just giving an example of a poor lifestyle choice. If it makes you feel better, I'll change it to your best player (who is of age) is a raging alcoholic.

Ok, the problem then is how uncomfortable people get. Like I said topless cheerleaders are not showing any sign of affection, so that should be a no brainer by your thoughts right? I mean come on we are moving forward but you have to know that less than a hundred years ago Missery would not play Iowa because we had a black player. Sometimes things dont move as fast as we want, I want topless cheerleaders and you are arguing for openly gay relationships in football, hate to tell you I dont think either of us are going to get very far. I am not saying I agree with it, I am just saying I dont think people can handle it. We cant even get over long hair or the tat's part. I like your thinking, but people are not so intune. If 3 out of 100 are not so intune, what if those 3 were your coaches or your best players and it meant the diff between several NC's and tranfers and only winning 2 a season for 3 years?

You're choosing your analogies poorly. Bare breasts in American culture are inherently sexual. Being gay is not. And I think the poll here is indicative of the fact that most Americans can handle someone being gay. Most Americans have learned that a person being gay isn't a big deal.

The race issue is a good analogy. Would you support kicking all the White guys off of the Hawkeyes? Or all the Blacks? Or the Samoans, Hispanics, etc? If not, why do you want the gays kicked off? Because I have news for you - out of 120 guys on your roster, the odds that one of them is gay is pretty darned good. He may even be a guy who scores the winning touchdown in the big game. Are you saying you want that player kicked off your team because of something he does that in no way affects you? Why?!!?!?!?!??????

EDIT - I forgot to respond to the "uncomfortable" factor. Basically, tough s**t. I'll admit, I get grossed out watching two guys make out. Guys are disgusting, and two of them together is twice as disgusting. Guys are smelly, hairy, nasty gross creatures. Frankly I can't understand what women see in us - but I'm glad they see something, because I'm a guy and if chicks felt about guys the way I feel, I'd never get any.

BUT, my disgust over the male physique is my problem, not anyone else's. There are hetero guys who appreciate the male physique, and there are gay dudes who truly like it. Whatever. Their interests don't affect me in the slightest, so why should I care?

lifestyle choices that are definetely judgeable

aspeedlin is correct so I won't get into that aspect of it.

Everyone judges everyone else. That's what humans do. But some judgments have more merit than others, and some have more basis than others. Some are completely stupid and should go away. For example - I don't like 70s-era clothes, but I have a buddy who likes to get all dressed up in his butterfly collars and feathered pimp hat and take his girl dancing. I think they look stupid. That's a judgment. But I can recognize that my judgment is itself stupid, especially if I let it cloud my opinion of these two. They are not defined by the clothes they wear on the town, they are defined by so much more than that one aspect of their life.

Same goes for you, lions. I can get all righteously superior in my Bears fandom and look down on you because you choose to be a Lions fan, and the Lions have been terrible forever. I can let that judgment go off on tangents about what that must mean about you as a person, your character, etc. I could take it so far as to think ill of you, or look down on you. But that would be pretty damned stupid, wouldn't it? You are not defined solely by that one aspect of your life, are you? So if I judge you based on that, who's the fool, you or me? (I'll give you a hint - it's not you).

I think you guys are getting the wrong idea here. I have family and friends that are gay. I don't think that they are bad people because they are gay at all. I just think it is wrong. I would not think less of them as a person. I just do not approve of their lifestyle, just as I did not approve of Wilt Chamberlins lifestyle.

Ok, the problem then is how uncomfortable people get. Like I said topless cheerleaders are not showing any sign of affection, so that should be a no brainer by your thoughts right? I mean come on we are moving forward but you have to know that less than a hundred years ago Missery would not play Iowa because we had a black player. Sometimes things dont move as fast as we want, I want topless cheerleaders and you are arguing for openly gay relationships in football, hate to tell you I dont think either of us are going to get very far. I am not saying I agree with it, I am just saying I dont think people can handle it. We cant even get over long hair or the tat's part. I like your thinking, but people are not so intune. If 3 out of 100 are not so intune, what if those 3 were your coaches or your best players and it meant the diff between several NC's and tranfers and only winning 2 a season for 3 years?

You're choosing your analogies poorly. Bare breasts in American culture are inherently sexual. Being gay is not. And I think the poll here is indicative of the fact that most Americans can handle someone being gay. Most Americans have learned that a person being gay isn't a big deal.

The race issue is a good analogy. Would you support kicking all the White guys off of the Hawkeyes? Or all the Blacks? Or the Samoans, Hispanics, etc? If not, why do you want the gays kicked off? Because I have news for you - out of 120 guys on your roster, the odds that one of them is gay is pretty darned good. He may even be a guy who scores the winning touchdown in the big game. Are you saying you want that player kicked off your team because of something he does that in no way affects you? Why?!!?!?!?!??????

I think it's your analogies that are way off. Like I said so what if one dude is gay on a team, as long as he is not right front and center with it (openly). Bare breast are not sexual, (breast feeding mothers). Your point is a kiss is not sexual and bare breast are. I disagree they are but one and the same. Just as you have learned bare breast are sexual, I have learned kissing is sexual and the guy down the road learned that men with ear rings is wrong and the other girl learned that a dress above the knees is sexual. See my point? Now over seas they are decades ahead of us when it comes to this.

It Really doesn't matter how the fan feels. It's his teammates that are the deciding factor.

Just as the military, it's the members of the forces that are the people who make the "gays" life a living hell or an easy one.

Just like in the military the rules shouldn't be made to appease bigots. They shouldn't get to make the rules.

I think it's your analogies that are way off. Like I said so what if one dude is gay on a team, as long as he is not right front and center with it (openly). Bare breast are not sexual, (breast feeding mothers). Your point is a kiss is not sexual and bare breast are. I disagree they are but one and the same. Just as you have learned bare breast are sexual, I have learned kissing is sexual and the guy down the road learned that men with ear rings is wrong and the other girl learned that a dress above the knees is sexual. See my point? Now over seas they are decades ahead of us when it comes to this.

Testing which analogy is more accurate is pretty easy. If, as you claim, bare breasts are not treated differently in our culture, then simply have a female friend pick a block downtown and have her walk around for an hour. In most municipalities in America she'll at the very least get a visit from the cops telling her to put a shirt on, or in many places she'll be ticketed for public indecency, if not arrested.

At the same time as your female friend is walking around topless, have two other friends kiss once a minute for an hour. See if the cops say anything to them. When they don't, you'll understand the analogy.

But now you're backtracking. You're saying "so what if one dude is gay on a team." Your vote, however, was to kick him off the team. Not because he can't play or because he violated a team rule or anything like that, but just because he's gay. Why the change in stance?

And who cares if he's "front and center" with it? What possible business is it of me, you, his teammates or anyone if he's gay? And if he is gay, why should he have to hide it?

Testing which analogy is more accurate is pretty easy. If, as you claim, bare breasts are not treated differently in our culture, then simply have a female friend pick a block downtown and have her walk around for an hour. In most municipalities in America she'll at the very least get a visit from the cops telling her to put a shirt on, or in many places she'll be ticketed for public indecency, if not arrested.

At the same time as your female friend is walking around topless, have two other friends kiss once a minute for an hour. See if the cops say anything to them. When they don't, you'll understand the analogy.

But now you're backtracking. You're saying "so what if one dude is gay on a team." Your vote, however, was to kick him off the team. Not because he can't play or because he violated a team rule or anything like that, but just because he's gay. Why the change in stance?

And who cares if he's "front and center" with it? What possible business is it of me, you, his teammates or anyone if he's gay? And if he is gay, why should he have to hide it?

It would be more efficient to test both at once: Have two lady friends go bare breasted while making out in public. Then just ask the cops why they are being arrested, the exposed hooters or the kissing.

Also it would be more entertaining.

I think you guys are getting the wrong idea here. I have family and friends that are gay. I don't think that they are bad people because they are gay at all. I just think it is wrong. I would not think less of them as a person. I just do not approve of their lifestyle, just as I did not approve of Wilt Chamberlins lifestyle.

What is it about the lifestyle of your family that is wrong?

It would be more efficient to test both at once: Have two lady friends go bare breasted while making out in public. Then just ask the cops why they are being arrested, the exposed hooters or the kissing.

Also it would be more entertaining.

tumblr_llfo6vEwSs1qf1au0o1_400.gif

I would be okay with that.

Maybe I haven't been clear, I believe that the lifestyle of being gay is wrong.

What is it about the lifestyle of your gay family members that is wrong? I get that you think it's wrong. WHAT is wrong with what your gay family members are doing?

I also believe that the lifestyle is wrong. It is also against my religion. So is premarital sex. So is contraceptives, a female getting her tubes tied, getting my nuts cut. Another thing that is against my religion is judging others, hurting others so on and so forth. Basically what I am saying is keep your life to yourself and I will do the same. I assure you or anyone else we will have less problems than the individuals that choose to debate this for or against.

• Fire 1