Official HB Good Beer Thread

35264.PNG

I was just reading the reviews on this beer on BeerAdvocate.com. One guy said it has a sour cherry/wine taste?

Not even close - Certified Evil is a dangerous beer. It more bitter than sweet dark like Guniess without the after taste. Goes down pretty smooth and will get you to a good place fairly quickly.

Hope they have this some where near me.

• 2 weeks later...
Along with the seasonal release of their Octoberfest, Sam Adams now has a Harvest Collection 12 pack available. 2 each of 6 different beers. Boston Lager, Octoberfest, Dunkelweizen, Latitude 48 IPA, Harvest Pumpkin, & Hazel Brown. I can't vouch for the last three (yet) but you can't go wrong with the first three. Just had the Dunkelweizen and it was an excellent dark wheat beer with a banana nose (from the yeast strain they used) and notes of clove and nutmeg. Reminds me of New Belgium Abbey but somewhat lighter bodied and a little lower alcohol content. This one could get a guy messed because it goes down very smooth and easy. This one beer alone makes the collection worth trying. I hope they sell it outside the harvest collection cuz I want to stock up on it.

An update on the harvest collection. Have tried them all now. The IPA is not real good. The Pumpkin was decent, fairly tasty but not full bodied enough for a pumpkin for me. I really liked the Hazel Brown. I had the lowest expectations because there are only a few browns I really like. Was pleasantly surprised. It has a toffee flavor that almost hints of chocolate. It was quite good.

1847_2.jpg

I had a couple of the best beers I've ever tasted this past Saturday night at Miller's Pub, a little place in downtown Chicago. Their menu has a wealth of great beers. LINK I had a Metropolitan Flywheel followed by a Weihenstephan Hefeweizen. Both excellent, tasty beers. I can't wait to visit that place again next time I'm in Chi-town.

/edit: @Undone: I didn't see your question before I made this post--didn't mean to step on it. I'm not familiar with Trappist Ales. But I looked it up. Definitely sounds like something worth trying. :thumbs:

I had a Metropolitan Flywheel followed by a Weihenstephan Hefeweizen. Both excellent, tasty beers. I can't wait to visit that place again next time I'm in Chi-town.

You can get Weihenstephan Hefeweizen at Blatt near the baseball stadium in Omaha if you ever need a fix before your next Chicago trip. They have a few other Weihenstephan varieties too.

I had a Metropolitan Flywheel followed by a Weihenstephan Hefeweizen. Both excellent, tasty beers. I can't wait to visit that place again next time I'm in Chi-town.

You can get Weihenstephan Hefeweizen at Blatt near the baseball stadium in Omaha if you ever need a fix before your next Chicago trip. They have a few other Weihenstephan varieties too.

I'll check to see if they carry the stuff in my local liquor store--or maybe pick up some next time I'm in Omaha. ( I live in Illinois, about 300 miles south of Chicago. ) I wouldn't want to drink Hefeweizen all the time. But like it once in a while, for a change. :thumbs:

No problem. :)

The Trappists are a sort of group of monasteries. I think there are six in Belgium and one in the Netherlands that still brew beer for the profit of the monasteries. So there are seven "brands" total.

In Lincoln, you can even get a couple of them at HyVee, and The Still carries a few of them.

HyVee has this one, in particular:

chimaybleuegrandreserve.jpg

This is the best beer I've ever had. This is Chimay blue; there's also Chimay red. Incredible stuff, and very expensive. It's like beer champagne, I suppose.

The Trappists are a sort of group of monasteries. I think there are six in Belgium and one in the Netherlands that still brew beer for the profit of the monasteries. So there are seven "brands" total.

In Lincoln, you can even get a couple of them at HyVee, and The Still carries a few of them.

This is the best beer I've ever had. This is Chimay blue; there's also Chimay red. Incredible stuff, and very expensive. It's like beer champagne, I suppose.

Chimay is excellent.

I really like St. Bernardus ABT 12. If you like Chimay you would probably like it too. (Probably already said that somewhere in this thread . . .)

^^^^I like your user name. :)

Chimay is excellent.

I really like St. Bernardus ABT 12. If you like Chimay you would probably like it too. (Probably already said that somewhere in this thread . . .)

Cool, glad someone else is familiar with it. I might actually like the red better; it's been a while since I've had either.

I'd really like to try the St. Bernardus as well. I've seen it many times, but typically picked up the Trappists as the cost is generally about the same.

Chimay is excellent.

orval33.jpg

This stuff is pretty good too although Chimay is my favorite.