SIGNED TE/DE Sam Cotton

I take issue with this commit for a couple reasons ..

We have low scholarship numbers in this class. We are likely looking at less than 15 recruits in this class total, so why are we in a rush to offer a kid from Nebraska who would take an offer regardless of when we offered it? If it is based off of what we saw in camp, then with Drew Ott being more impressive than Sam Cotton during camp, why is Drew without an offer?

My biggest gripe - Sam can come to UNL regardless of an athletic scholarship. With his father as an employee of the university, he can attend school, play football, and pay next to nothing in tuition costs. This goes back to my original point - with our limited scholarship numbers in this class, why are we not taking full advantage of the fact his father is an employee and Sam can get through school at basically no cost to the family? It's win-win for the football team, and for the Cotton family.

And for the person who mentioned Mike Shoff - he isn't getting an offer anytime soon unless he has an absolutely amazing senior season. Very unimpressive at camp. Drew Ott is the next in-state kid in line for an offer, if/when we hand out one.

BigWillie . . . I very well could be wrong and you probably know better than I do but I think that he would count against the 85 scholarships no matter how they categorized it. I know that you can't get around the limit by giving a star QB an "academic" scholarship . . . it still counts against the total if they are playing football no matter where you say the money is coming from.

(If I'm wrong, imagine the fun that the SEC schools could have with that kind of loophole!)

That didn't seem to be the case with Watson's kid as a walk-on or Cassidy's kid as a walk-on.

I take issue with this commit for a couple reasons ..

We have low scholarship numbers in this class. We are likely looking at less than 15 recruits in this class total, so why are we in a rush to offer a kid from Nebraska who would take an offer regardless of when we offered it? If it is based off of what we saw in camp, then with Drew Ott being more impressive than Sam Cotton during camp, why is Drew without an offer?

My biggest gripe - Sam can come to UNL regardless of an athletic scholarship. With his father as an employee of the university, he can attend school, play football, and pay next to nothing in tuition costs. This goes back to my original point - with our limited scholarship numbers in this class, why are we not taking full advantage of the fact his father is an employee and Sam can get through school at basically no cost to the family? It's win-win for the football team, and for the Cotton family.

And for the person who mentioned Mike Shoff - he isn't getting an offer anytime soon unless he has an absolutely amazing senior season. Very unimpressive at camp. Drew Ott is the next in-state kid in line for an offer, if/when we hand out one.

BigWillie . . . I very well could be wrong and you probably know better than I do but I think that he would count against the 85 scholarships no matter how they categorized it. I know that you can't get around the limit by giving a star QB an "academic" scholarship . . . it still counts against the total if they are playing football no matter where you say the money is coming from.

(If I'm wrong, imagine the fun that the SEC schools could have with that kind of loophole!)

That didn't seem to be the case with Watson's kid as a walk-on or Cassidy's kid as a walk-on.

Maybe those kids paid full tuition? Lord knows Watson's kid could afford it.

Longstanding equals 5 years, so in Barney's 6th year, starting in 2013 I think we could technically flip Jake and Sam over to walk-ons assuming Barney is still here. Obviously Ben will have graduated by then.

Cotton would only need to sit out a semester, basically a greyshirt. Barney was officially hired in early December '07. Sam could start the college semester in December '12, being off the football teams scholarship count.

Longstanding equals 5 years, so in Barney's 6th year, starting in 2013 I think we could technically flip Jake and Sam over to walk-ons assuming Barney is still here. Obviously Ben will have graduated by then.

Cotton would only need to sit out a semester, basically a greyshirt. Barney was officially hired in early December '07. Sam could start the college semester in December '12, being off the football teams scholarship count.

This is why I need to read the full thread before posting. Thanks for the clarification.

Agreed with Paulie Crew. He would have committed in November the same as he would have in June. Why offer now?

Here's my biggest thing. Anyone can really look great at a camp, and then tank in the team environment. It has happened before. Sam, may turn out to be a great TE(or DE if they move him), but he has not even been a full time starter yet, so knowing what you get on the game field is very inconclusive at this point IMO. Yes he saw the field when Southeast ran a two TE formation, but that wasn't very often last year. My thing is yeah, this offer probably was going to happen, but let see what the kid does in a full year of starting.

Again happy for a commitment, just still think the gun was jumped a little. Hell in both articles in the paper today he said himself he always was going to go to NU.

the kids didn't camp anywhere, so an offer from another big school was going to be unlikely.

He had two offer from other universities: Ohio and Tulsa according to my loca paper

Big school=BCS conference schools. Ohio and Tulsa have Nebraska ties so not wierd for them to jump in the borders and offer Nebraska kids

My mistake for not seeing and replying to this yesterday.

But yes, Sam would count towards the 85, only if he were put on an academic scholarship. Sam would count towards the 85 limit, but only for a year. Sam is a good student, so him coming off the 85 limit would be easy, if we had decided to go that route.

But Sam could be counted as any other walk-on of the numerous we get every year, and still receive the employee tuition benefits as I understand it. Would cost the Cotton family whatever they could not get paid from grants and things like that, but it would be nowhere near what some of the other walk-ons pay.

But even if we were deadset on giving Sam a football scholarship, I see no reason why we do not offer him a greyshirt just to push him back to next year. As I said, we are looking at less than 15 in this class. Asking a legacy player to sit out one semester then go on scholarship doesn't seem like a huge deal, and saves us a scholly in this class. Sam is going to redshirt regardless, so it would make sense.

My mistake for not seeing and replying to this yesterday.

But yes, Sam would count towards the 85, only if he were put on an academic scholarship. Sam would count towards the 85 limit, but only for a year. Sam is a good student, so him coming off the 85 limit would be easy, if we had decided to go that route.

But Sam could be counted as any other walk-on of the numerous we get every year, and still receive the employee tuition benefits as I understand it. Would cost the Cotton family whatever they could not get paid from grants and things like that, but it would be nowhere near what some of the other walk-ons pay.

But even if we were deadset on giving Sam a football scholarship, I see no reason why we do not offer him a greyshirt just to push him back to next year. As I said, we are looking at less than 15 in this class. Asking a legacy player to sit out one semester then go on scholarship doesn't seem like a huge deal, and saves us a scholly in this class. Sam is going to redshirt regardless, so it would make sense.

i wouldn't argue with a greyshirt, but we need to get some young TE's on campus and prepared as soon as possible, so i have no problem with bringing him in right away. if he's really the best athlete of the three, he could have a shot to contribute early. ben did and jake looks like he will as well.

I'm not an expert on ncaa rules but if your father is a coach and you play for the team I'm thinking you have to be on scholarship ...can't walk-on. I'm searching ncaa rules for this but have yet to find any. Either way Sam will be fine.

Where the hell is walksalone when you need him? He would have the perfect response here. And a lot of you know what that would be.

I'm not an expert on ncaa rules but if your father is a coach and you play for the team I'm thinking you have to be on scholarship ...can't walk-on. I'm searching ncaa rules for this but have yet to find any. Either way Sam will be fine.

I don't believe Adam Watson was on scholarship. He walked on when his dad was coaching. Austin Cassidy when his pops was here. Those two just come to mind.

To answer your question, the answer is no. There have been many cases across the nation of kids playing for their dads. Some have gone on to earn their scholly, but many walk on.