Official HB Good Beer Thread

Becks and Heineken both taste horrible....lol

Absolutely agree. Both have a nasty skunky taste. I was just finishing out the quote.

No doubt, I just don't understand why in the hell people drink them...

It's hard to find green bottles fresh, but when you do the taste difference is night and day. Just like Corona and Landshark. That's why I go for Rolling Rock, it's easier to find fresh.

Here's the issue with green bottles and clear bottles. They allow light to penetrate the beer and give no protection to the beer. The brewing company tells these liquor stores, grocery stores, etc., how to store their beer, but they refuse to do it because it's a pain in the arse. As a home brewer I can tell you, light equals bad flavors for your beer. After making a few batches of beer you'd be surprised how difficult it can be as far as sanitation is concerned and how careful you have to be with the beer. You have to sanitize everything, syphon the beer slowly without introducing oxygen to the beer, etc. etc. Makes you appreciate how much work goes into a good beer when you pick it up at the store.

Well, I started my beer tour on Friday. All the beers I drank were pretty good. I started out with Blue Moon. Obviously, I said that was one of my favorites.

Then I had:

26739.gif

Never had it before. Usually do not like dark beers, but I actually really like it. Would recommend it.

Then:

3356968_f496.jpg

Had it before, but not for awhile. Still good.

And lastly:

3773414953_51c5ff25fd_z.jpg

I know I live in Nebraska and this is a Nebraska based brewing co., but this was the first time I've had it. Very good.

Sierra Nevada: Pale Ale, Summerfest or Kellerweis

New Belgium: Fat Tire ( my last year at NU was a glorious one when they started to ship to Nebraska), Somersault ale, Ranger IPA

-and my fav that I can't get in CA and will drink whenever I'm in the Midwest? Leinenkugel Honeyweiss

Next four beers of the tour. If people get annoyed by me posting these, please tell me. I'm just trying to let everyone know maybe some beers they have never tried that are good so they can try them.

dos_equis_amber.e2195ml7cf4g4wkows04cc8k0.6ylu316ao144c8c4woosog48w.th.jpeg

Very good.

heineken_07.jpg

I'm sure most have had this. A different taste, but still okay.

redhook_seven_esb.jpg

Never had it before. Never heard of it. It's brewed in Washington state and it is damn good.

3966136557_59425b6658_z.jpg

Had it once before and it is still pretty tasty. Recommend all the beers I had tonight for people to try if they have not yet.

Absolutely agree. Both have a nasty skunky taste. I was just finishing out the quote.

It's hard to find green bottles fresh, but when you do the taste difference is night and day. Just like Corona and Landshark. That's why I go for Rolling Rock, it's easier to find fresh.

Here's the issue with green bottles and clear bottles. They allow light to penetrate the beer and give no protection to the beer. The brewing company tells these liquor stores, grocery stores, etc., how to store their beer, but they refuse to do it because it's a pain in the arse. As a home brewer I can tell you, light equals bad flavors for your beer. After making a few batches of beer you'd be surprised how difficult it can be as far as sanitation is concerned and how careful you have to be with the beer. You have to sanitize everything, syphon the beer slowly without introducing oxygen to the beer, etc. etc. Makes you appreciate how much work goes into a good beer when you pick it up at the store.

Exactly. That's why Heinekens, Rolling Rocks, and Corona like beers get a bad wrap. I wish more brands did those tall boxes like Sam Adams does.

Yep. I'm not sure (beyond tradition) why those bottlers insist on using the green and clear bottles. It seems like that would be an easier change than getting all distributors/retailers to have separate storage and display methods.

I've dabbled with the homebrewing as well. A few hits and a lot more misses. I think I might have enough spare time now to make a proper go of it.

Bought a 6 pack of this last week after trying it at the free monthly Empyrean Beer Tour.

woodchuck-private-reserve-2011.jpg

It's not at all like the regular woodchucks. This has a slightly burnt brown sugar taste with just a hint of cider. Excellent stuff but a bit pricey. Apparently it's a one time only thing so if you'd like to try it you'd best buy some soon.

This is what I always have on tap. Always. Since my junior year of college.

1991.jpg

By the way . . . if you don't have a kegerator you should probably get one. Best couple hundred bucks I have ever spent.

• Fire 1

Exactly. That's why Heinekens, Rolling Rocks, and Corona like beers get a bad wrap. I wish more brands did those tall boxes like Sam Adams does.

FWIW, I hate Sam Adams, I think it tastes skunky. I just bought some Coastal Wheat the other day, tasted horrible! I've had it before and thought it was decent.

Next four beers.

2623869176_96f71ae712_z.jpg

Honey Weiss, not Summer Shandy, which is also very good. Pretty sweet taste, but good.

Miller%20High%20Life.jpg

Meh. Most of you have probably had it before.

2574461306_610398a03e_z.jpg

Rasberry beer. Very good. Reminds me of Upstream Rasberry beer for all you Omaha natives. Its called Abita Purple Haze.

Product%20-%20Boulder%20Kinda%20Blue%20Blueberry%20Wheat%20Beer.preview.jpg

Blueberry flavored beer. Reminded me of an IPA type beer. Pretty good, but kinda strong and hoppy. Called Boulder Kinda Blue.