SIGNED LB Jared Afalava

Pretty sure we line up in the 4 - 3 about 90% of the time. Not sure which games you have been watching. Are we recruiting more LB's. Yes, but saying that we are switching to a 3 - 4 isnt true. Go back and watch the games. Without the lettuce.

tell me something i dont know. we are in the big 10 now big dog. cant expect to match our personnel against big 10 teams the first year like we would like....and thats why we saw a drop off. in the future, we won't line up with 6 db's and lavonte david like we were in the big 12.

Thanks for the compelling update. That doesn't mean Bo ran a 3-4 most of his career. Let's all just agree that was a dumb thing to say and move on.

Pretty sure we line up in the 4 - 3 about 90% of the time. Not sure which games you have been watching. Are we recruiting more LB's. Yes, but saying that we are switching to a 3 - 4 isnt true. Go back and watch the games. Without the lettuce.

tell me something i dont know. we are in the big 10 now big dog. cant expect to match our personnel against big 10 teams the first year like we would like....and thats why we saw a drop off. in the future, we won't line up with 6 db's and lavonte david like we were in the big 12.

Not saying that we won't see more 3-4, but you are really off base when you say Bo is 3-4 Guy at heart. Since he has been a D-coordinator, all in the college ranks btw, he has always run a 4-3 base. He has mixed some 3-4 in but his base has always been 4-3 since he has been responsible for putting defensive gameplans together. I think he will stick with it primarily, your observations about 5-7 DB's has more to do with personnel based packages run to match what offense is doing. In the B1G, we have seen Bo use 3 LB's more and the traditional 4-3 more.

Not saying that we won't see more 3-4, but you are really off base when you say Bo is 3-4 Guy at heart. Since he has been a D-coordinator, all in the college ranks btw, he has always run a 4-3 base. He has mixed some 3-4 in but his base has always been 4-3 since he has been responsible for putting defensive gameplans together. I think he will stick with it primarily, your observations about 5-7 DB's has more to do with personnel based packages run to match what offense is doing. In the B1G, we have seen Bo use 3 LB's more and the traditional 4-3 more.

Probably true that most coaches would like to run more 3-4, but the number of athletic space-eaters available is pretty limited. I've heard a lot of coaches indicate that elite interior d-linemen are the hardest to find.

Rumor is that Afalava is a silent commit to us, but wants to wait till his all star game to announce officially, anyone hearing the same thing?

He is announcing on the 3rd at an all star game, between NU and Washington. Jared should be one of the three allowed oversignees. Odds are fairly good he may be an academic casualty

Rumor is that Afalava is a silent commit to us, but wants to wait till his all star game to announce officially, anyone hearing the same thing?

He is announcing on the 3rd at an all star game, between NU and Washington. Jared should be one of the three allowed oversignees. Odds are fairly good he may be an academic casualty

Yikes, didn't realize he had academic issues. I like his frame, he could be a monster.

Yikes, didn't realize he had academic issues. I like his frame, he could be a monster.

17 on his ACT. With his GPA and the sliding scale he needs a 19 or even a 20 to be eligible.

Grayshirt still requires you to get into the school, and he would then need to be able to get in on the academic side and not the athletic side.

Shark, what you are talking about is the Braylon Heard route. Send the kid to a junior college that has no football program, that way he retains his entire eligibility (5 for 4) as a player.

Grayshirt still requires you to get into the school, and he would then need to be able to get in on the academic side and not the athletic side.

Shark, what you are talking about is the Braylon Heard route. Send the kid to a junior college that has no football program, that way he retains his entire eligibility (5 for 4) as a player.

I don't believe Braylon ever went to a juco, with or without a football program. Did he not just take a semester off to "study?"

Is there a reason alot of these kids go the JUCO route instead of a prep school route. Pros, cons, etc. If anyone knows please give us the rundown and reasonings. Thanks.

I don't believe Braylon ever went to a juco, with or without a football program. Did he not just take a semester off to "study?"

yes i believe he actually took a whole year off he may have took a class or two but he didnt enroll anywhere im purty sure

Yes, Braylon took his needed classes at a local junior college in Ohio. The school did not have a football program, which meant he retained all of his eligibility.

IIRC, it can be done due to some changes in NCAA rules concerning eligibility with athletes who want to go to junior colleges. I think they phrased it as being a year for 'academic readiness'.

Is there a reason alot of these kids go the JUCO route instead of a prep school route. Pros, cons, etc. If anyone knows please give us the rundown and reasonings. Thanks.

Grades and just choice. Alot of kids who choose prep schools are typically close on grades, but just come up short. Schools, especially in the ACC and SEC, like prep schools for these kids because the coaches at these schools are VERY GOOD at making sure the player ends up at the same school they originally signed with.

Typically, JUCO players are guys who simply struggled more in high school. Not very often will you find a player that is able to become academically eligible after a year in the JUCO ranks. If you do, that player just made the decision that either: A) JUCO was simply better suited for me, normally because of closeness to home, or B) Due to an abundant number of JUCOs, it could help me get more exposure and better offers